Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Blind Spots, and how I deal with them.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Casanova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No no... the side mirrors are absolutely PERFECT for looking at sides.. it even gets blind spots... when i indicate left or right i dont even look behing. just look in side mirror and rear mirror.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
cavallino33

I've gotten used the the blind spots. The only time I really have an issue is when backing into a parking spot. For this situation I roll down the window and stick my head out so I can see better. Looks silly but works.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Haha nice come back

That reminds me of all when I was still in NC and the only Z's I saw were driven by Marines lol. Guess we were the only ones who could afford them.

I still get wierd looks from older people because I look so young.

youre right about that, when I was at FMSS over at LeJeune, it was all yu guys drivin them while I was left to drool when you guys drove by
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Reyes_USN

Originally Posted by cavallino33
I've gotten used the the blind spots. The only time I really have an issue is when backing into a parking spot. For this situation I roll down the window and stick my head out so I can see better. Looks silly but works.

if I got a passenger I make him/her get out and be my eyes
Old 10-09-2006, 12:08 PM
mavtais

On the Z, the rear window is very small and has a narrow view. That's why the rear view mirror is narrow too. But the placement of the side view mirrors is optimal for spirited/competitive driving, allowing you to keep your head facing in a generally forward position.
To set up your mirrors for this car and other two-seaters, you should not see the side of your car in the side view mirrors. You can gage how well you did by driving slowly (I know, that's hard to do) to let other cars pass you. You should see them in your rear view mirror, and then as they begin to leave your rear view (to the left or right), they should become visible in the side view. When they leave your side view, they should be right next to you. A quick glance out your door windows should be able to see them.

Note: Doesn't work for motorcycles because they're too small, but hopefully loud and annoying Harleys, so you can dust them and make a clean pass.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
My solution:

Step 1. Roll down the window and listen for cars, or watch for headlights.

Step 2. Take off like a bat out of hell
Watch out for those hybrids. They don't make any #!%#^^@ noise

By the way, the Z's mirrors are designed perfectly. If you set your mirrors correctly you won't have any blind spot whatsoever.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1. It didnt take me to long to adjust to the Z. The small side windows are key. Especially the passenger side one. Its just just right to help see if any cars are lingering on that side...if its a bike, I hope they can move quick
Old 10-10-2006, 06:29 AM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way guys, those small circular mirrors that I was talking about can be found at walmart for $1 each.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Watch out for those hybrids. They don't make any #!%#^^@ noise

By the way, the Z's mirrors are designed perfectly. If you set your mirrors correctly you won't have any blind spot whatsoever.
I respectfully disagree.

This is the intersection that is causing me problems. I am coming up from the South, and want to turn left and head Northwards on the road called "Le muids". In this situation, and in this situation alone, there is no visibility towards the right from the drivers seat of the Z. The only way to actually see is to unhook the seat belt and climb over on the passenger seat to take a peek.

If the passenger mirror could be extended more outwards, I could see the cars, but as it is, it goes all the way out and I still can't see anything. The passenger window is too far upfront, and the small peekhole is too far back. The timelapse between when a car enters the map I included and when it reaches the interesection is more or less 2.5 seconds. It's a very dangerous corner in all cars, but much more so in the Z.
Attached Thumbnails Blind Spots, and how I deal with them.-road-map.jpg  

Last edited by Manu; 10-10-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manu, just steer the car so you can look thru one of the windows...

No mirror will ever allow you to see incoming traffic. What ever the car you drive !

And it's not like you'd have any troubles going faster than a 1.4l Polo...
Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kolia
Manu, just steer the car so you can look thru one of the windows...

No mirror will ever allow you to see incoming traffic. What ever the car you drive !

And it's not like you'd have any troubles going faster than a 1.4l Polo...
No but a 1.4l Polo WILL leave a mark if it sideswipes me at 120 km/h.

No what scares me the most is that there are a lot of bikers and I really don't want to hit one.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
macao_friend

I used to have those small circular mirrors on my Suby. But those are just double-side taped on. When you put those on the Z, won't the heated outside mirrors' heat weakens the glue and eventually "melt" those mirrors off?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM
savagesalvage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I apologize if reopening an ancient thread is a sin.

I tilt the passenger side mirror out as far as it will go using the controls and motor, but I want more visibility into the blind spot. Even a hard manual push directly to the mirror to try to reset the mirror outwards does not do anything. I'd rather not add one of those aftermarket circular wide angle mirrors. I'm looking for something like 10 more degrees. Does anyone have an alternative idea? I'm even considering epoxying a second full size mirror to the OEM at a slight angle to gain a few more degrees.