Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire Help- Fixa Flat

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:44 AM
thegr8one99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Help- Fixa Flat

Hey guys just wanted your opinion. My tires are always leaking, and I'm always replacing them. A nail hear a nail there (i'm starting to think kids are putting nails under my tire, I don't have a garage). Its getting pretty expensive at $300 a pop. I was cool with paying the first few times but this is starting to hurt my wallet. I had to put air in a tire yesterday and already this morning My psi alarm goes off. I'm considering fix a flat or some other product. What is your thought on using that stuff.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:52 AM
jers09

I would have to say aviod Fix-A-Flat if you plan on using your Z for what its meant for, Fun sporty driving. You'd be much better served having the tire patched from the inside for $20.00 or so than using Fix-A-Flat or buying a new tire every time.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Blu Hvn

From what I hear, some tire shops won't touch a tire that's been treated with Fix-A-Flat. It puts a gooey coating on the inside of the tire which is extremely diificult to clean/remove thereby making patching the hole later almost impossible.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Malic350

Originally Posted by jers09
I would have to say aviod Fix-A-Flat if you plan on using your Z for what its meant for, Fun sporty driving. You'd be much better served having the tire patched from the inside for $20.00 or so than using Fix-A-Flat or buying a new tire every time.
I would have to agree with jers09. I just got mine patched. Though I will say I used fix-a-flat on my 96 Camry and it lasted from Texas to California and then a couple of months in California lol - I only got new tires from american tire co. because it was time - the tire still held lol ! Not that I would try that on my ZR !
Old 08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
LeMans 05

I've used fix-a-flat very successfully in my previous cars, but I wouldn't think of using it on the Z. Why don't you pick up a tire plug kit. It's relatively easy to use, and works wonders, without having the goo inside ruining wheel balance and making one he11 of a mess.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM
iceman21_23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by from discount tire and get the road hazard warranty on it. 35 bucks for a new tire with a fresh warranty...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
MustGoFastR

Fix-a Flat is fine for emergencies, but it is a big mess and should only be used to get you to a tire repair place, where it can be cleaned out and patched properly ASAP. It may also **** up your tire pressure monitors.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you ever tried fix-a-flat? Its like glue. The glue is forced into the leak (by pressure) and seals it. The downside to fix-a-flat is that it literally cements the tire to the wheel.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:13 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Have you ever tried fix-a-flat? Its like glue. The glue is forced into the leak (by pressure) and seals it. The downside to fix-a-flat is that it literally cements the tire to the wheel.
also what was said above about tire shops not wanting to touch it is true.on word of caution,if you use it and then try to get it patched,you better warn them that it has fix a flat in it.the reason is it is extremely flamable and you could be in for a law suit if it sparks and catches the guy on fire.i have personally seen it happen,luckily the kid wasnt burned.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
JSON

Discount Tire patches tires (from inside) for free.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
thegr8one99

Originally Posted by JaeZTT
Discount Tire patches tires (from inside) for free.
They do this for Free???? or do I have to have the warranty with them, meaning I have to buy a new tire along with the warranty.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
LAKERSFAN

Originally Posted by thegr8one99
Hey guys just wanted your opinion. My tires are always leaking, and I'm always replacing them. A nail hear a nail there (i'm starting to think kids are putting nails under my tire, I don't have a garage). Its getting pretty expensive at $300 a pop. I was cool with paying the first few times but this is starting to hurt my wallet. I had to put air in a tire yesterday and already this morning My psi alarm goes off. I'm considering fix a flat or some other product. What is your thought on using that stuff.
Are you sure its your tire this time and not your rim being bent or cracked.Seems like you are losing a hell of a lot of air overnight. I slightly cracked my rim (on my Galant) and it was leaking air. Sucked, had to fill it everytime i went anywhere for a week or so. Oh, I also tried to have it fixed. NEVER EVER DO THIS. ITS A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. I dont care what the dude at the shop tells you. My car ran like **** after I put the "fixed" rim on.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by thegr8one99
They do this for Free???? or do I have to have the warranty with them, meaning I have to buy a new tire along with the warranty.

Yep, it's a free courtesy service.