Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500 + miles on one tank???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by daz311x
mine says 360. i only get around 18 mpg and i drive pretty easy. i want to get high mileage like the rest of you guys

The key is the bottom number: average miles hour. After several experiments, I found that I get my best mileage at 58 mph.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:44 AM
thepostman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beagle_Z
I presume they leave several gallons as a "reserve" because many people would see the needle on the empty mark and immediately find a station to fill up..in the old days! In the last 20 years we have become such a convenience oriented society that perhaps the automakers feel we won't pull over right away, so you get a "grace period" in effect. That's my take on it, I have no proof of course. We would have to track down the guy that designed the guages and ask him... And lets remember that the trip computer is always 'averaging' our speed and fuel use, and thus estimating based on those computations, which I understand are calculated once per minute. We use more gas going uphill (the bigger the angle, the more the gas) and of course, the opposite, using less gas going downhill (someone hit 100 MPG's here and snapped a pic..he was coasting down a 6% incline or something like that..) and we use more gas to accelerate than we would to just maintain our speed. So yeah, if we had 500 miles of totaly flat and straight road and no traffic lights or stop signs and set our CC on say 65, I bet we could eke out 600 miles! And ever since watching the Mythbusters ep on airconditioning versus widows down, I run my AC and rarely hit the freeway with the windows down. It even says in our manual to leave the windows up for better airflow (not mention keeping your headliner clean, I have to clean our X90's cabin several times a summer when I drive around with the T tops off!). Now, regarding 75+ on 205 south at ten at night: never been out that late. I leave for work at 5 am and leave for home at 3 pm, thus I miss most of the heavy traffic. I do see patrols every so often but not around the Clackamas area. When I do see a police car on the freeway, most people are freaking out and shadowing the copcar and (I presume) are afraid to pass..even if the cop is going 45 in the slow lane. They in effect bring all that traffic to down to their speed! Just pass the cop already! I see almost daily people in the fast lane, along side an 18 wheeler thats pluggin away in the middle lane at 55 and they just plain won't pass the big truck, it's like they are afraid or something, and they bottleneck the fast lane. Grrr! Pass the truck, the last place you want to be is along side a big rig or just off it's rear when a retread explodes. Anyway, I've talked to several county sherrifs in the past and they have said it's no big deal going over the speed limit a bit. They are looking for the dimbulbs out tailgating, weaving in and out dangerously or going much faster than the conditions and/or other people on the roads. It's common sense really, they can't pull over every single car that exceeds the speed limit by .1 every day, just about all of us would be in jail within a week...
Our's is an auto coupe GT in an Interlagos Fire business suit. I just zaino'd it for the first time and then put on some Maguire's NXT(?) wax and oh boy oh boy oh boy she's lookin' hot! This is our first "nice" car (read: over 30 grand, with an auto tranny, and gobs of fun to drive!). Come to think of it, she is our first AT (no more creaking knees...) and we are very happy with our choice. No car is perfect, but I have to say, well done Nissan! I wonder if they will do the GTR in Interlagos Fire?? Ok Postman, I'll be looking for a black with bra 'round the area, make sure to wave back! Have you seen the hot blonde in the red coupe or the brunette bombshell in the white coupe around the area? Also spotted are two silvers but I don't know if they work in town or not. Clackamas has Z's coming out her ears!
yo Beagle,
I think the whole 2-3 gallon "reserve" is another attempt of the dumbing down or protection of people against themselves. I think in older cars "E" really meant "E" and get your a$$ to the station.

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and last year saw the MythBuster trailer on the Benicia Bridge when the were doing the exploding aircraft cockpit experiment (exploding excessive hair cream) which was pretty funny.

I have seen the blonde in the red coupe on 217. I gave her a wave but don't think she saw me..or didn't care. You have the Interlagos Fire? By any chance did you put a ground kit on it and swapped the rear badge with a Z badge? I saw this one at Streets at Tanisbourne about a month ago.

Last edited by thepostman; 09-30-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:12 AM
kayfuNk
Banned

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com//mmps/...ideo=true&wm=1

anything is possible ;p, i got that constant for about 40 miles on the way to work the other day.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Beagle_Z

Default Nope, bone stock..

My wife and I are not the type to doctor up a car, at least not a brand new one with warranty left on it still..I would love to take our '96 X90 4X4 and swap out the old 95 horse engine with a WRX or STI engine (ha, maybe a VQ engine!) and repaint it and slap a lift kit on and all that, but no one makes stuff for that car, only 9000 were ever brought into the US. Aftermarket stuff specific to it are very very rare. Anyway, that Interlagos Fire you saw wasn't ours. I have to say the Zaino took out alot of the brown in the hue and changed it to more purple (my wife's favorite color) so she is pretty happy about that!
I totaly agree on the hash mark, of my two early 70's cars that I've owned meant business when the needle was on "E". One time my '73 was about on E and every time I went around a right hand curve the engine would start to miss. I filled up right away and it took a full tank minus about a half gallon...We had a 1989 Accord and were up in the hills above K Falls along the Oregon/Calif border and we used up so much gas going up the mountain, that I had to let the car coast down into K falls. That took a full tank minus a gallon! That's when I realized it had some in reserve (and I didn't need to let it coast..). I believe our '99 Rodeo has a 2 gallon reserve, and our Z's have 3. They must be giving us some leeway (lazy American's...!). We have some wide open roads too, whereas Europe and Japan are quite compacted. Perhaps it's not a big deal to them? At any rate, we need to take into account that reserve on any long trips but I wouldn't reley on it to save my bacon. We drive to L.A. every so often and I gas up five times in between, never letting the tank fall below 1/4 (because there better be a gas station within 100 miles at the 1/4 mark) when I'm in central Calif in all that hot desert. San Fran you say! Haven't been in awhile but yesterday at work I was talking with some coworkers about Hwy 101 through there. Solvang..Hearst Castle..Carmel..all great stops! Well, Frisco too, at the chocolate factory!

Last edited by Beagle_Z; 09-30-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
thepostman

i hear u re: the warranty. my students always ask me when I'm putting in the twin turbo ..i tell them its not even on the radar until at least the warranty is over. even then, I'm looking to keep it for a long time and a twin turbo probably isnt the best thing for longevity. i've only seen one Interlagos Fire in this area (which was the aftermkt) and that was beautiful. i stopped by some of the dealers but they dont keep them on the lot...oh well. my personal favorite spot is Napa Valley for the windy roads and I5 (Stockton->LA) for a long/flat/straight away.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Todd350ZX

Originally Posted by davidv

The key is the bottom number: average miles hour. After several experiments, I found that I get my best mileage at 58 mph.

If you reset the mpg LCD while on the freeway it will say like 50-60mpg and slowly go down to around 20-22mpg in 6th gear with o/d. So it looks like you reset yours then took a shot while it was going down. These cars do not get 34mpg no matter how grandpa you drive em.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got 31 mpg on my recent 400 mile trip and I spent a fair amount of time at 75 mph and above. 34 does not seem out of the question.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Todd350ZX

Originally Posted by teh215
I got 31 mpg on my recent 400 mile trip and I spent a fair amount of time at 75 mph and above. 34 does not seem out of the question.
I haven't took my Z on a trip yet so I don't know. So you were in 6th on cruise control most of the time?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd350ZX
So you were in 6th on cruise control most of the time?
I was in 6th but I wasn't using the cruise control.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
jungle

Just did 800 miles in 11:17. Averaged 76 MPH at just under 29 MPG. Did a short section averaging 61 MPH at about 31 MPG. Time is drive time only and did not include two fuel stops.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
JNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get around 15mpg, but I live 2 miles from work and I am accelerating hard the entire way untill its time to start braking, but seeing as I don't drive very far, I can deal with bad gas miledge b/c I only fill up once a month.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:24 PM
davidv

If you reset the mpg LCD while on the freeway it will say like 50-60mpg and slowly go down to around 20-22mpg in 6th gear with o/d. So it looks like you reset yours then took a shot while it was going down. These cars do not get 34mpg no matter how grandpa you drive em.
Correct. Kind of. I set the cruise control to 60mph. I reset the MPG. The MPG started at about 26 MPG, then 28, 30, 32, 34.5. It settled at 34.5 MPG and would not go higher.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
davidv

BTW notice what happens when I set the cruise control to 70mph. MPG drops and settles at 31.8: just as it should.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHAT!!!!!!??????? How the hell are u guys getting these Averages? i only get like 220 miles on a full that with 91 octane. my average reads 15mpg
Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
curnaco

Once I got 501 miles with the light on. I think It didnt have one drop left of fuel, luckily I found a gas station and I filled her upo with 19.5 galons......)From my trip from indianapolis to South Carolina non stop.....)
Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
WHAT!!!!!!??????? How the hell are u guys getting these Averages? i only get like 220 miles on a full that with 91 octane. my average reads 15mpg
LOL You just like to take every gear to redline that's all.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM
PythonLaX

Old 10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
thepostman

Originally Posted by davidv
Correct. Kind of. I set the cruise control to 60mph. I reset the MPG. The MPG started at about 26 MPG, then 28, 30, 32, 34.5. It settled at 34.5 MPG and would not go higher.
interesting....the highest i could go was 30.4, but good to know it is possible
Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 PM
thepostman

Originally Posted by curnaco
Once I got 501 miles with the light on. I think It didnt have one drop left of fuel, luckily I found a gas station and I filled her upo with 19.5 galons......)From my trip from indianapolis to South Carolina non stop.....)
19.5 gallons? holy cow. this is really good to know, a friend of mine has a pathfinder and he had a theory that it was actually impossible to fill up past 17 gallons. it seems that is definitely not the case.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
thepostman

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
i'm getting avg 25-29 mpg/spirited (450-475 total miles) /30% surface/70% freeway and this is what i do...
------------------------
-63-70 mph use cruise control religously
-maintain tire pressure religously (38 psi)
-minimal hard turns, smooth gear shifts
-however...i do pretty aggressive acceleration and keep the rpms in the powerband of 4000-5000 rpms. also i try to get to the highest gear as soon as possible..many times in 5th/6th pretty quickly. i also tend to go 1 to 3 to 5 as a normal shifting pattern when not needing the pwr.

Quick Reply: 500 + miles on one tank???