Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blind Spots, and how I deal with them.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I don't have a problem but after driving 7tons, and hmmwv's for 7months on really ****ty roads at all times of the day I don't find driving in a Z hard. Personally when I change lanes. I just turn my head and look out the rear quarter panel or back window as long as there is no one really close in front of me. Otherwise I use my mirror and do a quick glance. Backing in is easy the mirrors give you a perfect view of the back end so once you get that lined up you're good. I find it harder park straight in perfectly. Only thing I hate is trying to tell if I'm close enough but not to close to the curb so I don't scrape the front.

I used to try and just rely on the drivers side mirror to change lanes but realized if they are in just the right spot the only way to see them is to turn your head. As long as you're aware of whats going on in front of you turning your head is the most sure fire way to determine if a car is in your blind spot.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Google "how to adjust rear view mirrors" and you get a bunch of hits that explain how to adjust your side mirrors properly to deal with the blind spot.

A good example is this one.. http://www.motorists.com/issues/safe...t_mirrors.html
Man i don't understand how you guys didn't have it this way in the first place! I just clicked on it to and started reading and I already had mine like that XD cool 1 e-cookie for me...
Old 10-06-2006, 11:35 AM
dkorr

...and you didn't figure that out when you test drove it?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by dkorr
...and you didn't figure that out when you test drove it?
+1
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Fyxtion

this is just another reason why "there's an accident in this country every five seconds"

fyxtion
Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
iceagetlc

As for the backing up thing, it's not that I suck, it's just a habit. I've been backing into spaces since I've started driving, but for some reason this habit stayed. It's not a bad one, I just wanted to know if anyone else shared it. You don't have to bash.

As for the slanted entry, I assume most of you don't know what I am talking about, and sometimes it's impossible to try and turn your car when it's a road you're not familiar with and happen to come upon it. As for hearing cars, I lived on a farm as a child and had become very familiar with the sound of a cars miles away, and even identifying what they were before I saw them, so my hearing is ace.

The lane change thing has passed, as I mentioned, but I still have my moments.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
but I still have my moments when I like little boys .

lol jk
Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an instructor back when I was learning how to drive years ago.. what he said stuck in my head... its a very simple word.. SMOG

S - signal, indicate that you're about to make a lane change
M - mirror, check your rear and side mirrors for cars that might get in the way
O - over, as in move your head over to check your shoulder blind spot
G- go, if everything is clear... punch the pedal and turn your steering wheel

I hope that helps.. as far as parking, you just gotta practice and know your distance
Old 10-07-2006, 04:30 AM
Suvlaki

I adjust my side mirrors so that they have a very wide angle into the next lane. The way I check when I switch lanes is I look at the mirror, and then i do a quick turn of the head and actually look in that direction. It takes me all of 1/4 of a second to do and generally, with a very wide angle on the mirrors, every car will either be seen in a mirror or when u look in the direction. No blind spots.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:41 AM
FrankieZZ

Try LevelSport's blue mirror overlays . They are an overlay that goes right over the old glass with two sided tape . They have a wider range , so the blind spot is eliminated , they are great on your eyes , as they totally reduce glare , and they are very good looking on the Z . No more blind spot . They are a little pricey at around $ 79 for just two small pieces of glass and some double sided tape , but I wouldn't be without them on the Z . One tip : the tape supplied is very thick . Go to Home Depot and get a thinner two sided roll of tape . They will look terrific . A great mod and one that you will use day in and day out . Good luck !
Old 10-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Mathys

Originally Posted by Strider619
I had an instructor back when I was learning how to drive years ago.. what he said stuck in my head... its a very simple word.. SMOG

S - signal, indicate that you're about to make a lane change
M - mirror, check your rear and side mirrors for cars that might get in the way
O - over, as in move your head over to check your shoulder blind spot
G- go, if everything is clear... punch the pedal and turn your steering wheel

I hope that helps.. as far as parking, you just gotta practice and know your distance

How about the S comes after M&O?? People putting there signal on before looking scare the sh*t out of other drivers....
Old 10-08-2006, 10:27 AM
thilak

Default blind spots

I got same problem, i drive a roadster and the back/side view is horrible when the top is up. But it has super view when the top is down. I drive most the time with top down, or dont drive it at all if its cold here.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by Voboy
get one of those circular mirror addon's to the side mirror, i think they would help. I need to pick up a pair myself.

+1 that was the first thing I bought when I pcked up my Z on the way home. Actually how tall are some of you in here? its a pain for shorter people
Old 10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
+1 that was the first thing I bought when I pcked up my Z on the way home. Actually how tall are some of you in here? its a pain for shorter people
LOL how old are you too.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by Spec_Tacular
LOL how old are you too.

lol old enough to buy my own Z
Old 10-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Reyes_USN
lol old enough to buy my own Z
Haha nice come back

That reminds me of all when I was still in NC and the only Z's I saw were driven by Marines lol. Guess we were the only ones who could afford them.

I still get wierd looks from older people because I look so young.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
batmanesaul

lol to reverse park it i unbuckle my seat belt and get up and stick my head out the window..lol
Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM
jeff0181

im wiht you both on that. so i guess there are a few of us marines with Zs on the forum.

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Haha nice come back

That reminds me of all when I was still in NC and the only Z's I saw were driven by Marines lol. Guess we were the only ones who could afford them.

I still get wierd looks from older people because I look so young.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Fear Night

I have to admit the visibility of the Z is fairly poor compared to most cars on the road. It's actually a relief to be able to see everything when I turn around to change lanes in my Explorer. You have to be more alert in the Z ... I usually take note of what car is in what order in the lane etc.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:47 PM
kdogg24

Oh man I hate the blind spots on my Z. I think that is the only big flaw in the car right now. Good thing I don't back up too often! The coupe that I own makes it hard to see out the side/back area where the small windows are. Just go slow and pray for the best!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blind Spots, and how I deal with them.