2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Project Double Down - The Reversal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:47 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skidmarq - Thanks!

Hella - I spray painted them flat black in a box in my backyard lol.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't unstrip the z... just turbo the g.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by hndumafia
don't unstrip the z... just turbo the g.
The G is 5AT
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - good luck with your build-down.

Get a real license plate while you're at it.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 AM
BeyJer

sad to see it gain some weight, but yes streetability is a plus

as far as headunit goes, i just put in a pioneer avic-z1 and it's been really good so far. DVD, NAV, HD, and compatable with ipod/blue tooth...also has a motion bypass so you don't have to pull over to use the navi, or watch dvd's (definately don't recommend watching dvd's while you drive) for about 2k...w/mounting hardware/harness and stuff.

i was going to say the stock location up top for your gauges...up to you if you want to delete the oil pressure and battery meters though...

i'd definately do the stock exhaust...you're going to want some kind of exhaust, why not just stick w/the one you have and swap later? definately what i'd do

good luck and i'm sure i'll see you out on the track one of these days
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 AM
NVS_350Z

sweet Z! I love that kit. Why dont you just trade ur exhaust for another aftermarket one thats a bit milder. Stock exhaust is alright! I wouldnt use pillar gauge pods though... they attract cops all the time. I dont have my Z anymore so I cant jump in and look at the interior but if you dont need those stock gauges then stick some aftermarket ones in there.

Stickers/glowing lights and visible gauges < Cops
Old 11-21-2006, 06:16 AM
03BrickyardZ

Thats a shame, That is one sick ride. If you want to street it once in a while, get an iPod, a stock exhaust to pass smog, and throw the plates on it when you want to drive it to work. Then you have a true race car thats technically street legal.

Putting a radio in a race car is like having a girlfriend that lets you stick it in her pooper... yeah its awesome, you just can't respect her as much...
Old 11-21-2006, 08:04 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by taurran
Mike - good luck with your build-down.

Get a real license plate while you're at it.
For sure...
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by BeyJer
sad to see it gain some weight, but yes streetability is a plus

as far as headunit goes, i just put in a pioneer avic-z1 and it's been really good so far. DVD, NAV, HD, and compatable with ipod/blue tooth...also has a motion bypass so you don't have to pull over to use the navi, or watch dvd's (definately don't recommend watching dvd's while you drive) for about 2k...w/mounting hardware/harness and stuff.

i was going to say the stock location up top for your gauges...up to you if you want to delete the oil pressure and battery meters though...

i'd definately do the stock exhaust...you're going to want some kind of exhaust, why not just stick w/the one you have and swap later? definately what i'd do

good luck and i'm sure i'll see you out on the track one of these days
Yeah I was looking at those Pioneer units, just not sure I want to put that much money into the stereo since the rest of the system will be mediocore at best. Stock exhaust would only stay on for SMOG tests and then right back off.

Here in NV, they test the SMOG through an OBDII port, so they don't really use the sniffer. I am going to try and put new o2 sensors in it to see if that clears the CEL, if it doesn't trying the stock exhaust is my next bet. Once the CEL goes away, it should pass a NV SMOG test.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:10 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
Thats a shame, That is one sick ride. If you want to street it once in a while, get an iPod, a stock exhaust to pass smog, and throw the plates on it when you want to drive it to work. Then you have a true race car thats technically street legal.

Putting a radio in a race car is like having a girlfriend that lets you stick it in her pooper... yeah its awesome, you just can't respect her as much...

The truth behind it is, the interior of the Z really doesn't weigh that much, and I have enough power to back it up anyways. Actually, the car will probably be better with the interior back in because its a little light in the rear right now. Putting the interior back in will balance the car. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have gutted it since its minimal benifits are outweighed by its drawbacks in my case. Now, if I was trying to stay N/A that would be a different story since I would be looking for all of the help I can get, but in my application, to offset the little bit of extra weight, all I have to do is turn up the boost a little .
Old 11-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

good luck with the stockifying (somewhat)

i dunno. i'd leave it stripped. i mean. at least have something full tilt in one category rather than half-azz in two areas. i mean.. if its a track beast. keep it and just fix up your daily beater.. thats just my opinion...

well the stereo and the interior pieces should be too heavy. just turn up the boost more
Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by 350ZNV

The truth behind it is, the interior of the Z really doesn't weigh that much, and I have enough power to back it up anyways. Actually, the car will probably be better with the interior back in because its a little light in the rear right now. Putting the interior back in will balance the car. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have gutted it since its minimal benifits are outweighed by its drawbacks in my case. Now, if I was trying to stay N/A that would be a different story since I would be looking for all of the help I can get, but in my application, to offset the little bit of extra weight, all I have to do is turn up the boost a little .
True enough. Good luck with the (un)build. You're going to have one baaaaaaad street car.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Thanks guys!

I have had the car gutted and everything for a year now. Don't get me wrong, I love it the way it is for the track, but after a year of track only driving, I really miss driving it on the street. I mean, I can't even take anybody for a ride unless they come to a track event. It also frustrates me to have to load it up onto a trailer to drive 30 minutes to my local track. I would much rather just hop in and drive the Z there.

I would love to just get an M3 or Corvette or something to keep me happy on my daily commute, but I simply cannot afford it after getting raped on taxes this year . I like having a purpose built track car and all, but the reality of it is, Time Attacks are as close as I get to real racing, the majority of the events I do are just for fun anyways, so there really is no need to have a purpose built track car.