Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

06 vs. 07

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Evans Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy 07 model, at least it got a new engine!!! and I like the 7500rpm redline!!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
infamous350

Default gsfdg

i would get a 03-05 there alot faster then the 06 i mean i have a 03 stock and my freind has a 06 with a exhaust and i beat him everytime we even switched cars and i lost in his car the 06 is alot slower its heavier and has less torque more horse power but that doesnt help with the extra wait 03 is the fastest if you get a good one like me no tranny failure no feathering nothin and i have 45000 miles on it now granted i bought mine certified maybe they did all the tsb before i got it
Old 11-09-2006, 01:56 PM
trentor

Originally Posted by infamous350
i would get a 03-05 there alot faster then the 06 i mean i have a 03 stock and my freind has a 06 with a exhaust and i beat him everytime we even switched cars and i lost in his car the 06 is alot slower its heavier and has less torque more horse power but that doesnt help with the extra wait 03 is the fastest if you get a good one like me no tranny failure no feathering nothin and i have 45000 miles on it now granted i bought mine certified maybe they did all the tsb before i got it
i don't buy it. there's not that huge of a difference in weight. plus with extra 13hp and more "usable" torque, the 06 should easily keep up if not beat the earlier models. you also have to keep in mind the trim level. are both cars a base model? is the 06 a touring while the 03 is a base? also, no two cars perform exactly the same. your 03 may have above average power for an 03, while the 06 could be below average. is the 03 a 6spd and the 06 an auto? were you low on gas while the 06 had a full tank?

there's a ton of factors here when you're talking about practically the exact same car.

and here's a kicker... depending on the exhaust and whether your friend has had the car tuned, his '06 is VERY possibly slower than stock.

anyway...just my thoughts. sorry for the pop quiz

oh, and i almost forgot...can you read that "sentence" you just posted in one breath? i tried and failed. (sorry...the grammar police just couldn't help itself)

Last edited by trentor; 11-09-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Slater126

Originally Posted by knucklez
I was thinking of purchasing a 06 350z this november/december. But hearing of the "performance enhancements" on the 07, should i wait until january to buy the 07 350z?
I have a strong feeling that Nissan screwed up and overbuilt the '06 model and, as such, is being very quiet about the new car, and instructed the magazines it supports to do the same. Car & Driver, Motor Trend and Road & Track have been dead silent on the '07. MT (I believe) really downplayed the '07 in its '07 New Car Guide -- basically saying that there would only be minor tweaks and a slight bump in power. Honey, a brand new engine is not a minor tweak! Think we're dumb? Another (R&T I believe) mentioned the 350Z as "unchanged" for '07. And in its December 2006 issue, CD named the '06 Z the #1 car under $30k. Another car languishing in showrooms due to an anticipated new model (the Mitsubishi Evo) got second.

Things that make you go hmmmmm, that's for sure!

So what does this mean? Well, other than another highlight of the fact that you have to take automaker sponsored car mags with a whole bunch of salt, you can probably get a very, very good deal on an '06 right now. Personally, a brand new engine design that promises to be smoother and more refined is enough to make me wait. As a BMW fan, I really value smoothness and balance over raw power (though the fact that the new Z will have a few more ponies certainly don't hurt ). But the '06 model isn't bad at all and since Edmunds and KBB show them as selling for only a few bucks over invoice, you'll never get a better deal on a new Z.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slater126
I have a strong feeling that Nissan screwed up and overbuilt the '06 model and, as such, is being very quiet about the new car, and instructed the magazines it supports to do the same. Car & Driver, Motor Trend and Road & Track have been dead silent on the '07. MT (I believe) really downplayed the '07 in its '07 New Car Guide -- basically saying that there would only be minor tweaks and a slight bump in power. Honey, a brand new engine is not a minor tweak! Think we're dumb? Another (R&T I believe) mentioned the 350Z as "unchanged" for '07. And in its December 2006 issue, CD named the '06 Z the #1 car under $30k. Another car languishing in showrooms due to an anticipated new model (the Mitsubishi Evo) got second.

Things that make you go hmmmmm, that's for sure!

So what does this mean? Well, other than another highlight of the fact that you have to take automaker sponsored car mags with a whole bunch of salt, you can probably get a very, very good deal on an '06 right now. Personally, a brand new engine design that promises to be smoother and more refined is enough to make me wait. As a BMW fan, I really value smoothness and balance over raw power (though the fact that the new Z will have a few more ponies certainly don't hurt ). But the '06 model isn't bad at all and since Edmunds and KBB show them as selling for only a few bucks over invoice, you'll never get a better deal on a new Z.
Good post.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:45 AM
BlackZero6

i understand that theres a new rating for power

but completely new motor twin intakes and blah blah....and only 5 hp and 8lb tq???

that doesnt make sense.........i wasnt expect great new numbers but 5hp???!!

yea somethings up...maybe has something up their sleeve for the 07 model...or maybe a 07.5 big release
Old 11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
jeeper78

Speculation is that under the old HP numbering system, that gain is more like 15hp instead of the 6 that you see on paper. Considering that it's also gaining tq, and these are both peak numbers (the gains are likely through the whole RPM band), I'd say it's a pretty good upgrade. Kudos to Nissan for continuously tweaking their best engine and getting more and more out of it.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Slater126

Originally Posted by davidv
Good post.
Thank you sir. Read the below link for a detailed description of the new VQ35HR engine. It carries "40 significant changes" according to the summary. Not only does it make more power, but it is 10% more fuel efficient to boot. And it would seem that it sounds better too with true duals (yeah!). People may view the concept of "change" differently but I think most true car enthusiasts would agree that this engine represents a major change.

http://www.*********.com/zwiki/VQ35HR

I'll be salivating over those pictures until April thank you!

Not that the old car is bad by any stretch of the imagination. I rented a silver '06 (automatic) in Vegas this past June after my sorry attempt to rent a Shelby GT-H failed miserably. I had a blast in that car and came away thinking I would buy one. If I was on a tight budget, and/or not the car geek that I am, I'd grab an '06 as it's a bargain now. For me though, '07 it will be.

And I also can live with the hood, especially since it has the functional task of accommodating those twin snorkles!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slater126
Thank you sir. Read the below link for a detailed description of the new VQ35HR engine. It carries "40 significant changes" according to the summary. Not only does it make more power, but it is 10% more fuel efficient to boot. And it would seem that it sounds better too with true duals (yeah!). People may view the concept of "change" differently but I think most true car enthusiasts would agree that this engine represents a major change.

http://www.*********.com/zwiki/VQ35HR

I'll be salivating over those pictures until April thank you!

Not that the old car is bad by any stretch of the imagination. I rented a silver '06 (automatic) in Vegas this past June after my sorry attempt to rent a Shelby GT-H failed miserably. I had a blast in that car and came away thinking I would buy one. If I was on a tight budget, and/or not the car geek that I am, I'd grab an '06 as it's a bargain now. For me though, '07 it will be.

And I also can live with the hood, especially since it has the functional task of accommodating those twin snorkles!
I agree with just about everything you've said, except i wanted to mention that the 06 you rented did NOT have the revup engine since it was an auto.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 PM
compitaveggie

Why dont you just wait till 2009 and get the completely new Z? DumB!!!!

The car is basiclly the same so why wait and let the STYLE of the current model get older and miss enjoying it for the few months you have to wait?

Unless your waiting for a completely new model, waiting for a new model year is just a waist of time cause the older the style is the less appeal it has to the general public. ( I used to get tons of compliments for my car 2 years ago, now a just a few) It still has a few short years till it changes so buy one NOW and get what you can till the new one comes out and takes all the attention from it.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Slater126

Originally Posted by compitaveggie
Why dont you just wait till 2009 and get the completely new Z? DumB!!!!

The car is basiclly the same so why wait and let the STYLE of the current model get older and miss enjoying it for the few months you have to wait?

Unless your waiting for a completely new model, waiting for a new model year is just a waist of time cause the older the style is the less appeal it has to the general public. ( I used to get tons of compliments for my car 2 years ago, now a just a few) It still has a few short years till it changes so buy one NOW and get what you can till the new one comes out and takes all the attention from it.
Waiting for the "'09" would be too speculative. For the totally new Z, some say '08, others '09 and I've even heard '10. Here, we know for verified fact that the '07 is coming out in less than 2 months. I think most car guys would wait a mere 7 weeks for a new and better motor, exhaust system and intake system. That's why the magazines, and Nissan are downplaying it. They appear to have too many '06's left.

As to an old style becoming less attractive when the new one comes out, it really depends. Personally, I think the '97-'03 BMW 5-Series looks much better than the current 5-Series, and I also think each generation of BMW 3-Series since the E30 became less and less attractive (and heavier and slower). On the flip side, the current Civic makes the last one look laughable. It just depends. The current Z is good enough so I wouldn't be too worried about that.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Havok_RLS2

Get an 06. all this talk about the HR motor reving to 7500 rpm is making me wana . I don't know why all the hype about reving to 7500 rpm is such a big deal when I'm currently reving at 7500 ater a reflash and I'm sure that if you as around there are a few people that are reving higher than that.

Sometimes having the newest model isn't all it's cracked up to be or have we all forgotten OBDII? Talk about almost being that begining of the end for us tuners back in the day.
Saying that the motor is newer is one thing but saying it's better is a matter of opinion. What makes this new motor better? Can I use any of my current parts for modding? Can any tuning be performed on the ECU like a reflash? How about tuning with a piggy back ECU like the e-manage or Utec? New cams? I guess a plenum spacers is out of the question huh? Answer to all these questions and more = probably not.
However you do get the honor of driving a new car with a new motor controlled by a new ECU that might be smarter than you. Yeah I gues some would call that better... Not me. I like my 05 and most people can't tell the difference between my 05 and a 06 at first glance anyway.

IMHO the 07 wont be worth much to tuners and modders like myself until the aftermarket can catch up to the technology and by then the new 2009 Z should be on the market. I'm waiting on the 450z.

just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 11-10-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Nismo350ZRT

I think if you're going to stay NA then an 07 is absolutely the way to go. If you plan on modding, especially going turbo, then I'd stick with an 03-06. Those of you that think turbo kits and cams will be available for the HR in less than a year are kidding themselves. By the time those things are available, the 09 Z will be right around the corner. I don't know about you but I'd be hesitant to drop 10g's of mods into my car when you could put that towards a 380Z/450Z.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:29 PM
MannyChance

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Get an 06. all this talk about the HR motor reving to 7500 rpm is making me wana . I don't know why all the hype about reving to 7500 rpm is such a big deal when I'm currently reving at 7500 ater a reflash and I'm sure that if you as around there are a few people that are reving higher than that.

Sometimes having the newest model isn't all it's cracked up to be or have we all forgotten OBDII? Talk about almost being that begining of the end for us tuners back in the day.
Saying that the motor is newer is one thing but saying it's better is a matter of opinion. What makes this new motor better? Can I use any of my current parts for modding? Can any tuning be performed on the ECU like a reflash? How about tuning with a piggy back ECU like the e-manage or Utec? New cams? I guess a plenum spacers is out of the question huh? Answer to all these questions and more = probably not.
However you do get the honor of driving a new car with a new motor controled by a new ECU that might be smarter than you. Yeah I gues some would call that better... Not me. I like my 05 and most people can't tell the difference between and 05 and 06 at first glance anyway.

IMHO the 07 wont be worth much to tuners and modders like myself until the aftermarket can catch up to the technology and by the new 2009 Z should be on the market. I'm waiting on the 450z.

just my thoughts on the matter.

Hey Forum, was searching for the newest Z specs & discovered this website. Plenty of good points & info going around on modding, this post in particular. The 07 as is, probably not my choice either. '08 or '09 better choice for new.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
I think if you're going to stay NA then an 07 is absolutely the way to go. If you plan on modding, especially going turbo, then I'd stick with an 03-06. Those of you that think turbo kits and cams will be available for the HR in less than a year are kidding themselves. By the time those things are available, the 09 Z will be right around the corner. I don't know about you but I'd be hesitant to drop 10g's of mods into my car when you could put that towards a 380Z/450Z.
Thanks Polly.

Wana cracker?

Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by MECANICO
'06 or '07? '07 or '06? JK! Get the '07, I've waited 4yrs to be able to finally get mine.
Proud owner of a more expensive slower possibly slower car.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Thanks Polly.

Wana cracker?

LOL. I summed up what you said in one concise paragraph. That's what a college degree can do for you.

Next time I'll just '+1' your post so you don't get your panties all in a twist.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
compitaveggie

Im just saying sooo many people keep on saying to wait till the next one comes out becuase it will be better, it happens all year long while the current model just gets older and older, they wait so much time and they only get to enjoy their new car for a few years before it loses appeal to the completly redesigned new model(not little changes that a hard to be noticed). I just would suggest to jump on the boat and quit waiting, heck if you wait ten years i bet the Z in 2016 will have at least 450 hp. Seems ridiculous to wait. Performance wise any car will only get better with time, i bet the first Z made is slower than a new Ford Focus, but i bet the focus owner never enjoyed his car as much as a Z owner did when it was new. Like wise the old Z's dont get as much attention (general public, NOT Z lovers) as a new one. So to wait and wait is dumb, if people wait soo long and the 07 is not much diffrent from the 06, even if it, is how long before the whole new and diffrent Z comes out 1 or 2 years. 1 or 2 years of feeling special in your car before your left in the dark by the new one. Just buy one now becuase the current models days are numbered.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 PM
knucklez

I'm leaning more towards getting a 06 and saving tons of money. Does anyone know how much a 06 base coupe would run for brand new during this time of the year?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 AM
evolved326

Originally Posted by knucklez
I'm leaning more towards getting a 06 and saving tons of money. Does anyone know how much a 06 base coupe would run for brand new during this time of the year?

How much is a ton of money? According to some, dealerships are already offering $300 over invoice for preorders. The 06 will still be cheaper yes, but if you can afford to buy and maintain a Z, maybe a couple hundred is worth the performance increase. You do know about the performance increases being reported right? (G35 reviews)

Quick Reply: 06 vs. 07