Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tires feathering and Dealer is screwing me on known issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 03:45 PM
ColecatZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires feathering and Dealer is screwing me on known issue.

OK, I'm not naming who I bought my car from in the event they actually do the right thing and take care of the customer, but I will be sure and warn those who don't know of the situation if this doesn't pan out.

I dropped by the dealership on Saturday afternoon after the Z Club of Texas dyno day to let them take a look at the front tires. They are wearing terribly on the inside in a strange feather pattern. This is a known issue with several 350's and I was told it was caused by the shipping of the cars incorrectly. Apparently they are strapping the cars down too tight and/or by some part of the suspension. (no visible tow hooks) They couldn't get to it that day and I was asked to bring it back on Monday.

Today they are telling me that it won't be covered under warranty because of some slight curb rash on one wheel. I am meeting with the service manager in the morning, but TRUST ME this will go way beyond the scope of just the dealership. I'm really not happy at this point. Anyone else that has dealt with this, please shoot me an email. I need ammo and names of people to talk to. Both sides are showing identical symptoms to the known problem (that is being kept pretty hush hush) and I'm taking a hit becasue of a scrathed rim. Also being told I'll have to pay for the rental. This is far from closed.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 PM
PartsPeddler
Sponsor
Courtesy Nissan

Default Re: Tires feathering and Dealer is screwing me on known issue.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Steve

Originally posted by ColecatZ
OK, I'm not naming who I bought my car from in the event they actually do the right thing and take care of the customer, but I will be sure and warn those who don't know of the situation if this doesn't pan out.

I dropped by the dealership on Saturday afternoon after the Z Club of Texas dyno day to let them take a look at the front tires. They are wearing terribly on the inside in a strange feather pattern. This is a known issue with several 350's and I was told it was caused by the shipping of the cars incorrectly. Apparently they are strapping the cars down too tight and/or by some part of the suspension. (no visible tow hooks) They couldn't get to it that day and I was asked to bring it back on Monday.

Today they are telling me that it won't be covered under warranty because of some slight curb rash on one wheel. I am meeting with the service manager in the morning, but TRUST ME this will go way beyond the scope of just the dealership. I'm really not happy at this point. Anyone else that has dealt with this, please shoot me an email. I need ammo and names of people to talk to. Both sides are showing identical symptoms to the known problem (that is being kept pretty hush hush) and I'm taking a hit becasue of a scrathed rim. Also being told I'll have to pay for the rental. This is far from closed.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:26 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get mine covered under warranty either because of that rim I bent. I had to nut up, pay the $109 for the alignment and POS loaner and forget about it. You know what? I could give a **** now because it's fixed. Almost 3,000 miles on new tires and not a SINGLE sign of feathering.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:59 PM
ztom

This tire feathering issue is making me nervous. I've only got about 1700 miles on my 5 month old 350 (VIN# 2008), so I think if it is dealt with early I can avoid future tire problems.

Should I request free alignment from the dealer? Wouldn't that be better for them than springing for some tires in the future?

And BTW, what kind of warrantee is on the tires? (time?/miles?).
Old 02-24-2003, 06:54 PM
aggie300zx

I'm about to take that journey with my dealership on Wed as well (Bankston of Dallas). My tire feathering has gotten pretty bad. Hopefully they will solve the problem.

I know DakineZ worked with Trophy Nissan for this issue. I belive he got the alignment done for no charge, no tire replacement though. He added his story to a post from EZCheif who had taken his vehicle in to Bankston Nissan of Dallas for this very same issue. I believe he received the allignment under warranty as well. See the post below:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20170

I hope this works out for you, myself, and everyone else who will have this problem.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:18 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I just brought mine in for the tire feathering issue this morning (South County Nissan in Gilroy, also where I bought the car). I have 9,300 miles on the car and the problem has grown progressively worse to the point where the noise is now unbearable. The dealer said Nissan will only authorize cross-rotating the tires (swapping left and right to different rims) and the alignment. I haven't heard the results of the alignment check yet.

My position on this is: If the alignment check shows that the alignment was wrong, AND if an alignment is done and a subsequent test shows it to be within spec, AND if the tire rotation cures the loud low-speed tire noise, then I will consider this a satisfactory solution.

If any of those is false, there is a more serious problem: if the alignment already was in spec, this will surely happen again. If the alignment can't be corrected, same thing. If simply moving the feathered treads from the inside to the outside of the tires doesn't cure the noise, I still have the problem. So I will see what the outcome is tomorrow and decide if I have to make a complaint directly to Nissan or not.

I'll post the outcome tomorrow -- stay tuned!
Old 02-25-2003, 09:13 AM
3rdpower

My feather issue has gotten so bad it sounds like I'm running around on tank treads. It's definitely some type of an alignment issue. I am having this and my tranny checked out. I would highly recommend contacting Nissan North American Customer Service. I was having an issue with getting a rental car and they have resolved that issue and are completely aware of the feathering and transmission issues I'm now having. The dealer was 1000x easier to deal with once they were contacted by Nissan