Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Viper approach:

-BMW 3-Series: "Couldn't afford the 5-series huh?"

-Mercedes Benz SLK: "Nice Benz...good thing you get free service loaners."

-Chevrolet Corvette: "Damn, that's the 18th one I've seen today!"

-Honda Civic, Dodge Neon, etc., etc., ad nauseum: "It's ok dude, we all have to start somewhere, the bottom is as good a place as any"

-BMW X3 or X5/Mercedes Benz ML class: "My wife never takes her mini-van off-road either."

-Cadillac Escalade/Lincoln Navigator: "I have two more cylinders than you and I *STILL* get better mileage."

-Any Audi: "Where's your fire-extinguisher?"

-Pontiac GTO: "It doesn't look *too* much like an Aztec"

Toyota Supra: "You paid how much for a 10 year old 6-cylinder import?

Mitsubishi 3000GT: "Does GT stand for Gross Tonnage?"

-Any pickup truck (preferably American): "Wow...I'll bet that really picks up the women...You must like 'em heavy."

-Chrysler 300: "Last time I saw a nose that flat, it was on a pug."

-Honda S2000: "I'm at 60 MPH by the time you reach peak torque"

-Hummer H2: "For as big as that thing is, mine has just as much room."

-Any Ferrari: "Is this the year you put the extension on your home or pay for a new clutch?"

NOTE: A little humility goes a long way....I would never use any of these extremely arrogant sayings because I don't want my car keyed, egged, etc. I prefer to interpret harrassment as flattery, and see how fast they can turn their attitude around when I acknowledge them as a fellow car nut and ask them genuinely about their car. Most people can't be a-holes to someone who is nice to them.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:51 PM
FLZ_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean
The Viper approach:

-
Toyota Supra: "You paid how much for a 10 year old 6-cylinder import?
What's wrong with paying 7k for my Supra. Restoring it back to stock was ummm........
Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
What's wrong with paying 7k for my Supra. Restoring it back to stock was ummm........
Lol you are mine next time I see you in da streets.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Roadstar

what about get-backs for lambos, 911s,....and..CGTs
Old 09-14-2006, 10:13 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Roadstar
what about get-backs for lambos, 911s,....and..CGTs
WTF are get-backs?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Lol you are mine next time I see you in da streets.
I passed by your place a few times, but there was no Z roadster to race.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
GFrnk69

Originally Posted by robbycolli
You are right that degrees don't make people more wealthy or successful, but putting down college is foolish. Some people can handle college and some people can't. I'm happy for your alleged success, but from your posts it appears that you missed several social skills that I picked up in college.

AT 60-70 grand/year, with no responsibilities like family or colleges loans, you must own your own place or have big savings account and that is impressive. If not you probably paid for your car in cash, yes?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, when you are 22 and others your age are talking about their college accomplishments and degrees you can remind them of your 4 years experience as a used car salesman.

I'm just upset that you would talk about what you have not done so negitively I dont really think college is for everyone or that everyone needs college. I also don't believe that a degree just proves you "are trainable."
well said
Old 09-15-2006, 01:26 AM
BMW_2_350z

You are right that degrees don't make people more wealthy or successful, but putting down college is foolish. Some people can handle college and some people can't. I'm happy for your alleged success, but from your posts it appears that you missed several social skills that I picked up in college.

I'm just upset that you would talk about what you have not done so negitively I dont really think college is for everyone or that everyone needs college. I also don't believe that a degree just proves you "are trainable."
I agree, with comment. Degrees DO make people, on average, more wealthy. The ROI on a college degree, on average again, is approx. 1,000%. Furthermore, a college degree holder earns, on average again, 28% more over the course of a career.

Of course on the flip side, the average debt coming out of college is around $50,000, and increasing each year, but still, drop 50k now, and get a 1000% return later, I took my chances and its paying off quite nicely.

just my .02 folks
Old 09-15-2006, 08:06 AM
SergEK

AT 60-70 grand/year, with no responsibilities like family or colleges loans, you must own your own place or have big savings account and that is impressive. If not you probably paid for your car in cash, yes?

Oh yeah, almost forgot, when you are 22 and others your age are talking about their college accomplishments and degrees you can remind them of your 4 years experience as a used car salesman.

First off when I was 22 I was in the military away from family with a baby on the way.....responsibility --- whats that?

I dealt with enough 22 yr old college know-it-alls in the military --- I had more experience and more skill --- the only thing that seperated us was the "paper" --- After serving honorably 6 years and paying my dues I have more than enough to be proud of vs some geek who went to college and now works at starbucks as a "manager"

Yes I have college credits and yes I could go back to school to get a degree --- but realistically I would take the courses I feel are relavent to my goals --- general ed --- right

Thats all that college means --- your trainable --- it cant hope to prove otherwise because you have no real EXPERIENCE doing anything but theory

For mega-dollar jobs a degree is a must, I understand that and if I wanted to be a CFO or CEO of a major company I would finish my degree and go for it ---not my plans

The bottom line will come down to motivation --- if your motivated a degree or lack of one isnt an automatic dont pass go sign

To stay on topic --- car guys want to be the fastest they can be....the ensuing drama between the weapon of choice is just self assurance and personal opinion --- just like religion, no one will agree 100% and some people die for the cause

Last edited by SergEK; 09-15-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM
robbycolli

Originally Posted by SergEK
First off when I was 22 I was in the military away from family with a baby on the way.....responsibility --- whats that?

I dealt with enough 22 yr old college know-it-alls in the military --- I had more experience and more skill --- the only thing that seperated us was the "paper" --- After serving honorably 6 years and paying my dues I have more than enough to be proud of vs some geek who went to college and now works at starbucks as a "manager"

Yes I have college credits and yes I could go back to school to get a degree --- but realistically I would take the courses I feel are relavent to my goals --- general ed --- right

Thats all that college means --- your trainable --- it cant hope to prove otherwise because you have no real EXPERIENCE doing anything but theory

For mega-dollar jobs a degree is a must, I understand that and if I wanted to be a CFO or CEO of a major company I would finish my degree and go for it ---not my plans

The bottom line will come down to motivation --- if your motivated a degree or lack of one isnt an automatic dont pass go sign

To stay on topic --- car guys want to be the fastest they can be....the ensuing drama between the weapon of choice is just self assurance and personal opinion --- just like religion, no one will agree 100% and some people die for the cause
Serious props for the military. Thanks for serving to protect our country.

I still dont like your attitude about college, but I can't change that. Don't you want your kid to go to college?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Zincognito

This forum never fails to amuse me!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Zincognito

Active Military here:
I get you to a certain point but correct me if im wrong, doesnt the military use GI Bill as MAJOR selling pitch these days?? You know where the 22 year old know it alls that you dealt in the military are now? if they are out like you, they more than likely are trippling what you are making as a used car salesman. Dont take me or this the wrong way but education is the way of the future and even the military knows it. The college people with inexperience can be fixed, its called internship.
right now i am and IT, a petty E4 but with the certifications i am getting now and my degree almost done, how much do you think the NAVY will have to give me in order to reenlist? do you think they will be able to afford to keep me? HELL NO, not with what education and experience i have and still getting. Technology is a monster and i would be a fool not to take advantage of what i do in the civilian world. Im looking forward to tripple digits and the only way thats possible is with education! anyone who enlisted and got out with nothing, pretty much wasted their time because the military is aching (and paying) to be used.
Just my 02

G
Old 09-15-2006, 01:34 PM
BMW_2_350z

Not having a degree is a MAJOR don't pass go for a lot of entry level positions, promotions, and leadership positions. The same is true for the military and Gov. employees.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

If this was unexpected that that is proof of your irresponsibilty up until that age. Also you put your child at risk of being fatherless.
I think they just had intellectual conversations to make and you couldn't critically think at the same level or talk about your Freudian complex, history and sociological points of view. I'm not saying you are completely dumb, but going to college does make you more structured like going to the military.

And what skill do you not so humbly speak of?

People who didn't go to college fill up the low end jobs more than people who did. Those who didn't get good jobs out of college shouldn't be there in the first place or became lazy or bitter. You know the ones who don't work harder than a C and kiss *** the last minute because they don't do their work. And yes a person who works smart and hard without a college degree tends to be more successful than the lazy C student.

You aren't too old to go to college dear boy. You sound a bit bitter for whatever reason I don't know. General ed just gives you the basic education to BS. Psychology would definetly help get into the mind of a prospective client. Also your Boss' boss would probably prefer you have a degree over someone who worked their way up. The people in the corporate ladder (who owns your company) have degrees. Why would they not want educated employees to represent them? And I'm sure they offer incentives to get a degree like most companies. Don't tell me they don't because even Home Depot offers it.
Not all college grads are trainable but it means you have more capabilities than the guy who struggled to get a GED. Theory is foundation. If you read every single salesman book on Amazon.com won't that give you an edge over all your co workers/salesman? In fact that is probably what your top salesman is doing but he won't reveal his secret. That's what non educated mechanics were saying about UTI graduates as well. Those guys coming out of there are just that, booksmart. But all my friends from highschool who were talking trash are making as much as someone's first year out of UTI. My friends have a lot of frontline experience, but they don't know how to further investigate. They ususally throw out a manual when installing something. Someone with an education would probably have read it and can formulate in their heads the whole proccess. You can make every bumbling mistake and learn the hard way or you can minimize it by preparing.
I think it was mentioned a degree guarantees nothing. Even from an Ivy league school. Although those English/law majors from Yale write funny and smart skits for the Simpsons. Or was it Harvard or Princeton? College is a long term plan and even if your career changes, you can always utilize it to your advantage.
Somewhat. College is suppose to warm you up a bit with that. But people get distracted or make other plans.

Originally Posted by SergeEK
I'm not sure what you mean on the first part and last part. I think most people just want to have fun and win.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Zincognito

Originally Posted by BMW_2_350z
Not having a degree is a MAJOR don't pass go for a lot of entry level positions, promotions, and leadership positions. The same is true for the military and Gov. employees.
thats a fact....
Old 09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
GFrnk69

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
If this was unexpected that that is proof of your irresponsibilty up until that age. Also you put your child at risk of being fatherless.

I think they just had intellectual conversations to make and you couldn't critically think at the same level or talk about your Freudian complex, history and sociological points of view. I'm not saying you are completely dumb, but going to college does make you more structured like going to the military.

And what skill do you not so humbly speak of?

People who didn't go to college fill up the low end jobs more than people who did. Those who didn't get good jobs out of college shouldn't be there in the first place or became lazy or bitter. You know the ones who don't work harder than a C and kiss *** the last minute because they don't do their work. And yes a person who works smart and hard without a college degree tends to be more successful than the lazy C student.

You aren't too old to go to college dear boy. You sound a bit bitter for whatever reason I don't know. General ed just gives you the basic education to BS. Psychology would definetly help get into the mind of a prospective client. Also your Boss' boss would probably prefer you have a degree over someone who worked their way up. The people in the corporate ladder (who owns your company) have degrees. Why would they not want educated employees to represent them? And I'm sure they offer incentives to get a degree like most companies. Don't tell me they don't because even Home Depot offers it.

Not all college grads are trainable but it means you have more capabilities than the guy who struggled to get a GED. Theory is foundation. If you read every single salesman book on Amazon.com won't that give you an edge over all your co workers/salesman? In fact that is probably what your top salesman is doing but he won't reveal his secret. That's what non educated mechanics were saying about UTI graduates as well. Those guys coming out of there are just that, booksmart. But all my friends from highschool who were talking trash are making as much as someone's first year out of UTI. My friends have a lot of frontline experience, but they don't know how to further investigate. They ususally throw out a manual when installing something. Someone with an education would probably have read it and can formulate in their heads the whole proccess. You can make every bumbling mistake and learn the hard way or you can minimize it by preparing.

I think it was mentioned a degree guarantees nothing. Even from an Ivy league school. Although those English/law majors from Yale write funny and smart skits for the Simpsons. Or was it Harvard or Princeton? College is a long term plan and even if your career changes, you can always utilize it to your advantage.

Somewhat. College is suppose to warm you up a bit with that. But people get distracted or make other plans.

I'm not sure what you mean on the first part and last part. I think most people just want to have fun and win.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Ok well a few nights ago I had this s2000 come up on me and we kind of drove spiritedly for a while then a few lights later. We both said what we liked about eachothers cars. He said he like how he had a much higher redline and was lighter but said the Z looked way better and had more torque. I said I liked the fact that he had a higher redline and that it looked good with the top up or down and it was more reliable maintanence wise. Then we raced eachother from the light and I beat him 2 out of 3. We both then waved and went our seperate ways. So yea sometimes I get *******s but for the most part the real assclows I see are other Z drivers who seem to be pissed someone else has a Z. I would have expected this from younger drivers but around here most of the drivers are older women and seem more interested in whatever than returning a friendly wave or flash of the headlights.

I guess as much as I love the Z after my experiences in iraq and the Marines I've learned that I could care less what others think of me. I know who I am and the Z doesn't make me any cooler of a person. I d however gets lots of hey nice car from older people who especially ones that know of the previous Z's and appreciate how I usually say something like "thatnks" or if they happen to have a nice car I return the favor.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by cleanandquick06
i got taken by a srt-4 once. he had alot done with the biggest ****ing intercooler ive ever seen. hes on base, everytime i see him i tell him "its still just a neon, and sports cars dont have 4 doors."
I highly doubt he cares considering he kicked your "sports car" ***.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
-BMW 3-Series: "Hey, how does it feel to pay $40,000 for a car yet still have Camrys and Accords keep pace with you?"
The sad truth is that the 04+ V6 6-speed accord will keep paces with you as well. And the new V6 Camry will come damn close.

-Mercedes Benz SLK: "I've always wondered what a $50,000 Miata looks like."
How do you relate an SLK to a miata? The only similarities between an SLK and a Miata is they are roadsters. Would you say this to a 350z roadster? LOL

-Chrysler 300: "It's still not a Bentley."
LOL finally a good one.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Ok well a few nights ago I had this s2000 come up on me and we kind of drove spiritedly for a while then a few lights later. We both said what we liked about eachothers cars. He said he like how he had a much higher redline and was lighter but said the Z looked way better and had more torque. I said I liked the fact that he had a higher redline and that it looked good with the top up or down and it was more reliable maintanence wise. Then we raced eachother from the light and I beat him 2 out of 3. We both then waved and went our seperate ways.

Nice, I had a similar encounter though we spent most of the time humorously self-loathing our cars. Sharing stories of not having space or praticality etc...

S2000 guy, "The drone gets really annyoing on the freeway." or "Sometimes I get pwned by mini-vans off the line if I don't rev it to the stratosphere!"

I was doing likewise, with our common 350z gripes.
It was a bonding experience made me appreciate the nature of sports cars altogether.

Quick Reply: Do you get harassed in your Z? Try these