Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z basic or Enthusiast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Sherlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slam
I also go WOT in my '06 base almost everyday and I never said to myself "I need an LSD." I power-slide corners and cruise canyon roads every weekend and still have never had a problem. I guess it would be nice if I did have an LSD but the OEM LSD is not all that great anway and I'd rather get an aftermarket one if I need one.

The money you save from getting a base instead of enthusiast can be used to get a much better LSD installed and you'll still have money left over for a few more mods. I know I"m biased but I think base is the way to go unless you plan on leaving the car stock then enthusiast is the best choice.

I have to agree with slam, the stock LSD isn't all that great. I went with the base model knowing that I was going to upgrade the LSD anyways, so I put the Kaaz in and it works great.

Last edited by Sherlock; 08-04-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
cavallino33

Originally Posted by slam
For performance minded people the only thing the base model doesn't have that the enthusiast has is an LSD. That being said, the factory LSD that the enthusiast has is NOT as good as an aftermarket LSD which will cost you much less than the price difference between the base & enthusiast! That's why I think the base model is definetly the way to go if you want a geat platform to mod (it's great in stock form also).

I own a base but I've driven my friends enthusiast and even when I slid the enthusiast it was very hard to tell any difference because it had the OEM LSD. The difference is very minor.

Now if you want other small goodies like cruise control, auto-dimming mirror, steering wheel controls, etc. get the enthusiast; however, the base model has just about everything you actually need and will save you the extra cash to get parts that are better than the heavy OEM stuff.

That was my reasoning for buying the base. I don't need traction control, homelink or cruise control so I figured if I really hated not having LSD in a few years I could swap for an aftermarket diff for cheaper.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:29 PM
medic165

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought an 04 BASE, then bought HID's, cause i thought it was a must, then i got 19's. The 2006 base model has HID's which is nice. As far as my base, i just love it, but then again i dont have LSD cruise control and some other things, since i dont have those, i dont miss anything.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Cereals

I'm going to go with the 350Z 06' Enthusiast. I made my decision. The exta 1.5-2k doesn't really hurt to have those nice features.

Besides, I'm only going to put rims, a system and maybe a nice exhaust. So I think the enthusiast will suit me fine.

Thanks for your input, I'll make a new thread when I leave the lot with my new Z [which will be named Eva].
Old 08-05-2006, 11:14 AM
woodstock300s

i have an 04 base and theres nothing that i would miss except the lsd...and i'll prob put an aftermarket one in sooner or later...plus i like the clean look of the wheel with NO buttons on it...i put an hid kit in place of the stock lights and i never use cruise control anyway, the mirror buttons are useless and i have razo pedals instead of rubber..so if u make a couple of quick inexpensive changes its just as good if not better...thats only my honest opinion.....good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 03:57 PM
MDaniel22

The 06 base does come with HID's. The only things you're not getting compared to the enthusiast are cruise control, steering wheel audio controls, limited slip, traction control, homelink, and the aluminum pedals.

I just got my z about a month ago. I ended up getting the base with the aluminum pedals, added leather seats and the spoiler for next to nothing. So basically the homelink I didnt plan on using, no biggie. The cruise control I can live without and the audio controls won't work with most aftermarket radios anyway. Traction control can only help you so much. If you drive responsibly, you'll be fine.

As stated before, you need to choose what's best for you.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
181 BluZ

Sorry I didn't really bother reading the OP or any of the other replys because this topic is almost beat to death. I'm sure if you would have search you could have found many threads on 06 Base Vs *so and so*... The difference is basicly LSD, Traction control, Cruise control, the bottens on the steering wheel. Please Search before you post. *This is about the 5th time I said this tonight*
Old 08-06-2006, 02:22 AM
MyNismoRoadster

FYI HID is standard on all models for 2006 , regardless of base or enthusiast models, its really worth getting the enthusiasts model as the LSD alone would make it worthwhile, then you get TCS, CC, aluminum kick plates, aluminum pedals, etc, in many cases you can get the Enthusiasts model for the price of a base if you barter with the dealer.

Just throwing in my 2 cents....
Old 08-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Cereals

yeah thats my goal, to get the enthusiast Z at the price of the basic.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cereals
yeah thats my goal, to get the enthusiast Z at the price of the basic.

Good choice
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Geoff 1945

Default Basic Model

You Get the HID Lights If its a 06 But no Electronic Crap which makes for true sports car.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:17 AM
mikealexander

iam very happy with my base, i forget i am missing out on those extras just no need for them
Old 08-06-2006, 01:54 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by Geoff 1945
You Get the HID Lights If its a 06 But no Electronic Crap which makes for true sports car.

The base is however very desirable for tuners, because its already stripped down of any goodies that will not be used in a race and it cuts down initial purchase cost. Plus LSD can be added to a higher performing unit, and anything else thats not there can be added, deleted or upgraded.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Cereals

Test drove it today, drove it stick.. auto.. basic.. and enthusiast. [not to mention different colors].

I decided I'm going for the '06 enthusiast in black. And amazingly instead of M/T im going with automatic. Last minute mind change.

I'm not going to be tuning or modding it, maybe a nice exhaust.. but thats MAYBE. Its comfterable automatic, especially how wonderful miami traffic gets [and when i mean wonderful, i mean bumper to bumper].

and i feel the power between the two transmissions just the same. i'm just going to keep my integra, if i want some kind of project car.

thanks for your input guys!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:49 AM
boostie350

Originally Posted by Atl300zx
i wouldnt buy a car without a LSD, as far as the TCS/VDC, i could live without it. CRuise control is nice as well as the few other amenities.
So you'd buy a civic only if it had LSD? hmmm...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 AM
slam

Originally Posted by Cereals
Test drove it today, drove it stick.. auto.. basic.. and enthusiast. [not to mention different colors].

I decided I'm going for the '06 enthusiast in black. And amazingly instead of M/T im going with automatic. Last minute mind change.

I'm not going to be tuning or modding it, maybe a nice exhaust.. but thats MAYBE. Its comfterable automatic, especially how wonderful miami traffic gets [and when i mean wonderful, i mean bumper to bumper].

and i feel the power between the two transmissions just the same. i'm just going to keep my integra, if i want some kind of project car.

thanks for your input guys!
Good choice! Since you aren't going to be modding your Z it makes sense to get the Enthusiast.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:12 AM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the base model come with the TPMS system?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Bananax

Originally Posted by corsair
Does the base model come with the TPMS system?
yes it does.