2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Serious Speed Traps

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Serious Speed Traps

Other than the very occasional ones set up between the Nevada border and Baker alone the 15 interstate I rarely see speed traps on the highways any more. The local cops set of some pretty serious ones along the major side streets using pairs or better of motorcycles in hunter-killer packs.

The "hunter" parks his Harley Davidson back off the target road - normally a 5 lane wide 45 mph zone - and steps away from his bike pulling the cord to his radar gun as far as it will stretch. He holds the gun down at his belly rather than out stretched like a pistol. If you were to even see him standing back off the road in the clutter you might at first glance think that he was just standing there writing a ticket.

The "killers" sit on their bikes then next block down tucked far enough into the side street that you can't see them from the hunter's perspective. When the hunter catches a speeder he'll use his walkie-talkie to pass the make, model, and color onto his waiting buddies for the kill. I can here them on my police band scanner doing this five days a week sometimes for hours on end in the same place.

It's gotten so that I actually follow the speed limit on the side streets even with the V1 assisting. The hunter doesn't spray his gun down the road hoping to nail someone but sits and waits for what seems by eye-ball to be a speeder and then lights them up.

Be careful out there.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats hardcore. Good thing NJ cops are lazy. Ive gotten one ticket, and thats before i learned to drive defensively.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah they don't call 'em speed traps for nuthin...

Sometimes around here, the "hunters" will get on the overpasses... while the "killers" are further down the highway. A lot of times it's just lone "killers" sitting on the other side of a hill/curve where you can't see them until it's too late, and they mix it up a lot too so you're not sure where to expect them. I tend to slow down around these "hotspots".

Just imagine how much safer we could drive while speeding if we weren't so busy scanning for cops and their hard to detect speed traps...

I've had a lot of close calls in the Z. I've been extremely lucky on several occasions.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by roast
Just imagine how much safer we could drive while speeding if we weren't so busy scanning for cops and their hard to detect speed traps...
You are 100% correct my friend...
Old 08-20-2006, 08:25 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by roast
Just imagine how much safer we could drive if we actually drove the speed limit...
Fixed your post for you.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 AM
roast

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Fixed your post for you.
lol... good one...
Old 08-20-2006, 10:41 AM
bofa

Good traps just make me get better at spotting and predicting...
Old 08-20-2006, 12:49 PM
kaiser

Cops are just a little too desperate to catch people speeding.... yesterday i saw one parked 50 yards back from the road in a church parking lot radar gun drawn then a block later was a bike cop ready to chase someone down.

then a few weeks ago i was on kind of a back road with open fields and hills on either side. There was a cop at least 70 yards form teh road up on a hill with his car hidden behind two dirt piles and sh ooting his radar gun between the piles.... aren't there bigger crimes they could be stopping?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:46 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't you know that a little speeding now and then eventually leads to murder later?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:55 PM
FastZ33

lol i need a police scanner lol. where can i get one>?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:56 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Summersville WV the city set up what is being called "The Worlds Largest Speed trap".

There is a 10 miles stretch of 4 lane, divided highway that runs through the Town of Summersville. The Speedlimit suddenly drops from the 65mph it was for the last 30 miles to 50mph. The Police are instructed to pull over EVERY car that exceeds the limit by 1mph. The actully hire cops to do nothing all day and night long but sit on the side of the road or in the median and pull over people doing 1mph+ over and they ALWAYS write a ticket. No Warnings.

Last year the city had a BUDGET SURPLUS of 3 MILLION DOLLARS from writing tickets alone!!

Its gotten so bad that you can pick up "Summerville: the worlds largest speed trap" t-shirts in area stores and there are even billboards up for several miles around town that private citizens have put up.

Its CRAZY!

Here are some Websites on it;

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/...y=Summersville

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05324/608879.stm

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/07/786.asp
Old 08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
roast

That would be a fun place to test out the speed limiter. Give them a run for their money.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by sq40
Here in Summersville WV the city set up what is being called "The Worlds Largest Speed trap".

There is a 10 miles stretch of 4 lane, divided highway that runs through the Town of Summersville. The Speedlimit suddenly drops from the 65mph it was for the last 30 miles to 50mph. The Police are instructed to pull over EVERY car that exceeds the limit by 1mph. The actully hire cops to do nothing all day and night long but sit on the side of the road or in the median and pull over people doing 1mph+ over and they ALWAYS write a ticket. No Warnings.

Last year the city had a BUDGET SURPLUS of 3 MILLION DOLLARS from writing tickets alone!!

Its gotten so bad that you can pick up "Summerville: the worlds largest speed trap" t-shirts in area stores and there are even billboards up for several miles around town that private citizens have put up.

Its CRAZY!

Very interesting read! Have you gotten caught there before? I'm assuming they're still as strict (ticketed even if 1 mile over) ?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:06 PM
kaiser

Originally Posted by sq40

Its CRAZY!

sounds like an excellent place to just let the z loose

my life's goal is to be in a high speed chase and get away ahaha, i wanna just go like 140 past a cop and let him try and catch my ***..... i'm basically the reason people hate teenagers and think they are crazy(note: i normally don't speed or if i do it's not very severe, but that would just sound so cool to say you won a police chase....)
Old 08-20-2006, 03:17 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by kaiser
sounds like an excellent place to just let the z loose

my life's goal is to be in a high speed chase and get away ahaha, i wanna just go like 140 past a cop and let him try and catch my ***..... i'm basically the reason people hate teenagers and think they are crazy(note: i normally don't speed or if i do it's not very severe, but that would just sound so cool to say you won a police chase....)

You need a bike and some very uncoordinated cops.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
NewJerZ

http://www.speedtrap.org/

I know this website has already been posted...Just wanted to emphasize that it's a good resource to learn about specific speed traps in your area.

You can also post a message alerting others to speed traps ..AND "seat belt" traps (Cops in my area MUST be f*ckin bored...BUT they do pick high volume traffic roads and have a cops at Northbound and Southbound Lanes, getting people to slow down to check for seat belt compliance...NOT wearing it = $40
ticket).
Old 08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highside107
Very interesting read! Have you gotten caught there before? I'm assuming they're still as strict (ticketed even if 1 mile over) ?
I have yet to get Busted there, I always go a couple of mph under the Limit there, All of the locals do. That Stretch though is right on the main artery to the New River Gorge Bridge and all of the major rafting. It is also a shortcut for all of the Canadian traffic that goes south. Those tourists ALWAYS fly through there and get busted. It is still as strict as it always has been.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
roxtarinc
Banned

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Don't you know that a little speeding now and then eventually leads to murder later?
i guess that makes speeding a "Gateway" crime?