Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone have any difficulty downshifting from 6th to 3rd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Everytime I post on something mechcanical I get my butt kicked because I generally don't know what I'm talking about.

But, alas, I keep trying.

Seems to me there is some type of "lockout" on first gear where past a certain speed, any effort to get into first is met with a grinding sound.
True?
There is but if you rev match at the appropriate speed it will bite. But be warned the car will jerk you.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with shifting 6>3. I think the main thing when skipping down gears is letting the clutch out in neutral to get the entire tranny spinning with itself again(this step alone would solve the posters problem). Whether or not you take the load off the synchros is personal preference. Most people don't like doing it because it takes longer to shift and it's harder to master.

Shifting 6>3 also has practically nothing to do with the clutch disc. As long as the engine speed is matched to the speed of the input shaft when the clutch is engaged there is virtually no wear on the clutch.

That grinding sound BYR is talking about, are the dog teeth failing to seat on the side of the gear. Let's say you're cruising at 65mph in 6th. Trying to get into first will be next to impossible. First gear tops out around 35mph at 6600RPM. To get the tranny into first at that speed, the input&lay shafts will have to be brought up to +12,000RPM. It's physically impossible to get get the layshaft up to that speed with the engine alone. You can get it spinning +6000RPM, but that extra 6000RPM will all be on the synchros. If you force it, it will grind. If you put enough pressure on it long enough it should eventually seat, but this not recommended to say the very least. It's not a lockout mechanism per se - it's extremely **** poor use of the gearbox.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some trouble with trying to do double and tripple downshifts but once I got use to letting the shifter center itself, then shift gears as somebody else mentioned, it's fine now.

It took me a while to get use to letting it center itself first because on other vehicles, I was able to just jam it in whatever gear without missing the gear I wanted.

After trying to go from 6th to 3rd or 4th gear and sometimes ending up it 2nd by mistake or worse and sometimes putting it right back into 6th and trying to go from 5th or 6th to 3rd, blah blah blah it was time for a new technique.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Miko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post by roast (Whoa that rhymes, lol) - always does a great job clearing things up. Well appreciated!