Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why post VINS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 06:57 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Why post VINS?

What can one (non-owner) do with some one elses vin number. I for one will not post any of my tracking or vin numbers, especially after reading the story about the RX-7 in the off-topic forum! Not that I dont trust all of you but you never know who is out there.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:06 AM
abz123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that.

Definately will not be posting my VIN.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:46 AM
bighamz

Silly.

Are you going to rip it off your dash too? Because, you are posting it for the world to see there too... sigh.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:01 AM
VandyZ

Yes but you have to find/see my car in person. It it not the same as posting it where it is available to the world. Granted its not a social security number but it is close.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:41 AM
roberto350z

WOW!!!! That rx-7 story is crrrrrazy

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

but life goes on and my car is garaged and I have a gun
Old 07-11-2002, 09:33 AM
infinite z

gxoboy-

I have twice received quotes on the 350Z from Geico. It was the same both times. They quoted me $832.60 over 6 months. I'm 25 with no tickets. I don't know why they can't give you a quote too. I did it on their website, give it a try!
Old 07-11-2002, 07:40 PM
bighamz

Silly again, your answer is wrong. Online, I have no f'ing clue where to find your car because A. I would have to somwhow get your IP out of the post, not possible to non forum admins, B. I would have to trace that IP to a STREET address, court order required. And C. for all I know after ALL THESE steps you are in Alaska and I am in Florida... cars much closer for a thief to steal rather than going through all these steps... that leave a papertrail.

Or, I just walk up to a Z, scribble it down, follow it home and voila.

The phone ringing is Blockbuster, they want you to return their copies of the movies Hackers and Antitrust... they are WAY past due!

I really don't care either way on the VINS, i just find these VIN posts beyond all levels of rediculous. You guys are gearheads, so I will conceed to your knowledge in the car arena. But when it comes to technology/networking, that is my expertise and you guys are WAY off base.

BTW

That RX7 post is not a baseline to go by. That clown gave out personal information IN ADDITION to the VIN. Personal info that would otherwise require the steps above to get...

Originally posted by VQracer

Yeah but which one is easier to get? on the car through the windshield or online where millions can access at a time.

I'm not posting my VIN, I don't see what others can do with it.

Last edited by bighamz; 07-11-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:24 PM
igor@af

This topic is silly; Obviously, the less information you post on the web the better. And yes, VIN # is pretty damn important.

There is no point in arguing that posting your car's VIN # on the web does not make you less secure because that is just BS Of course it opens up more ways for your car to be stolen, etc.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:04 PM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Default Re: Why post VINS?

Originally posted by VandyZ
What can one (non-owner) do with some one elses vin number. I for one will not post any of my tracking or vin numbers, especially after reading the story about the RX-7 in the off-topic forum! Not that I dont trust all of you but you never know who is out there.
I'll say this about that: That RX-7 story was f-ed up, and really opened my eyes a bit.

Never (EVER) underestimate the availability of information over the internet. Likewise, never (EVER) underestimate the creativity nor intelligence of a would-be thief.

Anonymity on the internet is definitely an advantageous thing.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:31 PM
nizl

If you people (such as bighamz) think a thief needs you to provide your home address and car keys to jack your ride, you're very naive.

Identity theft is extremely pervasive and very easy.

How many of you already have your city prominently displayed in the "Location:" field to the left, by your avatar?

And how much time would it take a thief to call around to dealerships in your area, posing as a Nissan rep, saying there's been a "mixup" and they're trying to track down a car with VIN XXXXXX?

Think about it...

Last edited by nizl; 07-11-2002 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:54 AM
bighamz

Hilarious.

All you peeps better stop posting here, or anywhere on the internet.

YOUR IP IS HERE AND THE THIEVES NOW KNOW THAT MOST OF YOU ARE BUYING Z'S AND WILL BE TRACKING YOU DOWN!!!!!

AND... AND... THEY ARE GOING TO ROB YOUR HOUSE TOO EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A Z.

RUN AWAY!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Sigh...
Old 07-12-2002, 01:59 AM
nizl

Dude, I work in IT and have consulted with companies on network security.

You don't need an IP to commit identity fraud. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll bet you don't even know who the l0pht is.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:36 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Said in your best Cliff Claven (from Cheers) voice:

"Ahhhh, yeah, the IOpht, or the EYE-O-FAT as we in the IT business like to call it, is actually a Bantu native ritual whereby the young Bantu brave must kill a wild boar with his bare hands (which isn't too hard since his ENTIRE BODY is bare) and then he must cut out the fattiest portion of the animal and proceed to rub it into his eyes, thus making him a full fledged man and member of the warrior tribe"
Old 07-12-2002, 02:37 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah DAMN, there I go again offending people. Any Bantu Warriors registered on here Jay?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:11 AM
nizl

Too funny!

Although it is "L-0-p-h-t", pronounced "loft".

BTW my father was a Bantu warrior. Prepare to die.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:13 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by bighamz
You guys are gearheads, so I will conceed to your knowledge in the car arena. But when it comes to technology/networking, that is my expertise and you guys are WAY off base.
Tread carefully grasshopper. There's people here who definitely know more than you think. (I'm one of them, and I can assure you I've designed and built networks that most people only have wet dreams about.)

I'm with nizl on this one. Not only am I a gearhead, but I'm also very crafty in the art of network security (or lack thereof as is usually the case), and the initial post is worthwhile as a heads up to those who think that the internet is all friendly people. If you don't agree, that's fine.

How about we all just have a Miller Lite and drop the topic before this one degrades much further. If anyone feels the need to post their VIN and the dealership they're picking up from, feel free. Let each user make their choice. But just an FYI to those who care, it might not be the smartest idea to post it.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:36 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
but life goes on and my car is garaged and I have a gun
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto. Sometimes it's tough to pick between the Beretta and the H&K, though...
Old 07-12-2002, 09:11 AM
TJZ

Originally posted by NSANY

Ditto. Ditto. And ditto. Sometimes it's tough to pick between the Beretta and the H&K, though...
H&K all the way. (that rhymes)

Quick Reply: Why post VINS?