Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SKY REDLINE is in, or should I just keep my 350z ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 AM
kmag52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
My YARIS is in, or should I just keep my 350z ????
Go with the Yaris....it is stylish...haha.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 AM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by scottone928
I just got the call yesterday. I ordered a graphite sky redline about 7 months ago, it is fully loaded with the red and black leather. It also has the 6 disk monsoon sound system, onstar, xm and chrome rims. But strangely I am having a hard time getting rid of my z. I want to let it go, but I love my z aswell. I am on the fence with this. I know this is only the second redline in Jacksonville, Florida. What to do !! What to do !!
def keep the z! i think telling someone u drive a z is far better then telling them u drive a saturn!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:43 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by scottone928
I just got the call yesterday. I ordered a graphite sky redline about 7 months ago, it is fully loaded with the red and black leather. It also has the 6 disk monsoon sound system, onstar, xm and chrome rims. But strangely I am having a hard time getting rid of my z. I want to let it go, but I love my z aswell. I am on the fence with this. I know this is only the second redline in Jacksonville, Florida. What to do !! What to do !!
The only way you can roll with the SKY is to have your mallet with you...

http://www.mallettcars.com/sky-conversion.htm
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 AM
ZESUS-C

your asking if you should drive a Saturn??? <<<<<<<just think about that, who cares if its a perf model,, its gm, and its a saturn for god sakes,,, downgrade from a Z def
Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Snake_bite

Default Do it, get the Sky RL.

Those who down the Sky Red Line speak out of ignorance and being a homer to the rising sun. Take the Sky and lose the Z, if for no other reason than you will not lose any performance and you will be unique rolling down the road. Look at how the regular Solstice/Sky is tearing it up in SCCA and then you add 90 more Hp with the turbo version? If you don't like your decision after a while, you can find a buyer for the Sky Red Line in a heartbeat and go out and get a dime a dozen 350Z at most used car lots.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
The only way you can roll with the SKY is to have your mallet with you...

http://www.mallettcars.com/sky-conversion.htm

or wait for the 07 model....per edmunds.com/insideline

"with the 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP, which will receive a huge jump in power courtesy of a turbocharged version of GM's 2.0-liter Ecotec engine.

Power numbers aren't yet finalized but the estimates look promising. According to Pontiac, the GXP will make as much as 260 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque — a considerable increase from the 177 hp and 166 lb-ft the 2.4-liter Ecotec makes in the current roadster. The new engine bristles with technology not yet seen in combination in a North American GM product. It uses direct injection, dual-cam phasing and a twin-scroll turbocharger to make up to 130 hp per liter.

Solstice GXP will be available with both a five-speed manual and five-speed automatic transmission. GM claims the GXP is capable of sub-5.5-second 0-to-60-mph sprints with either transmission.

Visually, the GXP is only marginally different than the standard Solstice. Darkened foglight surrounds, an extra air inlet below the twin grilles, a small rear spoiler and dual exhaust distinguish the boosted car. Eighteen-inch wheels are fitted with 245/45 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires.

Turbocharged Solstices are expected to sticker for $4,000 to $5,000 above the standard car's $20,490 base price and should be on sale this summer"
Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Snake_bite
Those who down the Sky Red Line speak out of ignorance and being a homer to the rising sun. Take the Sky and lose the Z, if for no other reason than you will not lose any performance and you will be unique rolling down the road. Look at how the regular Solstice/Sky is tearing it up in SCCA and then you add 90 more Hp with the turbo version? If you don't like your decision after a while, you can find a buyer for the Sky Red Line in a heartbeat and go out and get a dime a dozen 350Z at most used car lots.

Unique in a bad way. These Skys and solstices are what you would call trendy, disposable GM cars. Kind of like the POS Razor phone I have right now. SKy will be dime a dozen in a couple of years. Literally you will be able to get one for 10K bucks. I believe you will lose much more in depreciation on the SKY and let's face it, while It's kind of cool looking it will get boring quick. Z is timeless. Z is a peice of history. Sky is a disposable Saturn.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM
3kgt48

+1 that Z is part of a history, but you should also be open minded and accept cars that are good bang for the buck! I personally hate the saturn skys and I think its nothing but a marketting game but to each his own! if you do your research, sky is a bargain in today's market. So if you can live with a saturn badge then HAVE fun
Old 11-19-2006, 01:30 PM
HighwaySpeed

Talking

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
The only way you can roll with the SKY is to have a mullet...
+1

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...b__200x299.jpg
Old 11-19-2006, 04:32 PM
03performz

You guys don't seem like car guys. All I've heard is about price, roominess, manufacturer, rarity....how the hell does it drive?!? It seems to have a platform that would handle well..so does it? 228whp is close to a stock Z...so, 0-60?.. 1/4 time? What about tweaking the turbo?...bolt-ons?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
FAIRLADYZBABE

Originally Posted by zownz
its a gm car...nuff said
I agree
Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 PM
horse110

The first time I saw it on the road I thought it was some type of super car...I tihnk it looks really nice.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:12 AM
MasterRacer

I have gotten into one of these things as of course the old lady was liking the style over her current 06 Civic! I got in the Solstice and turned the key and ummmmmm it was not impressive sounding AT ALL, laying down the hammer on the gas was ehhh at best. IMO the interior is dull/iffy at best, the kicker is when you look at the price tag and get the line from the dealer that "O most of them come equipped like this and have almost same price of 28Gs." So to all you out there who think that this is well priced car, your WRONG. Check out the link on the forums here and Road & Track tested both the Solstice AND Z!!!!!!!! TOP 12 UNDER 30.................Guess who won????
Old 11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
50 Freak

I actually was in the market for the SKY before I bought the Z.

I went to test drive the SKY....pretty **** poor performance...that was fine as figured I'd wait for the Redline. But wanted to see how it handled anyways. As we were driving the hood was rattling/shaking from the wind. I pulled the car over and told the dealer I thought the hood was not closed properly. He said, nope.."that's normal" .

Cornering was blah blah...nothing too remarkable. interior was okay for a roadster. Engine sucked (if you must get a SKY, make sure it's the Redline). Other than looks nothing too impressive.

I checked out the trunk and there is maybe enough room for a golf bag and that is it. I know it's a sports car, but what if I want to go somewhere for the weekend with the wife. We'll need to carry a few overnight bags...Not with the SKY, unless you want to put it on your lap.

I hated the SKY and the BS 25% markup "market adjustment" that the Saturn dealers wanted .....so much for a no haggling experience.

I saw a Nissan dealership across the street and decided to check what they had before hitting the Ford dealership down the street....The rest is history.

The SKY is good looking...but that is about it....It's more of a "chick car" as a Z is more sophisticated.

YMMV

Last edited by 50 Freak; 11-20-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:37 PM
50 Freak

DUDE DENT RESISTANT DOOR SSSSSSSSO AWESOME.lol
I thought so too. Thought it would be like the other Saturns with the the plastic side panels that were color moded and dent resistant.

Not so with the Sky and Solstices. Their body panels are metal like the Z. So watch for door dings.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
dedmoonstears

Default bad lights

-maybe just cause the person i talked to in the dealership in frsno was foreign and couldnt speak straight eng or they all just dont know what HID is but when i went and asked if it comes with hid they had no idea what i was talking about...anyway i looked at the models and didnt find any with hid equiped....so im assuming the sky and sol dont get hid from oem
Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took the non turbo version for a drive today.

The SKY is a DOG.

No guts at all. At best, its meant to be a looker/cute car for women or an older croud.
The rear disk brakes aren't even vented. Wouldn't last long on the track at all.

Nope. Not for me.

The transmission shifted nicely but that was the only thing that caught my attention.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:31 PM
sidewayz2

I own both the 06 350z and the 07 pontiac gxp. The cars are of 2 different worlds. The interior of the Z is lightyears ahead of the gxp. The gxp handles very good and is much smoother on ride characterisics. The Z feels very stable on the top end and has more grunt off the line . I really like the turbo on the gxp because it really kicks up the 4 cyl compared to the regular solstice. The handling is improved as well. Both cars look awesome and if I had to say something negative about both it would be....The Z really needs more power. Although it has 300 hp it feels heavy. This could be countered by more power. The gxp needs a better interior. The seats are not so comfortable after a little while in the car. Also there is no trunk. I mean it can be a hassle to go places because you have to limit what you get while your in the car. And finally when the car is cold the engine ticks alot and it kinda sounds like a tractor.Of course this changes when you step on the gas. I think overall if this is not your everyday car it will be a great purchase. So...the winner is the 350z it is a much more refined car. The overall performance and daily drivability with a trunk area( you can go to the grocery in the Z and actually buy stuff) make it the better choice
Old 11-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Dmorrisjr350z

personally i would keep your Z.. but that is becuase i just got one...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

So what did you end up picking up?

Quick Reply: My SKY REDLINE is in, or should I just keep my 350z ??