Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z tops the competition in Nov 2006 Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evos owners can talk smack all they want AWD is not the optimum set up on the road in the Dry. And .....whats funny is that evo owners must realize that there was no AYC on the evo so..those results are expected or i would guess it would more neck and neck. Though top end i still would give it to a Z. I have driven a evo mR and its a best as long as u can keep it in boost...a rather slouch went not but i mean thats driver related not car related. And one thing i can say is they produce similar power but what people arnt understanding is , ..that The Z is NA that means instant repsponce no lag. Thats 300 hp revup motor with its short gearing and better tired vrs the Evo mr no ayc and no able to boost out of corners immedietly and put it down proprly without ayc. ....I mean look at the stats ..this was pretty much expect. THE BIG FUSS SHOULD BE WITH THE COBALT SS DEMOLISHING A STANG GT wow. Thats some def street cred for cobalt owners . But cmon who buys a stang gt for handeling. LMAO. I dont think so much praise on the cobalts FWD handeling prowess has been given since the days of the Type r man. I mean a roots instant power SC . Its a nice compact setup. But people lets be proud some reviewer finally got a Z with good rubber. and a good model for what ..THE TRACK yea..lol. Im happy and nissan should capatilize on it seriously becasue there area alot of Sportscar owners that dont understand the Z and what its about other then a good looking car. lol. And rx8 owners are pretty cool. They understand that the 2 rotor is no match for the VQ. And without TQ and no top end on the 8 it lives on the curves between 7 and 9 k lol. The s2k is being discountined btw so whoever mentioned that...u might as well bring the 300zx in the fray lmao jk. I love the review becasue its not some idiotic review they break down entry speed corner time and exit its really a awesome review. BTW zs top end is excellent among the best i have seen in a sports car in our price. Honeslty i love top end speed and was impressed by how effortlessly the bvq pulls stock. Modded i mean is a diff story. Good review look foward to more. Remember people the 350 is still a young adult lol. Not yet the car rep wise that the 300zx is. But i tell u one thing. Its gaining alot of momentum. and fast. apparently. lol
Old 10-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That evo site is pretty funny. They just can't get over that a faster, safer, MUCH BETTER LOOKING INSIDE AND OUT, better quality inside and out and of course better handling car won the shoot out. Christ its not the end of the world.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 AM
FlyingToaster

Originally Posted by andycapp
With professional drivers they only hit 124.3mph on the Z and I can assure you they would go MUCH faster than that on the fulll length Back Straight. I can't tell you for sure how fast they *should* be able to go, but I'm pretty sure I was going at least that fast -- I *may* have hit 130, but I honestly don't know because I didn't want to look down for too long -- and it was my first time ever with my car on a track so I wasn't driving that well.
Just for comparison purposes only...

I have driven both on Full Course and Grand East this year several times in my Cayman. I can tell you with confidence, you cannot reach 130 mph before you are at the "B*tch" corner in Grand East; not with the Cayman or Z or any other car, but a cup car at least.

Most cars, if driven well into and out of the Oak Tree, can hit between 115 and 135 mph at the end of the full back straight on the Full Course config. I was hitting 115-117 coming into the B*tch and that was about as fast as I could. My best lap on Grand East was 3:26 or 3:27 and I would not know how they actually recorded 3:09 in a stock Cayman with street tires on; that is just amazing.

As a rule of thumb, you can add about 1 min. to your Full Course lap time to get a target for Grand East; it should be a little less than that, but 1 min. is about right. During the Last DE on Full Course, just 3 weeks ago, my instructor's best time was 2:16 using MPSC r-comp tires. And just to mention, my instructor has been pro-IMSA driver in the 80s, so he is not just another instructor but has racing experience. So, again, the 3:09 for the Cayman is an amazing time. I suspect the 3:12 on street tires with a Z is also an amazing time and probably us avg. drivers can only dream of.

Cheers,

FT
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
Why is the z that they tested in the "30k" category?

They tested the track version [finally!] but it costs $34k! What's up with that? The track model has larger wheels and tires, better brakes and better tires, but it costs more than $30k.

They should have tested the enthusiast model in that price category to be fair.

But Hey, Nissan's a large advertiser in their mag so I guess they built the rules to let that one slip in.

Same for the EVO. Not sure what the $29k EVO get you versus the $36k model.

Still an excellent showing from the 350z track. Handling must be way better than the EVO since the EVO seriously over-powers the z in the straights. But they shortened the track to keep the straights short so... back to my conspiracy theories...
If you read the article C&D started with the MSRP of the base car for each vehicle in the comparison. A base 350Z starts under $30,000. They then asked each manufacturer to provide a car with the best OEM performance options. Hence why they tested the Track model Z and the Lotus with the track tires. In reality the 350Z Track is more of a street car than the Lotus with the track tires that are only good for 2,000 miles.

The Evo tested had an MSRP over $30,000 as well.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Mid117

i was reading the link on the evo forum.....HAHAHAHA

"350Z's are ugly as hell, the proportions are all wrong, looks like a pontiac G6"

excuses, excuses....a lot of evo drivers are immature and think their car is invincible...

Way to go 350Z!!!! I'm going to forward this link to my friend, he's crazy about evo's
Old 10-04-2006, 07:15 AM
RBlover69

if any thinks a evo is sexy or exotic looking ...cmon brotha ....im no artist but even when i didnt own the cars a modded 350z looks sexy a modded evo looks very tunerish border line ricey. I dont like the roof wind diffurseres either. ALot about the car though functional cannot appeal to sexy like the 350 can. Body sint shaped right ...thats why our drag cofi is excellent and top end speed is excellent NA. Its comical how immature the audience can be. Accept defeat take it like a man. The evo lives on a dirt road. ANd if i had to choose a awd option in the on coming years. between the evo and suby i would pick the suby. And i like to see the AWD evo guys talk smack when the GTR hits USA. Boy alot of people are gonna get a rude awaking . lol
Old 10-04-2006, 07:36 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kinda funny to think that every Evo driver I see on the road behaves just the way the members on the Evo forum do...
Old 10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
andycapp

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Just for comparison purposes only...

I have driven both on Full Course and Grand East this year several times in my Cayman. I can tell you with confidence, you cannot reach 130 mph before you are at the "B*tch" corner in Grand East; not with the Cayman or Z or any other car, but a cup car at least.
I didn't think there was any way to get going too fast coming out of Oak Tree when you have to turn so quickly -- that means those top speeds listed must have been on the Front Straight.

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Most cars, if driven well into and out of the Oak Tree, can hit between 115 and 135 mph at the end of the full back straight on the Full Course config. I was hitting 115-117 coming into the B*tch and that was about as fast as I could. My best lap on Grand East was 3:26 or 3:27 and I would not know how they actually recorded 3:09 in a stock Cayman with street tires on; that is just amazing.

As a rule of thumb, you can add about 1 min. to your Full Course lap time to get a target for Grand East; it should be a little less than that, but 1 min. is about right. During the Last DE on Full Course, just 3 weeks ago, my instructor's best time was 2:16 using MPSC r-comp tires. And just to mention, my instructor has been pro-IMSA driver in the 80s, so he is not just another instructor but has racing experience. So, again, the 3:09 for the Cayman is an amazing time. I suspect the 3:12 on street tires with a Z is also an amazing time and probably us avg. drivers can only dream of.
I know you said 'rule of thumb' but the Full Course + 1 minute = Grand East must be somewhat off -- maybe a little high. Maybe its more like 45-50s or so. I know of a modded Evo (boost+exhaust+suspension) that was absolutly flying around the full course and was running around 2:15. No other instructor was even close to touching him that day. I can imagine that the Cayman S is an incredible track car, but I would be amazed if a stock one could blow this Evo (and driver) away like that.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 AM
plumpzz

My cousin has an evo, and hes driven my car and he won't deny the perofrmance is there. His car is WAY quicker, but its prety hard to keep it in boost at all times, and its even harder to get a good exit speed because of the smaller engine. If you can keep the boost up, the evo is a great car. He has an evo8 w/ bolt ons minus cams and exhaust manifold.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha i just got done reading the evo forums, the best part is when someone says

"C&D will give the victory to whichever company sends them the largest donation. Why is it that BMW never loses a "comparo?" It surely isn't because they're the best car."

There actually is a "comparo" in this issue, featuring a BMW 550i....that looses to an infinity M45
Old 10-04-2006, 08:37 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by moflow
hahaha i just got done reading the evo forums, the best part is when someone says

"C&D will give the victory to whichever company sends them the largest donation. Why is it that BMW never loses a "comparo?" It surely isn't because they're the best car."

There actually is a "comparo" in this issue, featuring a BMW 550i....that looses to an infinity M45
With conspiracies, we tend to believe and ignore any evidence contrary. It's human nature.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:55 PM
ghost31711

they compared my car to a civic ??

a civic???

a cobalt???

common guys... in terms of performance, our car is in the league of cayman, z4, and s2000.

the only thing our car have in common with the civic, cobalt and mustang is probably the interior quality.

before you flame, yes, i am well aware of the protentials of a civc, but we're talking STOCK here.....
Old 10-04-2006, 04:51 PM
FLZ_Boy

This strange phenominon of a Z beating out an Evo belongs in Ripley's Believe or Not record books.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
FlyingToaster

I didn't think there was any way to get going too fast coming out of Oak Tree when you have to turn so quickly -- that means those top speeds listed must have been on the Front Straight.
Front straight would certainly makes more sense to me as well frankly. I have to check the article again to see what they are listing as their entry speed to the B*tch.

I know you said 'rule of thumb' but the Full Course + 1 minute = Grand East must be somewhat off -- maybe a little high. Maybe its more like 45-50s or so. I know of a modded Evo (boost+exhaust+suspension) that was absolutly flying around the full course and was running around 2:15. No other instructor was even close to touching him that day. I can imagine that the Cayman S is an incredible track car, but I would be amazed if a stock one could blow this Evo (and driver) away like that.
You might be right about the 45-50 secs. I am not a good driver on the track, my personal experience has been 1 min. difference, but I suspect as I improve my driving that might drop, at least I hope so

Originally Posted by mc350z
i hit around 122 on the back straight after oak tree in the Z. i had a mental block where i would lift going over that blind spot before roller coaster. the only place i ever hit in the 130+ was the start/finish line straightaway in the C6
122 mph on the back straight is quite realistic if you use the full length. I was at 126-127 on the back straight and 128-129 on the front, well according to the speedometer of course.

Another thing that is amazing in C&D numbers is that they state their entry speed to up-hill Sess as 116 mph and exit as 100 mph with the Cayman. I just don't have the ***** for that in that section; I enter below 100 and exit just a tad over 90 mph; it is a darn scary section with no run off room.

At the end, most of us always suspect the driving credentials of reporters; I have no reason to doubt the numbers they published, so I have to say that we oughta take our hats of to the C&D drivers in the case.

Video of GE course in novice group: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...cayman+%40+vir

Video of Full course in beginner group: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...cayman+%40+vir
Old 10-04-2006, 08:18 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy
This strange phenominon of a Z beating out an Evo belongs in Ripley's Believe or Not record books.
its no phenminon the course was where a Z and a evo would shine but the evo had no AYC. So...im mean if u do the math its preety plain and simple. NA 300 vrs boost est 300 is gonna favor NA for out exit power and boost for straights. The Zs power band is very similar to the MR. the revup that is so .i dont see the big deal. Remember the rubber on the Z is giving it a great advantage from the old re04 days.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally Posted by RBlover69
its no phenminon the course was where a Z and a evo would shine but the evo had no AYC. So...im mean if u do the math its preety plain and simple. NA 300 vrs boost est 300 is gonna favor NA for out exit power and boost for straights. The Zs power band is very similar to the MR. the revup that is so .i dont see the big deal. Remember the rubber on the Z is giving it a great advantage from the old re04 days.
I'm just happy a stock Nissan Z getting wider tires for comp test.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
ke0ki2k

..who said the 350Z is a pig in handling? theyre stupid..thats the one place i feel that my 350 is superior to other cars, tight twisty roads...i took my 06' base coupe to deals gap and kept up with 02'-04' STi's and ran up on modded SRT-4's and made em pull off to let me go by lol
Old 10-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Z Rider

Gotta love what the article says but our Z...."Long live the king of LL1" !
Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 PM
cavallino33

They got so worked up on the evo forum. Everyone always hates on the Z so much. Now I know the EVO is fast than a 350Z alot of the time, but they act like the Z is a freaking civic towing a trailor or something. One guy on there (don't remeber who) says the Z felt like a "pickup truck". WTF? I want to know what kind of pickup this guy is driving.

Quick Reply: 350Z tops the competition in Nov 2006 Car & Driver