Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The DISADVANTAGES of convertibles (in general)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Atl300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
+1 and you tend to get dark FAST.

before i had my old Z3 and my current ZR, I was the whitest chinese guy you're ever going to see!!!!
More like you get a darker farmer's tan
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the disadvantages. If you want a convertible, you don't see these as disadvantages. I've owned a convertible, and nothing compares to riding with the top down. The difference in the price of the two cars doesn't come into it..it's negligible once you've already spent or financed the price of a coupe. I'm in Southern California and there were more rag tops on the lot than coupes. I wanted a coupe, not because it's faster or cost less than a convertible...it's what I wanted. Convertible vs Coupe...Bah hum bug!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
maxpowers

Ha ha ha - well put!

Some people truly prefer a coupe and I respect that, but others have the weakest excuses. My head gets hot, its too noisy, I can't fit my Costco toilet paper in the trunk, it weighs too much.

The funniest one is its too cold in the winter. In fact the smaller interior heats up much quicker than a larger interior (what the top is made of is irrelevant).

Originally Posted by wooochang
The coupe is a less expensive car and therefore you have more ignorant trashy people capable of affording it, and hence, more retards bashing on a roadster because they claim that it's, "slower, uglier," or whatever moronic reasons they come up with. (keep in mind, I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not all coupe owners are haters)

If all i cared about was speed, I wouldn't have gotten a ZR or heck even a Z.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Easy to break into a rag top, and interior noise is more.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Ha ha ha - well put!

Some people truly prefer a coupe and I respect that, but others have the weakest excuses. My head gets hot, its too noisy, I can't fit my Costco toilet paper in the trunk, it weighs too much.

The funniest one is its too cold in the winter. In fact the smaller interior heats up much quicker than a larger interior (what the top is made of is irrelevant).
+1 oh no you're actually supporting your case with facts ... vert bashers hate it when you do that ...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM
roast

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
This thread has officially Done Gone Stupid.

unsubscribing
x999999999999999999999999
Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Morningglorie

Disadvantages:

1) Too much attention from the opposite sex
2) The grins on your face lead to permanent cheek tension and little wrinkles around your eyes.
3) That feeling of joy and freedom makes you wish everything in life could feel so right
4) The happy memories created fill your mind and crowd out other important stuff like figuring out how to pay off your mortgage early
5) Your desire to keep it looking nice will have you spending valuable time washing and waxing it when you could be playing video games.

Other than that, can't think of a thing.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
ZlleH

Seems you(coupe bashers) also have a habit?

When someone say they don't like the look of the vert(their personal opinion and taste), you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

When someone say the vert is slower because of more weight(fact of physics), you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

When someone say the vert loses rigidity, you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

And on and on...

The original poster asked for disadvantages so he can decide on a purchase and you are taking all this too personally. I'd hate to see how you would react if someone asked for the disadvatage of buying a 350Z in general.

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
+1 oh no you're actually supporting your case with facts ... vert bashers hate it when you do that ...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Zakira

One time I saw a girl in her new Jaguar with the top down (the car not the girl) sitting in middle of traffic at a stoplight in Beverly Hills. A homelessguy leaned into her car and must've asked for money. I saw her pulling a bill out of her purse to give to the guy. The poor girl had nowhere to go and had no choice but to give in. That's pretty disadvantageous.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
roast

These insecure roadster girls crack me up. They're even worse than the A/T women.

Oh, and this thread is not even about the roadster. The OP was asking about disadvantages to verts in GENERAL. Leave it to the girls to get their panties in a wad when people actually post valid disadvantages to verts.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Seems you(coupe bashers) also have a habit?

When someone say they don't like the look of the vert(their personal opinion and taste), you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

When someone say the vert is slower because of more weight(fact of physics), you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

When someone say the vert loses rigidity, you automatically assume they must really be envious and only say this because they couldn't afford the vert.

And on and on...

The original poster asked for disadvantages so he can decide on a purchase and you are taking all this too personally. I'd hate to see how you would react if someone asked for the disadvatage of buying a 350Z in general.
"I also have a slight suspicion that some of the coupe owners that trash our verts simply can't afford a roadster ... therefore they rip it apart to reassure themselves their car is better.".
Hey Einstein ... what part of "slight" suspicion that "some" of the coupe owners ... did you not understand?

Also the reason the roadster is 250 lbs heavier is because Nissan re-engineered the Z's lower section, with extra cross bars and reinforcement around the door frames and in the cockpit floor.

If you chose a coupe over a roadster because it was 2 tenths of a second faster from 0-60 then your priorities are laughable ...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in SoCal where the weather is the best on the planet for a drop top ... however after taking Porsche Boxsters, 911's, and the Z I found a number of problems.

1) Cancer is a *****. I'm a white guy and wouldn't remember to put on a sun lotion every day. My father has two run-ins with skin cancer and it's not a nice thing.

2) The darn weather. The Porsches at least have a layer of felt sandwiched between a top and bottom in their roofs. The Z has a thin layer of cloth which the heat burns through. Even with the air conditioner running I could feel the IR glowing through the top.

3) Dust/dirt/pollution. The cars in front of me were kicking up dust and blowing out smoke which means your interior is going to get dusty ... the interior of your car and your body.

4) OPM - Other People's Music. The noise of traffic is bad enough with the fart can Hondas and city buses with squeeling brakes but toss in the booming music of some idiot with no sense hearing and you've got me reaching for my weapon and opening fire!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:45 AM
REDROADSTER350Z

Originally Posted by idwin
Easy to break into a rag top, and interior noise is more.
you have to be really small to fit through those bars
Old 08-10-2006, 11:58 AM
deluzrider

if i was a thief and i wanted ur really nice navigation system, al i would do is cut ur rag top right off and take it
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
deluzrider

o ya and those bars. a 20 dollar bolt cutter from home depot would easily take care of them
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

^^ any other advice you can give us in thievery?

someone's is looking to get into mischieve ...

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/209557-stealth-plate.html
Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
ZlleH

I think what is laughable is your excuses, anger, and insults. It totally shows your maturity level. Some of us are trying to have a grown up debate here without going into insults.

The original poster asked for disadvantages. Even if it is two tenth of a second slower, it is still a disadvantage. Try to see that as a criteria to a disadvantage that the original poster was asking for and not an insult to you personally.

And remember, the original poster asked for disadvatages of a convertible, not the ZR. He wanted a list of advantages to convertibles in general so he can take the list and wiegh(pardon the pun) the list of disadvantages to the list of disadvantages to converrtibles(in general) so he can make a decision.

I think this thread has indeed become stupid like a poster has stated.

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Hey Einstein ... what part of "slight" suspicion that "some" of the coupe owners ... did you not understand?

Also the reason the roadster is 250 lbs heavier is because Nissan re-engineered the Z's lower section, with extra cross bars and reinforcement around the door frames and in the cockpit floor.

If you chose a coupe over a roadster because it was 2 tenths of a second faster from 0-60 then your priorities are laughable ...

Last edited by ZlleH; 08-10-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:18 PM
FairladyZX

Originally Posted by d!abolic
I've been loving my 350Z (only had it for 10 months), but its been in the shop and after driving a rental convertible 06 Mustang for a week, i must say that i'm absolutely in love with it. I'm now really considering selling the 350Z next year, and picking up some kind of a convertible. The thing is, i know that this is a bad idea from a financial standpoint (i just bought the car and paid tax, etc), but i really do want one. Can you guys name a few DISADVANTAGES of owning a convertible to perhaps offset the obvious benefits and make me stick with the 350?
get a hard top vert then u won't have to worry about any disadvantages
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I think what is laughable is your excuses, anger, and insults. It totally shows your maturity level.
This is coming from a person who starts threads about how many "cool a$$" compliments they've received with the Z ...
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Blue_Z

Originally Posted by wooochang
The coupe is a less expensive car and therefore you have more ignorant trashy people capable of affording it, and hence, more retards bashing on a roadster because they claim that it's, "slower, uglier," or whatever moronic reasons they come up with. (keep in mind, I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not all coupe owners are haters)
YES, not all coupe owners, including me, hate the roadster.

in my humble opinion, the opinion that coupe owners are bashing roadsters only because they're jealous since they couldn't afford a roadster.. that cracks me up, and is a pretty arrogant thing to say..

Maybe some of us like me, prefer the coupe, end of story!

can't we all just get along??

Quick Reply: The DISADVANTAGES of convertibles (in general)?