Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2nd oil consumption test done SHEET!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd oil consumption test done SHEET!!!

On my first 1,000 consumption test, my Z used .6 of a quart.

The 2nd 1,000 mile measurement was taken today and it was down 1.5 quarts!!!! Used well more than twice as much oil as last time... WTF man?

I can see there will be a new partial or complete engine in my future.

They confirmed today that it is not leaking a drop of oil anywhere and the service manager said there is definatly something going on here. Gee really, you think

Just based on those 2 test results, which I know is not enough testing to confirm yet but that is 6 gallons of oil I will be going thru (burning up) in one year at about 2,000 miles a month which is what I have averaged since I bought the car in Feb of this year.

I have no idea how the hell it used so much more from this time compaired to last time. Both 1,000 miles were accured in a 2 weeks time frame and both times it was about the same mixture of city and freeway miles and the same grade oil used.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't oil consumption at that rate considered normal on a BMW or RX8....
Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Ztalker

i think oil consumption at that rate is considered normal on a BMW or RX8....
my 03 don't use any oil between oil changes.

Last edited by Ztalker; 07-28-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Ztalker
isn't oil consumption at that rate considered normal on a BMW or RX8....

Have no idea because I don't own either, therfore I have no interest or issue in what is normal use for those vehicles .
Old 07-28-2006, 07:30 PM
aren21

I duno about bmw's, but Ive heard that the v8 audi's have oil consumption, but audi says its "normal". Unless your car has a 2 stroke engine, I dont think any oil consumption should be considered normal.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
arejohn

Default Oil consumption

RX8s have an oil injection system to lub the seals so oil use is a feature to avoid mixing oil with the fuel.

With manufacturing consistent as it is today I don't understand why any current engine should burn oil.

For those of you with high oil consumption. How did you break your engine in and do you allow the oil to reach operating temp before driving hard?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by aren21
I duno about bmw's, but Ive heard that the v8 audi's have oil consumption, but audi says its "normal". Unless your car has a 2 stroke engine, I dont think any oil consumption should be considered normal.

+1 on that
Old 07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Ztalker

my buddy's 330i burns about a quart every 1k miles....dealer told him it was normal.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by Ztalker
my buddy's 330i burns about a quart every 1k miles....dealer told him it was normal.

Lets say your friend puts 1,000 miles a month on his car.

How can they honestly say with a straight face, that his car that's burning 3 gallons of oil each year, is normal?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Eliane

I did once almost 10k miles with the same oil and noticed NO oil consumption at all. Your dealer has to fix your problem – otherwise contact Nissan directly.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arejohn
For those of you with high oil consumption. How did you break your engine in and do you allow the oil to reach operating temp before driving hard?
+1
Old 07-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Chad68

My Z is 5 months old and at 9,5000 miles now.

My Z is burning oil like a ****. A new engine will be inevitable.

The paint on the front bumper and hood looks like a$$ up close.

Due probably in part to the oil problem, my beautiful Nismo exhaust tips get black soot on the bottom edges and it irritates me.

My drivers seat shifts around a little and makes creaking noises that bugs the hell out of me. Plus they are just simply not comfy in general. Might be aftermarket seats in my future, maybe next year.

The shifter is notchy and stiff. Like driving a big rig.

I have had the clutch stick at least half a dozen times, 3 of which times so bad, it created a nice burning smell from the clutch.

The throwout bearing makes noise when cold, like everybody elses, whether they admit it or not.

There is a rattle in the area of my Volt guage, that is droivng me totally nuts. One of these days when I have free time, I will pop that center console piece off and find the b!tch.

Even with all of these annoying problems on a $30,000 car, I can not really honestly say that I would have bought a different car.

Is that sad or what?

If I wasn't in love with the way my Z looks (overall) and handles (could be better though, hopefully the 275 19's will help) , I would have bought a Stang. If I had it to do all over again, I probably still would have bought the Z over the Stang, even with these problems.

I heard other people list the issues they had with their Z's and they still claimed they loved or liked their Z's. I could not understand how somebody could have so many problems with a $30,000 car and still love their car.

Now I know why they do.

It's a feakin' Z!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
tbaggs

my 03 burns bad as well, i wonder if powertrain warranty would cover this?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:32 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arejohn
I remember this chad guy now. He didn't break his Z in according to the manual. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? For some reason I doubt he will answer the question.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Due probably in part to the oil problem, my beautiful Nismo exhaust tips get black soot on the bottom edges and it irritates me.
That's with any car, it's your exhaust!!!!! My 350Z does it, my TL does it my CBR does it....... my old civic did it, my old audi did it...

since you have a nice exhaust you're making a point to check it out. If it was another car chances are you wouldnt care and wouldnt look at the tips.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:43 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by jeffie7
That's with any car, it's your exhaust!!!!! My 350Z does it, my TL does it my CBR does it....... my old civic did it, my old audi did it...

since you have a nice exhaust you're making a point to check it out. If it was another car chances are you wouldnt care and wouldnt look at the tips.
Agreed, add a plenum mod or hfc's and you'll lean out a bit and have a lot less of that "problem".......until you tune out the lean condition with reflah or ems.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Fact: your oil consumption is excessive. I have no idea why. You have some mods but have never taken the engine apart.

I assume that Nissan is going to give you a new engine?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Chad68

Originally Posted by roast
I remember this chad guy now. He didn't break his Z in according to the manual. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? For some reason I doubt he will answer the question.

I did the 1,200 miles break in as requested by the manual. Yes there were 3 or 4 times I exceeded the 4K rpm once I got close to 1,000 mile mark but not redline or anything horrible.

However my problem started after the first oil change which was done at 3,750 miles.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
simonfencer

If you are not leaking any oil, maybe a compression test will find a bad cylinder, meaning that you might have a stuck ring. Or it could be a bad seal on a valve stem. I don't know if a compression test would find that.

Go to the dealer and tell them you want them to get to the bottom of this. Try googling something like "excessive oil consumption" to see if you can get any more good pointers to arm yourself with. The dealership is not likely to want to replace your engine, but if it is broken, and it sounds like it could be, they really should.

Pretty much any gasoline engine will burn a small quantity of oil over a period of any oil change (as the piston rings have to have space to allow for the engine block and pistons expansion due to heating), but I wouldn't think it would be an amount noticable on the dipstick. Rotaries are a whole different ball of wax as are apparently some BMW's and Audis.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Swiffer

Sounds like you got a "Friday" car

What kind of oil did you use on your first change? Was it low when you first changed it?

I changed mine at 1500 miles with Mobile1 5w-30. 3000 miles later, and its all still there.

I would definitly have your dealer check it out, because its not normal for a car that was broken in / maintained properly.

Quick Reply: 2nd oil consumption test done SHEET!!!