Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wow so the Z had a bad night yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at least one user did get his throttle replaced when the car went into limp mode. It wasn't cheap at all. $1200 I think.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djtonium
Well at least one user did get his throttle replaced when the car went into limp mode. It wasn't cheap at all. $1200 I think.
Exactly....Bad TPS = LIMP MODE, not WOT. I'm sure that Nissan Engineers designed the system this way.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:12 AM
dkorr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

last time i heard about sudden (voluntary) acceleration of a car was with Audis in the mid 80s
Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
tak

What about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796264.stm
Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
TurboSteve

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Well basically what happened was I was leaving campus after my english class around 7pm and when I took off from the light the gas pedal stuck to the floor and I lost control and ended up going sideways and running up over the left side median, regaining some control and going sideways again and up onto the sidewalk. By that time I realized that it was stuck or something else was wrong so I put it in neutral and finally got it stopped.

So I looked at it and the rear left tire is bent like really bad. So the suspension is fuked. Because I ran up on those medians apparantly it shoved up the whole engine because the strut bar had 4 of the nuts missing and it was barely still connected. So now I'm waiting on the insurance to call me back and see if they are going to handle this or if Nissan is going to have to.

I'm assuming they'll defer to nissan since that would be a mechanical error and well that type of thing shouldn't happen. So yea I'm w/o the Z for who knows how long.

Luckily my parents have a spare car so I'm borrowing the beemer.

You DIE.

*haha i figure somebody had to say it!*
Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by tak
Is a 318 drive by wire, or does it have a mechanical linkage?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:52 AM
sanf

it happend to my 87 supra turbo. the cable wire was just too dry. i didn't have to floor it, it would get jammed and speed up. the fix was to grease every section of the cable, from pedal to the engine.

i am not so sure of why a 04 Z would act such a way since it's still so new. perhaps the accelerator system is defective
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by sanf
it happend to my 87 supra turbo. the cable wire was just too dry. i didn't have to floor it, it would get jammed and speed up. the fix was to grease every section of the cable, from pedal to the engine.

i am not so sure of why a 04 Z would act such a way since it's still so new. perhaps the accelerator system is defective
You said the magic words......Throttle Cable. Your Supra had one, the Z doesn't.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Combat350z
Banned

Well the good news is they think its repairable. The entire rear suspension is messed up, they think the oil/transmission pan?? might need to be replaced and they are trying to see whats wrong with the engine compartment since it got pushed up and caused the strut bar to come off. Luckily he said he doesn't think it will end up being totalled.

Although if they do I'm probably going to look at an 05 S2000.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Doc25398

I stopped reading after the se4cond page, but I still wanted to put this out, since a few people may not have noticed. The Z has a safety feature which will not allow more than 25-30% throttle while the brakes are being applied, now dont get me wrong, in the snow its possible to loose the car with that much throttle in a heavy down poor or snow, but you said the road was bone dry. Also you said that the car was bouncing off the revlimiter. which is kind of wierd seeing as how you said your car was A/T so it would have shifted for itself. I dont know maybe your telling the truth, and I am sorry it happened to you, but im explaining to you why I find it a hard story to believe. If I am wrong I am sorry, and glad your okay.

Alex
Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Combat350z
Banned

It won't shift for itself when its in manumatic mode. It will only auto downshift
Old 11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
ouch1011

Originally Posted by tak
Thats BS. there is no way the throttle jammed AND the gear shift jammed AND he couldn't turn off the car. There is just no way.

As for the Z, that sucks, but I would say that is a one in a million sort of failure. The drive by wire system, realistically, is more safe I would say than a mechanical linkage. They have so many safeties built into that system... many systems use multiple sensors on both the pedal and the throttle itself, and if any 1 of those sensors fails, the PCM goes into a fail safe mode, and will either not open the throttle past a certain amount, or it will slam shut and not open at all. With a car with a mechanical linkage, all it takes is a dry or damaged cable, which is really easy to do.

In any case, this has happened to me before, not in a Z. Within a split second of realizing I had no control over the engine, the clutch was depressed and the engine was off.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Thats the problem its an AT. I was in manual mode so I couldn't immediately shift into N because you have to move it over.

I didn't ever think to turn it off because I didn't expect it not to behave like it always does when that happens. Take my foot off the gas and then slowly reapply the gas and keep going.

Either way she should be fixed by friday. Amazingly there wasn't any damage to the undercarriage.

I do know that I have had two incidents where my slip and tcs light would come on randomly and it would start to act wierd. Usually when for some reason I've had several problems with the MAF recently.

If it was solely driver error so be it I'll take responsibility for it but I still think that something else had to have helped this happen. I just don't see how I've been able to control a complete loss of control in the rain and not panic and then suddenly just lose it on drive pavement taking off from a light
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Doc25398

I guess just chalk it up to experiance and be safe out there.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Yea. Never had it happen before and hopefully won't happen again.

i'm actually considering getting an 05 S2K. I'm tired of having an auto but am not about to get a used MT Z so basically the only other choice would be an S2K. Plus I like them and they have supposedly the best gear box and far fewer problems than MT Z's.

not sure yet
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Jenn350Z

Even though you're a Stars fan I'm glad you weren't in a serious accident!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Jenn350Z

Originally Posted by Combat350z
Yea. Never had it happen before and hopefully won't happen again.

i'm actually considering getting an 05 S2K. I'm tired of having an auto but am not about to get a used MT Z so basically the only other choice would be an S2K. Plus I like them and they have supposedly the best gear box and far fewer problems than MT Z's.

not sure yet

and then say good-bye to torque
Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
and then say good-bye to torque
But say hello to 8200 rev limit, rarity, and a car that will make you want to take a ride wit me shawty
Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Combat350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Jenn350Z
Even though you're a Stars fan I'm glad you weren't in a serious accident!

Awww thanks so much dear. I feel so much better
Old 11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SargentZ
You sure you're foot didn't get stuck and not the pedal? That's happened to me before. Created a wedge and caused the gas pedal to stay depressed until I yanked it free.
SOunds like you paniced. First rule of any out of control throttle situation is to disengage the tranny, although not the first thing ones thinks of in a panic situation. Lesson learned. I learned it along time ago on a dirtbike(CR250). I had my throttle cable stick and I was going so frickin fast and out of control, thought I would surely die, but finally realized. "Pull in the clutch" saved me from launching into a creek at full throttle!
So what about us AT owners who don't have clutches?

Quick Reply: Wow so the Z had a bad night yesterday