Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

would you buy a 350z with a new engine and trans. installed by dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 PM
hooman6mt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would you buy a 350z with a new engine and trans. installed by dealer?

Hey guys,

I have an oppurtunity to buy a 03 350z 6mt that had a new engine and trans. installed by the dealer. The transmission problem I know about, since I had it replaced on my 03 G35 (grinding from 2 to 3), but the engine I'm not sure. Do you think there is anything to worry about? I'm mainly worried the previous owner was abusive, and other parts are going to starting wearing out soon.

Car has approx. 27k miles on it. And looks clean, fully loaded, with Nav.

Would you buy it?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they offering a warranty on the powertrain?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:02 PM
hooman6mt

Originally Posted by tropicalypso
Are they offering a warranty on the powertrain?
nope...just 36,000 miles of normal bumper to bumper.

I think Nissan warranties it's work for 1 year correct? Infiniti did.

The engine was just installed, as approx. 15 (fifteen) miles on it. Trans has about 250 miles on it.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:06 PM
hardrock905

I wouldn't touch that deal without a lot more info, and I still wouldn't feel very safe buying it probably.
Like you said......why did the engine need replaced?
Also....is it a brand new engine with 0 miles, a re-built engine, an engine from a wrecked z?
Have you ran it thru CarFax?
If they are offering a drivetrain warranty and are giving an excellent deal, I may consider it, otherwise, no way.
There are plenty of sweet used z's on the market now.

Edit....just saw your post. If it is just the standard warranty, it has already expired for an 03. Run away quickly and don't look back.

Last edited by hardrock905; 10-12-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why buy a headache?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
G352NV

Do you guys know how easy this motor is to pull in and out? Theres not a whole lot that can be fugged up.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
JohnIrving

Originally Posted by davidv
Why buy a headache?
+1

I've been holding off on purchasing a Z for quite some time - waiting for the perfect moment that I see the right 1.car for the right 2.price. In looking at dozens, I've passed up on a couple that really felt like THE ONE to buy, except for that <one> thing that seems a little bit not right about the situation.

But I guess if you feel that this is the one, then go for it because of that whole "only live once" thing.

Just my
Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
hooman6mt

Originally Posted by JohnIrving
+1

I've been holding off on purchasing a Z for quite some time - waiting for the perfect moment that I see the right 1.car for the right 2.price. In looking at dozens, I've passed up on a couple that really felt like THE ONE to buy, except for that <one> thing that seems a little bit not right about the situation.

But I guess if you feel that this is the one, then go for it because of that whole "only live once" thing.

Just my
I already own a roadster...but the dealership wants to dump it. It's been in and out of shops for about a year (that's why the mileage is low). No body work (had it checked out by a trusted 3rd party body shop), and frame is straight.

I've done the research on it...I just can't pull the trigger on it. I don't know what it is, but something tells me I will have more gremlins in the future...but besides a tune up, I can't think of what else an abusive driver will cause. Interior and exterior look good.

AAAAHHH...I'm prob not going to go through with it...better safe than sorry...

Thanks for helping me convince myself Still open to input though.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:44 PM
BigRez
Banned

I would not purchase a 350z with a new engine and trasmission installed by the dealer. any more questions
Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 PM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant understand this site it is a car. You buy it, drive it, beat it, throw it away. I mean it is not a huge amount of cash for these things. I race my 350z hell I think I am on my fourth car and maybe my 9th motor. I finally ended up just buying rebuilts. Yeah some crap in my car doesnt work but who cares really it is not a new car. The darn thing is used you want it perfect take it apart and put the stupid thing back together so you know it is right. People do that with cars that cost way more money then these. No one can offer any advice on something they have not taken a look at or have first hand knowledge of. Hell if they gave me a warranty a new motor and trans the paint looked good it drove ok I say BUY IT and drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good bye
Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 AM
afro561

I just couldnt justify buying a car with that type of work done to it. I have a lot of friends who are mechanics (some are good some are alright) but you just never know who the hell worked on that car. And if it doesnt come with any type of warranty it seems like they are just trying to get rid of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 AM
CLMZ

Although I agree with most of the posts above, let me leave you with this...

The motor blew on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 01. It had 71K miles (threw a rod). It was out of warranty and I had to make a conscience decision to dump it for parts or put a new motor in it.

Mind you, I did not abuse it in any way and I religiously changed the oil every 3K so the truck was in great/excellent shape.

I decided to go with a new motor, installed at the Jeep dealer. Needless to say, it was the right choice and I now have over 181K on her without nearly a hiccup from the new motor.

Sometimes the installation of a new motor does not necessarily denote "a problem" ... sometimes shyte just happens.

By the way.... I fought with Jeep/Chrysler on the engine problem. How in the world can a proven inline six like Jeep's let go at 70K????

I ended up getting zilch out of the company but I did get a response, after the fact, from a manager at the local dealership (who installed the new engine).... he claimed that once in a while there is a manufacturing flaw that can occur that will cause the motor to "let go" after 50K. WTF!!!!!

Sorry for such a long post... just thought I'd share my experience with you. FWIW !
Old 10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by BigRez
I would not purchase a 350z with a new engine and trasmission installed by the dealer. any more questions
Why not? When I bought my car in NH it had 46k on it. Right after, I found out about the oil consumption issue and got that going with a dealer over here in Atlanta.

Since then, they have installed a brand new longblock and along the way I have had a new transmission and clutch replaced.

Its a brand new car all over again. I mean it sucked to go through all of that but I got a kick *** deal on a brand new car. Now its in tip top shape and runs/feels like it came right off the lot.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor might have been replaced for oil consumption. If they give you a warranty on the new stuff I really don't see a big downside.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:30 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by CLMZ
Although I agree with most of the posts above, let me leave you with this...

The motor blew on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee in 01. It had 71K miles (threw a rod). It was out of warranty and I had to make a conscience decision to dump it for parts or put a new motor in it.

Mind you, I did not abuse it in any way and I religiously changed the oil every 3K so the truck was in great/excellent shape.

I decided to go with a new motor, installed at the Jeep dealer. Needless to say, it was the right choice and I now have over 181K on her without nearly a hiccup from the new motor.

Sometimes the installation of a new motor does not necessarily denote "a problem" ... sometimes shyte just happens.

By the way.... I fought with Jeep/Chrysler on the engine problem. How in the world can a proven inline six like Jeep's let go at 70K????

I ended up getting zilch out of the company but I did get a response, after the fact, from a manager at the local dealership (who installed the new engine).... he claimed that once in a while there is a manufacturing flaw that can occur that will cause the motor to "let go" after 50K. WTF!!!!!

Sorry for such a long post... just thought I'd share my experience with you. FWIW !
that sucks!! i have had 3 jeeps all with the straight 6 and that engine is bulletproof! i put 173k miles on my 94 grand cherokee before anything went wrong (lifter) but 70k i have never heard of. sucks they are getting rid of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
hooman6mt

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
Motor might have been replaced for oil consumption. If they give you a warranty on the new stuff I really don't see a big downside.

They give me a 12 month/12k miles Nissan warranty on parts and labor of the parts replaced. So engine, trans, and clutch.

At first I was hesitant, but after reading some of the posts I may as well go through with it. It's a brand new crate engine, closest to getting a brand new car (without the price).

I talked to the dealer last night and this was their reasoning:

They can't keep used cars on their lot for more than 60 days. They said after 60 days it becomes an aged unit and they need to dump it. This car has been there fore over 180 days and the GM said get whatever you can for it. He said that 6 blue books have changed on this, and the car is no longer worth what they paid. They know they are taking a loss, and since I'm good friends with the sales manager, he personally called me (I was talking about getting a coupe in addition to my roadsters) and told me about the deal.

I'm going in today to talk to them, and take my buddy who is a master tech for BMW. Have him check it out.

Thanks for the help guys...I'll be sure to post pictures if I end up buying it.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
hooman6mt

Update:

Bought the car yesterday, and drove it up last night from san diego. Still breaking in the car, has approx. 600 miles on it.

Car drove fine, and seems great. Pulls a little to the right, but I've read some issues with the control arm. That might need to be replaced. Taking it to the dealer in another couple hundred miles for an oil change and get the pulling issue or alignment issue looked at.

Plus the warranty is 5 years/60k miles.

That adds a second car to the stable. 05 350zr automatic, and 03 350z 6mt.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:17 PM
CLMZ

Congrats!

Now... show us some pics...!
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM
LIdrew

I would rather have a used car with a brand new engine and tranny than a used car with a used engine and used tranny.

Good luck!!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM
hooman6mt

I'd rather post some pics once the mods start coming...I just feel embaressed posting stock pics...

Quick Reply: would you buy a 350z with a new engine and trans. installed by dealer?