2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

noises that i'm not sure about

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 07:19 AM
stan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises that i'm not sure about

couldnt turn up anything using search, so here's my question:

i've put 2300 miles on my Z (this is week 2 of ownership - can you tell i like to drive it? ) and now i noticed some noises that worry me a bit. it's a 2006 6spd. there's a sound sorta like marbles in a tin can that sounds like its coming from the back of the car that i can hear if i go to a quiet place and drive slowly in first or second. its really quiet but i did notice it and i'm not sure if i should be concerned.

the other is a high pitched whine that is very faint when coasting in 6th gear, and it goes away when i push the gas.

are either of these sounds something that i should be worried about or are they just little gremlins like the way the door sounds like it is dying when you close it with the window down?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The marbles in a car is a gremlin. Not sure about the whine during crusing in 6th. Never heard of that one. The only noise that I usually get is the chatter when sitting in neutral with the clutch disengaged (sound goes away when engaged).
Old 08-28-2006, 08:20 AM
highside107

The "marbles in a can" sound you hear sounds like the "rear axle clicking" noise -- it is a TSB that Nissan has issued. Do a search for it; lots of people (including myself) have had the same problem. Didn't know that was a problem on '06s though. If it is the rear axle clicking problem, it's a quick fix at the dealership. Mines was covered under warranty so it was free and it took them an hour to fix.

Do you have a JWT Popcharger installed in your car? That could make a "whistle-like" noise which is maybe what you're hearing in 6th gear at a certain RPM. If it is from the popcharger, don't worry about that, it's normal.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:21 AM
mistico

I have an 06 as well and get the whine in 6th gear when running at constant speed. I've heard that on high mileage cars only and it usually comes from the diff. My car has 2300 miles.
It's a Zcargarage now getting a a Quaife LSD put in so if it was Diff I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

The marbles in a can, I have no idea about, but I have this squeak in the trunk area that is driving me insane. I don't want to take it to Nissan because they'll probably need amy car there a couple of days so I'm just trying to find it myself. Sounds like a plastic rubbing against something...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
BELLE13X

Mistico, I feel for you! I barely got my Z 2 weeks ago and I have this squeaking or something in my trunk area too. I have an 06 model and I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. I'm wondering if it's the bar that goes from one end to the other where the rear strut bar would be? The plastic there might be sqeaking?

I'm tempted to do the ghetto diagnostics...by putting someone back there and driving around and having them listen for it hehee I did that in my Supra and we found the problem to be the trunk hatch itself where the rubber wasn't touching both sides properly. Granted...the passenger and I went up and down a hill for fun to have my friend jiggle back and forth hehehehee It was all in good fun though - no one was hurt
Old 08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
mistico

I searched abit and found this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=trunk+squeak

I believe this is related to Belle13x and my noise, but no sure about the thread starter's noise.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
stan

after researching more, i'm thinking it might just be clutch / flywheel chattering, which is normal....its not a clicking luckily. its a sort of resonant chattering sound. the thing that would seal it being chatter for me is the fact that when idling in neutral, you can hear it, but pushing the clutch in stops it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 AM
mistico

BTW, getting a person back there would be ideal. Just need to bribe someone to do it hehehe
Old 08-28-2006, 11:04 AM
BELLE13X

Hahahaa...then I guess I got lucky? He offered to go back there (he's one of my Supra friends). Anyone want to go back there and check? Hahahahahahahaha!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:35 AM
mavtais

You do not have a problem. I've had those two symptoms since I had my car. Now on 23,000 mile mark, and 4 different track events, nothing has been hurt except the rotors from the me not changing the pads soon enough. Repeat, you do not have a problem.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by highside107
The "marbles in a can" sound you hear sounds like the "rear axle clicking" noise -- it is a TSB that Nissan has issued. Do a search for it; lots of people (including myself) have had the same problem. Didn't know that was a problem on '06s though. If it is the rear axle clicking problem, it's a quick fix at the dealership. Mines was covered under warranty so it was free and it took them an hour to fix.

Do you have a JWT Popcharger installed in your car? That could make a "whistle-like" noise which is maybe what you're hearing in 6th gear at a certain RPM. If it is from the popcharger, don't worry about that, it's normal.
Agree. There is a fifty-percent chance that you are experiencing rear axle clicking. The sound is reminiscent of dropping coins on the pavement.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stan
after researching more, i'm thinking it might just be clutch / flywheel chattering, which is normal....its not a clicking luckily. its a sort of resonant chattering sound. the thing that would seal it being chatter for me is the fact that when idling in neutral, you can hear it, but pushing the clutch in stops it.
Thats exactly what I have been experiencing since day 1. I've just learned to live with it.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Rev-em-hard

my car makes a clunk every time i shift it.also has clutch chatter, aqnd trunk sqeek. 06 interlagos fire.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 AM
day_wald_end

I also have a "whistle-like" sound coming from the back of the car. It´s an 04.
Sounds like whining... sounds really strange...
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Riggz

mark me down for an 06 that has that whining noise. Only when cruising and letting off gas...around 2.5k rpm.

dont know if i have axle clicking yet...luckily no sounds yet..
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i think i have that rear axle clicking in my 06 enthusiast...gotta take her to the dealer tomorrow =[
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Riggz

anyone know what the whining noise is?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:54 AM
mistico

Update on the whining noise:

I had my diff replaced with a Quaife and the whining is gone, so it was coming from the diff. I had an open diff though(base model) so not sure about cars with stock VLSDs
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 AM
mistico

And on the trunk squeak, I removed every piece you can think of in the back of the car, drove around and the sound is still there. Seems to be coming from where the rear shock mounts.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:00 AM
rfinkle2

i have an 06 too, and have all of the transmission noises dicussed , as well as engine pinging in the hot weather.

The cover in the trunk for the rear brace may be what is making the noise that you describe.

Quick Reply: noises that i'm not sure about