2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another interesting point...

related to the "problem"....

I finally received my copy of "The Run" which I ordered from Courtesy Nissan...
and watched it about 20 times in different views...

That track Z did NOT bounce.....and looked to be rock steady --- even on the cobblestone streets !!

Oh well.... until I get my NISMO S-tune setup installed.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by TCL
My guess is that if Nissan considers the bounce to be a problem, they will alter the stock shock valving or spring rates in future model years. For those who only want a better ride, it might be worth waiting to see if this happens since it would likely be less costly than the NISMO kit.

For those who also want significantly improved handling and dont mind a slightly stiffer ride, the NISMO set up seems to be the way to go. Raceboy's comment about it making the car feel 500lbs lighter was one of the things that reinforced my decision to go for the NISMO kit.
OK, You may be right, how much will they be in parts and installation, and who can install them, the dealer or independent shop? If they're too much, I may trade the Z. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:49 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Boomer
OK, You may be right, how much will they be in parts and installation, and who can install them, the dealer or independent shop? If they're too much, I may trade the Z. Thanks for your help.
Boomer,
I think the dealers will eventually be installing them. If I go that route the dealer will install it. I still think Nissan will phase in some updates and maybe we can just swap them out.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 AM
TCL

Originally posted by Boomer
Again, just a guess, but if they only change one component (the springs or the shocks and not both), I would guess around couple hundred for the parts if no discount were offerred. This is just a guess based on the cost for other vehicles. As far as labor cost, I don't know what the shop standard hours are for that job on the Z. Maybe someone who has already done a replacement could estimate that.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:47 AM
jmark

Originally posted by TCL
My guess is that if Nissan considers the bounce to be a problem, they will alter the stock shock valving or spring rates in future model years. For those who only want a better ride, it might be worth waiting to see if this happens since it would likely be less costly than the NISMO kit.

For those who also want significantly improved handling and dont mind a slightly stiffer ride, the NISMO set up seems to be the way to go. Raceboy's comment about it making the car feel 500lbs lighter was one of the things that reinforced my decision to go for the NISMO kit.
Agreed.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:53 AM
jmark

Bounce. Get it!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 05:49 PM
IN2ITIV

Default The bounce

I had noticed this the first time I took the car above 60 mph on route 202 here in metro Philly. I thought it was just me - just goes to show you. It also seemed that certain roads (frequency of tar strips) caused an oscillation in the suspension.

In fact, I had two 25 pound bags of cat litter in back (hey its still winter here) and they made all kinds of racket bouncing around.

The car really doesn't seem to exhibit the problem on smooth asphalt or at lower speeds.

I don't think the springs are the issue here, Does Koni or Bilstein make a shock with adjustable rebound damping for this car? I think a slight increase there would maybe do the trick.

Kind regards
Old 03-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Boomer

Default Re: The bounce

Originally posted by IN2ITIV
I had noticed this the first time I took the car above 60 mph on route 202 here in metro Philly. I thought it was just me - just goes to show you. It also seemed that certain roads (frequency of tar strips) caused an oscillation in the suspension.

In fact, I had two 25 pound bags of cat litter in back (hey its still winter here) and they made all kinds of racket bouncing around.

The car really doesn't seem to exhibit the problem on smooth asphalt or at lower speeds.

I don't think the springs are the issue here, Does Koni or Bilstein make a shock with adjustable rebound damping for this car? I think a slight increase there would maybe do the trick.

Kind regards
My car bounces on concrete AND smooth asphault. If Nissan continues to ignore the owners' complaints about the "bounce", I may turn to Koni or Bilstein for a fix. Koni will be marketing their shocks for the Z sometime in late summer or early fall, Bilstein is an unknown at present. If they are legitimate cures for the problem, I will probably go that way, if I still have the car when they become available.

I'm going to the OKC Annual Car Show tomorrow, I'm very interested in the new Volvo S60-R w/300HP and AWD. I am probably going to replace the 99 Maxima this year, so a 4door is needed. I'm not adverse to having 1 car for a reasonable amount of time so a luxury or near luxury model will be a consideration.

I have come to believe you are correct and the shocks' lack of rebound and /or compression is the culprit, most likely its the former condition. My issue is, whatever I do will have to "cure" the problem. I will not be stuck with guessing what to do next if the first modification is not successful.

Thanks for your information and concern. Boomer

P.S. I would be interested if Nissan is willing to give its customers some adjustment in the purchase and installation of an improved replacement. I believe in fairness and value received. If the intial product is unsatisfactory to the customer, a suitable recompense could be negociated to each party's satisfaction, if offered.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-06-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

any new info on the bouncing rides after one month? did Nissan use a different spec of shocks or sprigs on the newer 350z?

still debating on if I should buy the S-tune suspension to fix the tire feathering problem and bouncing rides...
Old 04-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Apexi350z
any new info on the bouncing rides after one month? did Nissan use a different spec of shocks or sprigs on the newer 350z?

still debating on if I should buy the S-tune suspension to fix the tire feathering problem and bouncing rides...
The spring part number changes were apparently unrelated to the bounce problem. The S-Tune suspension does cure the bounce, but the alignment problem is not fixed by the S-Tuned parts. It's a separate issue, IMO. Uh, Apexi, you need to check back more often, no offense, but you are behind the learning curve on this one.

I, and many others, have moved beyond anger and angst to pro-active. Check through some of the other threads to see whats moving now.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Rob Nance

DISCLAIMER: I do not pretend to have driven or ridden in every Z. My VIN is 13,566 so perhaps it was fixed.

My comments are just on the fact that we are talking about a sports car, with a tight suspension. Are people talking about bumps as being bounce? because bounce means multiple pulses per each bump, like an old car would with worn out springs. Do you all really have this?

It just feels like people are so worried about first year stuff that all of these "problems" keep getting blown out of proportion. The salesman and manager approached me the other day at my dealer when I stopped by to chat a bit. They were asking me what problems I have had, and commented on all the popular complaints. Of course there was the front paint thing, but that was about it. The funniest one was people had been complaining about brake dust. Give me a break! Sports car with big brakes = brake dust. I am a really critical person is the funny thing, so I think some people are just getting carried away when they hear about something, then they convince themselves they have that problem.

Not trying to start anything, or criticize, this thread just made me think about it. If earlier cars really do have real suspension problems, hope you all get it fixed.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:45 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by Rob Nance
DISCLAIMER: I do not pretend to have driven or ridden in every Z. My VIN is 13,566 so perhaps it was fixed.

My comments are just on the fact that we are talking about a sports car, with a tight suspension. Are people talking about bumps as being bounce? because bounce means multiple pulses per each bump, like an old car would with worn out springs. Do you all really have this?

It just feels like people are so worried about first year stuff that all of these "problems" keep getting blown out of proportion. The salesman and manager approached me the other day at my dealer when I stopped by to chat a bit. They were asking me what problems I have had, and commented on all the popular complaints. Of course there was the front paint thing, but that was about it. The funniest one was people had been complaining about brake dust. Give me a break! Sports car with big brakes = brake dust. I am a really critical person is the funny thing, so I think some people are just getting carried away when they hear about something, then they convince themselves they have that problem.

Not trying to start anything, or criticize, this thread just made me think about it. If earlier cars really do have real suspension problems, hope you all get it fixed.
Yeah it would ne great if something is eventually resolved..I think going with coilovers or springs would be proactive if you really dont care for the current ride or setup. I think people can convince themselves of alot but its hard to argue when you take the same road everyday driven it with different cars had other people comment when you never even prompted them there was a problem that were just going along for the ride and you noticing other cars ( yes sports cars cheap and expensive ones not exhibiting the complaint ) the bounce is the why the car responds at certain speeds on certain types of roads like concrete or when there is the right spacing and frequency that it makes the car literally oscillate up and down meaning it is not effectively dampening the initial nor the next nor the following set of irregularities and so on and on until its not there or your speed changes dramatically.

The good news is as the car is starting to settle and break in the edge is slowly being taken away and much better and tolerable.Bottom line it does get slightly beter. 3000k and counting.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Boomer

I have an early car VIN1434. Its like an old car with weak wornout shocks. Several people, including me, think the stock suspension is oversprung/underdamped=stiff springs/flabby shocks w/o rebound control. My car bounces on new asphalt, and crashes on broken surfaces; at least it crashed w/OE tires. I paid $1K for new Michelins, it no longer crashes, but it still bounces. New shocks are needed, IMHO.

My stock Z had the worst ride for a sports car I have ever driven, and my first new car was a 1965 Triumph TR4 w/LEVER SHOCKS on the rear axle. It rode like a buckboard from a cowboy movie. I am not exaggerating, I also had a 1972 240 Z and many other sports cars, no b.s. here. Some of us are a little sensitive about implications we don't know what we are talking about, Capiche?

Last edited by Boomer; 04-09-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:22 PM
NissanCar

I don't own a 350Z (yet) but I want to chime in...

I test drove a Z on the streets on Van Nuys, CA (Miller Nissan) and I was surprised by the amount of "". Nevertheless, I was addicted by the raw power and enjoyed the test drive. At first I thought it was just bad roads, but when I got back in my car (Something Toyota) there was only a hint of bad pavement.

Today I was driving north on the 5 freeway (Near Los Feliz) and I spotted a CS Enthusiasts w/Burnt Orange seats (BEAUTIFUL) and I again noticed the "". It seemed to me that it ed much more in the back than in the front (Remember the car is almost 50%/50%). I wonder if something heavy was put in the back (i.e. bag of concrete) if the would subside. Obviously I am not suggesting a bag of concrete is the answer, but it would easily eliminate one possibility.

Nevertheless, I will withold until Nissan addresses this issue.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:34 PM
happypants

YES!! This is exactly what it is! Even better, when riding on uneven pavement, the car "jiggles" around, like there's not enough dampening. I'm not talking about bump steer when you go around a corner, just what happens driving down a normal, uneven road.

It really makes what should be an enjoyable ride into a tiring ride. Half the time I'm happy to be OUT of the car!

My car has a VIN in the 7500 range.

Well, either Nissan will fix it soon, or I will get so disgusted with the suspension that I will replace it with the TEIN coilovers.

Given the way things are going, It looks like I will have to spend more cash on the car to get it the way it should have been from the factory!

Last edited by happypants; 04-09-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:45 AM
jmark

Originally posted by 350z4steve
Yeah it would ne great if something is eventually resolved..I think going with coilovers or springs would be proactive if you really dont care for the current ride or setup. I think people can convince themselves of alot but its hard to argue when you take the same road everyday driven it with different cars had other people comment when you never even prompted them there was a problem that were just going along for the ride and you noticing other cars ( yes sports cars cheap and expensive ones not exhibiting the complaint ) the bounce is the why the car responds at certain speeds on certain types of roads like concrete or when there is the right spacing and frequency that it makes the car literally oscillate up and down meaning it is not effectively dampening the initial nor the next nor the following set of irregularities and so on and on until its not there or your speed changes dramatically.

The good news is as the car is starting to settle and break in the edge is slowly being taken away and much better and tolerable.Bottom line it does get slightly beter. 3000k and counting.
I agree it is slightly better (1500 miles) but still not right. The weirdest thing was the warmer it gets the better the ride is......... I can't explain it other than we had a couple of 80 degree days and the bounce was almost gone. Soon as it cooled off it was back as bad as ever. Guess I'll start saving for the NISMO kit........Come on NNA admit there is a problem!!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Rob Nance

Damn, sounds like a completely legitimate problem. The fact that mine doesn't do it, meaning they know a fix, lends me to believe that they should eventually release a TSB for it (we can hope). Car companies could learn a thing from the video game industry. Their natural online presence due to their market being highly online, is very good. If Nissan had about 30-50 employees to cover worldwide concerns for each model of car and to relay things to Nissasn Motors, they would be a huge industry front runner. An official set of Nissan message boards that required you to be an owner, would be great. That way they could relay the progress, acknowledge problems, and yes, get some positive feedback too! Seems like a drop in the bucket, nevermind the fact that this would help customer confidence and no doubt encourage new sales and return buyers.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,
I work and live in north Austin with an early Z. I'll let you take it for a spin on 183 between Mopac and Oak Knoll. You'll have to sign a waiver for neck or body injury ....

I would like to be able to compare the ride on both cars.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by spn350z
Rob,
I work and live in north Austin with an early Z. I'll let you take it for a spin on 183 between Mopac and Oak Knoll. You'll have to sign a waiver for neck or body injury ....

I would like to be able to compare the ride on both cars.
Funny you post this. I was going to ask if anyone in the Austin area wanted to check my car out that has these problems, but forgot to by the end of my post. I'm in North Austin also. I'll have to go out today and hit that stretch of road while running some errands to see if I see anything. Are you talking North bound, does the lane matter? Speed it's worst at? Want to make sure I duplicate the scenario as best as possible.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
spn350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,
I PM you with detail.

However, I got some error PM.

Sorry if you get multiple post.

Quick Reply: Nissan needs to hear about the Suspension Bounce/Chop