2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

modding AT waste of time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yahookendogg
ill translate it for u. auto sux; period. i bet u have an auto too apparently... some of u guys take opinions too seriously jeez
they should ban auto Zs lol
you are def a newb to performance,just pop in a good v/b upgrade and its a done deal.it will shift faster then a manual anyday,seems kinda funny how audis dsg is quicker in the 1/4 then its own manual trans version.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
spf4000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This tread has been done so many times, I'm sick of posting the same information every time but a Japanese car magazine did a test of whether a person was faster around a track in an auto Z or a manual Z. They used three people: one professional racer and two car magazine editors. Both of the car magazine editors were capable drivers (better than most of you).

They put them through a series of trials including an autocross course as well as a full circuit, and guess what? The only person who was faster in the manual was the professional driver. He was a whopping 0.1 sec faster in the 1/4, and around the circuit, he was approx. 0.3 quicker in the manual Z. The two editors were FASTER in the auto Z, and one of them was faster around the circuit by more than 0.5 seconds!

The reason? Unless you race cars for a living, shifting is a distraction. It takes away focus from driving the perfect line and utilizing the tires to their fullest. When you're driving a manual, you're forced to think about downshifting, heel-toe, etc. If you take away shifting, you can concentrate on braking, turning, and accelerating, which is the important thing to going fast around a track.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
yahookendogg

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Well if they ban our auto Zs what would jackasses like you have to complain about all day??
i watched the new jackass movie and it was really good. i think u were in it in one of the skits.
i was just joking; thx for callin me a jackass and have fun at ur pre-school and ur auto Z

Last edited by yahookendogg; 10-12-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM
350V

I've got a 6 speed. Auto trans is a preference, just like leather, or nav, or anything else. I say mod the **** out of it, and don't look back. Enjoy yourself, and have fun with it.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
garyovich

Originally Posted by spf4000
This tread has been done so many times, I'm sick of posting the same information every time but a Japanese car magazine did a test of whether a person was faster around a track in an auto Z or a manual Z. They used three people: one professional racer and two car magazine editors. Both of the car magazine editors were capable drivers (better than most of you).

They put them through a series of trials including an autocross course as well as a full circuit, and guess what? The only person who was faster in the manual was the professional driver. He was a whopping 0.1 sec faster in the 1/4, and around the circuit, he was approx. 0.3 quicker in the manual Z. The two editors were FASTER in the auto Z, and one of them was faster around the circuit by more than 0.5 seconds!

The reason? Unless you race cars for a living, shifting is a distraction. It takes away focus from driving the perfect line and utilizing the tires to their fullest. When you're driving a manual, you're forced to think about downshifting, heel-toe, etc. If you take away shifting, you can concentrate on braking, turning, and accelerating, which is the important thing to going fast around a track.
thanks a lot, you don't by chance have a link to that article do you?

gary
Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Ghost 350z

I hate this thread

DIE THREAD DIE!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
ZLadie2000
Banned

i watched the new jackass movie and it was really good. i think u were in it in one of the skits.
i was just joking; thx for callin me a jackass and have fun at ur pre-school and ur auto Z
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by MUZZY
Ummmm automatic is slower than manual if they both have the same mods by 10%. go look it up at vs man stock times and 0-60's. with at u loose power but gain reliability. and visversa for man.
Why don't you just post the links where it shows that an equally modded 5AT is slower than the 6MT.? I tried Google, Ask and MSN and I can't find that link.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<---- Auto Z, wanna race?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:07 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by ZU L8R

^^^ good one,i guess there wont be many takers.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 AM
MattL 7941

for sure go for it... are you serbian? PM me.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

Auto G does....
Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Da prez

everything, the way the shiftknob looks outside the car inside the car... just doesn't look right u know. shouldn't have made auto Zs in the first place, do u see any auto S2Ks, evo, sti's ? i don't think anyone would buy em if it was auto. but i do think g35s look OK with auto cuz they don't really look like sports cars. i dunno bout u guys but i see buncha old secretary ladies drivin Zs here in soCAL and i can almost guarantee that it's auto
Have you ever heard of a 911 turbo ? The auto is faster then the manual version of the car? 911 turbo auto 1/4 mile in about 11.5 sec, not a true sports car, please get real ?

Drive what you like auto or manual !
Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I have a Auto...well a Auto 300ZX TT and the car responds to mods as nice as a manual model i used to have. I plan to do a Manual swap sometime in the future though, i like having full control of my gears.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:31 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auto is less 16hp than the manual.. altho torque on A/T is 37.9, while on M/T is 36.8...

A/T = 294hp , M/T = 310hp

are there mods that can't be done on auto, but only on manual ? and other way round? and which one got more mod choices in the market??

another thing,.. i know that in M/T u can do hell of drifting.. can it be done in A/T ??? e.g the cluch kick ... because in an auto, i think it will directly jump into next gear..

let me know what u think guys .. i just need to decide on which model i sattle ..

thnx
Old 10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by JJ350
Anyone that talks **** about automatic transmissions is a complete tool. An auto trans can be just as fast (usually faster actually due to every shift being perfect) as opposed to a manual, and they definitely have the same after-market possibility. Heck drag racing tuners tend to prefer auto transmissions due to their perfect shifting, and lack of having to worry about burning clutch's, grinding gears, or any other issues that very commonly come up with high HP manual cars.
+1
The manual is faster than auto bs just doesn't hold water any longer. Back in the day, yes. Today.........uh uh.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:48 PM
HDPDZO6

The only way in which the MT is faster than the AT... The MT shifts into 6th gear ALOT faster than the AT.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:28 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Here's a personal analogy;

I began as an F-4 pilot just over thirty years ago. That aircraft was extremely powerful and fast, technically unsophisticated, and a true handful to fly at the edge of the envelope. It required a bunch of skills to fly well, and in the hands of an experienced driver, was unbeatable. In the hands of a rookie, it could be either a pig or a death trap.

Just before I retired, I flew an F-18. I was behind the airplane from the moment I took off. The rookies who fly it now are amazing - the airplane is so technically capable that it actually makes for a superior pilot/aircraft/weapons system combination right out of the box.

Moral of the story - only a fool clings to the old "manual is better than auto" mythology. If you are truly into "performance", then embrace the reality of technology, not yesterday's folklore. The 350Z A/T is an awesome box - I'll kill the average M/T guy in every regime, every time, because smooth and fast go hand in hand.

An old guy's $.02
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by TheLord
auto is less 16hp than the manual.. altho torque on A/T is 37.9, while on M/T is 36.8...

A/T = 294hp , M/T = 310hp

are there mods that can't be done on auto, but only on manual ? and other way round? and which one got more mod choices in the market??

another thing,.. i know that in M/T u can do hell of drifting.. can it be done in A/T ??? e.g the cluch kick ... because in an auto, i think it will directly jump into next gear..

let me know what u think guys .. i just need to decide on which model i sattle ..

thnx

??? '06 A/T 287hp, '06 M/T 300hp because of the rev-up engine... same torque though so really makes no difference.

A/T Manumatic mode works exactly the same as a manual transmission, except without a clutch. It will never change gears for you unless you TELL it to, or unless the engine is ready to stall (in which case, it will downshift.)

Quick Reply: modding AT waste of time?