Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Worst car I have ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 PM
marhot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hcwlsu
... but my 2005 350z is the worst car I have ever owned.

Obviously, you’ve never owned a 1974 Chevrolet Vega.

I have.

THAT. IS. WORST. CAR. I. EVER. OWNED.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:26 PM
marhot

Originally Posted by Brick-Z
Bought an 03 with 18,000 miles on it and I have only had the window motor repaired.

I just had a new window motor put in this week. $407.00

My warrenty expired 07/03/2006, the window crapped out (in the down position) 08/25/06.

That is how lucky I am.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:54 PM
MyZNeo

'03 with 46k only a window motor replaced, bad luck dude! Try to lemon it... Don't give up!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
JMT

Originally Posted by marhot
Obviously, you’ve never owned a 1974 Chevrolet Vega.

I have.

THAT. IS. WORST. CAR. I. EVER. OWNED.
I was the proud owner of a 1972 Chevy Vega.

I was 16 years old, dad cosigned a loan for me. Had to have a complete engine rebuild at 22,000 miles. That had to be one of the worst cars ever BUILT!!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:41 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit off topic here, but I've noticed most of you guys in the U.S. talk about distances you have driven your car in Kilometers, but you talk about speed by Miles. Does your cluster distance reading in your car go by Kilometers?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 PM
IluvIt

K = "Thousand" so 46K = 46,000 miles. It's more slang than a measurement. And I think I speak for most people in the US when I say that their cluster reads in Miles...unless is was shipped or bought in Canada.

Last edited by IluvIt; 08-30-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 PM
ZlleH

Ah, gotcha.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 AM
BRZ3303

Originally Posted by DLo
You must have gotten one that was made on Friday.
LOL!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 AM
daveZ insanity

Default You haven't hated a car 'til you've had a Peugeot

Originally Posted by JMT
I was the proud owner of a 1972 Chevy Vega.

I was 16 years old, dad cosigned a loan for me. Had to have a complete engine rebuild at 22,000 miles. That had to be one of the worst cars ever BUILT!!
My wife was a French teacher when we first got married. She just HAD to have a Peugeot 504. She finally gave it up after the tenth or so time it died on her - she was 8 months pregnant, it was August, the air conditioning had never worked well but was once again totally nonfunctional, the gas tank leaked, one window wouldn't go down, and it just stopped running in the middle of US1. My only regret in seeing it on the hook for the last time was that I was finally getting the hang of removing and touching up the rust spots that developed from day 1.

Yes, we bought it new - and laid it to rest within 3 years.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Blue Highways

Default The Green Piece Of Chit

Worst of the worst,a '78 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz,the one with the tennis-court sized hood.
It was the largest car I have ever owned.Nobody in my family or among my friends could understand why the hell I had bought it.Every car I've had has been sporty,and the El Dee was definitely not sporty.It was just big.
It was green,inside and out.It had an 8-track.
I bought it used in '83 for $2100.I figured,it's Caddy's halo car and it's named after a classy place in France,so it must be good,right?
The day I proudly took the car home,I gave it a wash and squirted on some Simonize.When I lifted the wax rag,it was soild green on the rub surface.I was waxing the color right off the body.It was a portent of new horrors to come.I also noticed that it had LESS room for people than did the smallish Datsun 610 I had owned previously,a little coupe exactly 1/2 the Eldo's size,but it did have a HUGE trunk--and my 8-tracks had never sounded better.

Within a week I was begging the previous owner to take it back,to please make things like they used to be,but he wasn't having ANY of that.I was stuck with it.A week after that,as I was driving the Interstate in the rain,large green pieces of...stuff began slapping the windshield.
"Green leaves in Winter???", I thought,"On an 8-lane concrete slab???"
No,it was the rubberized fiberglass fillers between the body and the bumper,fill-in thingees for what was otherwise a big gap,and they were disentegrating into leaf-size chunks as they peeled away from the front of the car and plopped into my line of sight.By the time I got home,I had 2,six-inch gaps in the front end and two more growing at the rear,where the taillights were decorated with the same stuff.This is why people stopped buying GM cars.

There was no heater,but what the hell,I live in Florida--so what,right??
...but that also meant no defroster,and after the A/C quit,the Delaware-sized windshield would fog up as soon as a drop of rain fell from a cloud somewhere.I took to carrying around bath towels and a squeegee.
At least the sunroof,stuck in a 1/3 open position,provided draft after the windows quit,except when it rained.Then it either dripped on me or sprayed me (and anybody else in the car),depending on how fast I was going.Thankfully,the trunk was large enough to hold all the plastic bags and duct tape I needed to keep the inside of the car dry.
Often,the power antenna would just go up and down on it's own,and sometimes,surprisingly,things like windows and sunroofs would start working again,like they were out of town for a while but now they are back and ready to go up and down again.Luckily,the power seats had frozen in exactly the position I was most comfortable in.
I took to parking it with the keys in the ignition.

The car got about 10 MPG,due to it's 500 cubic inch engine and it's enormous two-and-a-half-ton heft.Back when gas cost the price of a can of Coke,I'm spending $5.00 per day to get to work,and I lived just a few miles from the job.
A kid stole the hood ornament for his personal bling collection.One day,the windshield developed an instant three-foot lateral crack when I passed over a railroad track.
I started thinking about how I was going to get rid of it after it ate my fave Steely Dan 8-track.By then,the antenna had locked into the down position,so I had no radio.8-tracks were all I had.After I bought the boom box,I began locking the car and taking the keys with me....

Once,the serpentine fan belt broke,leaving me (on a fast,narrow city street)without the human strength to manouver the beast when it's power steering and power brakes suddenly became unavailable.How I got out of THAT is a whole 'nother post.
The front CV joints cost $400 EACH to replace,at least $50 worth of tires wore out every month,and the day the ($300) "brain" quit was the day I began mentally typing up it's Death Warrant.
"One more thing and you're dust",I whispered to it,right after paying for the Frankenstein transplant.Eight months after I bought it,I'd had enough.

A few weeks later the brakes,without warning,began smoking like a malfunctioning bottle rocket and the pedal went to the carpet.
That was it--Death!!!

Calling upon all 500 cubes at once,I put it in park,slammed my foot to the floor and kept it there;it was roaring like a living thing,and I was cursing it above the noise
until the motor went to clunking and grinding and finally grew silent.Great gouts of smoke poured from the hood and it wept puddles of odd-colored fluids.People were coming out of their offices to watch.
I killed it,I thought.
The next day,amazingly,it started and ran just long enough to drive it to the place where it became a trade-in for a '79 280 ZX.Three hours after I signed it away the salesman called and told me that tha engine "blew" while they were parking it.
No kidding.Wow.

During the time that I owned it,my family began taking pity on me and my friends refused to ride with me.Everybody began calling it the "Green Piece of Chit",with a capital S,and the name has stuck.
These days,when the group gathers around the fire and we begin talking cars,Old Green is ALWAYS spoken about,usually accompanied with bouts of hilarious laughter that always last WAY too long.

Oh,yeah...I kept the 280 ZX for 120,000 personal miles and six years,and until I got my 350 it was my all-time favorite car.
I had to kill an Eldorado to get it,but that's Nature.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:58 PM
L33TZOR

Originally Posted by DLo
You must have gotten one that was made on Friday.
or perhaps on a monday right after a huge holiday!

Hey, don't they have that lemon law to protect us consumers???
If that doesnt work, try being nice-lotsa letters, then arbitration, then legal. Try to remedy if each step
doesnt do the trick.

roughly 4000 miles in its first 6 months.

Last edited by L33TZOR; 08-31-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by Blue Highways
Worst of the worst,a '78 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz...
I was waxing the color right off the body.

Great story, thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM
NismoZ350

Originally Posted by Blue Highways
Worst of the worst,a '78 Caddy Eldorado Biarritz,the one with the tennis-court sized hood.
Fantastic story. Unfotunately, it seems that everyone needs one of these to truly appreciate a fine car like the Z. Mine was a 1984 BMW 318i... I loved that piece of crap to death...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:46 PM
NewJerZ

<<Had the misfortune to own a 1987 Fiero GT...I helped put 2 of my mechanic's kids thru college for what I constantly paid on repairs on that P.O.S. car!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:56 PM
dubbzdiggler

Sounds like you got a lemon...I had a SE-R spec-V that was the same way...it was in the shop 20 times or so...I had three motors, pretty crazy. Nissan didn't do ****e about it, but I wanted a Z so I decided to go with a nissan one last time
Old 09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
efx

06' with only 600mi.. no problem except for people keep asking me to drive it! ROFL!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:25 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Damn, you must drive the car hard because I've driven mine almost every day since 03 and I haven't had nearly as many problems as you. Well, either that or your car could be a lemon.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lemon law has to be the same problem three times over, not multiple different problems.

30k on my 2005 and that includes half a dozen auto-x's and and a full track session at Gateway. I've taken it on several road trips from NJ as far west as St. Louis and as far south as Tampa. Never been in the shop once.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Maybe trade it for another one and hope for a better time around?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 AM
midniteangel

maybe you drove your z like ****.
you need to take care of her like a baby
Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Ztalker

Geo Metro POS

Last edited by Ztalker; 09-13-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Worst car I have ever owned