Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

is the Z safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 07:36 AM
rummya87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is the Z safe?

today i got in my first major accident ... well, not me, but i was riding. In jacksonville, theres this bridge called the buckman infamous for really bad accidents. well today while we were on it, there was an accident up ahead and everyone slowed down to help out and so we slowed down too, as we were, a lady in a minivan must have not seen us till the last second because as she was trying to slow down and get into the next lane she rearended us, at ....around 80 miles an hour, we were slowing so we were at 25-30, we were clipped and spun into the wall where the back end hit, and then skidded sideways until we stopped. at this time, a semi behind us slowed down and cut off traffic so we wouldnt get hit and directed traffic. everyone was ok besides neck sores scratches and bruises, but i was very shaken up as was my dad. in the end our car was totalled. but this got me to thinking, is the Z safe? what if we were in a Z what would have happened? what about a worse accident? would it hold? what if we had flipped? would the Z's roof hold? how much damage can the "steel reinforced" frame take before getting to the driver?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:50 AM
djkern
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they actually built the car to be very unsafe. anyone who gets in an accident usually ends up in the hospital with serious injurites. no...kidding aside....yes, the z is safe. there are many people on this forum that have had either fender bender or more serious accidents and have said that they felt safe in the car.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:01 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one that Ive heard of yet has died in a Z(knock on wood) so I guess that should speak for itself. people have gotten injuries, but nothing serious. they all walked away.

its not a little tinker toy, it has substance to it, so you wont be tossed around like a rag doll. however the front and rear are crumple zones, and the engines sposed to drop down. so yes, the car is not meant to hold up, but the passenger cabin is.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:35 AM
jetjammer

My Z was less than 24hrs old when I was rear ended on the freeway while I was at a complete stop. The little old lady was doing about 45mph & slammed on her brakes too late. The Z suffered minor damages, replaced the bumper area and the exhaust appeared tweaked. Looking at the bumper after the accident, you could barely tell that she had been hit, the bumber just popped right back out. Oh yeah, I was fine.

I believe the Z is safe, the rest is up to the driver (sometimes other drivers). There's alway the option of the additional airbags.

Z well...
Old 03-22-2003, 11:56 AM
rjsmit1

This thread shows some crash pics. One of the cars had the roof cave in on the passenger side. I don't know anything about the circumstances. At the end of the day, no car can protect you from every possibility. Here's the thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=wreck

If you want to see some real carnage, look at www.wreckedexotics.com.
and click on the link called "bad wrecks". Some of them are very hard to identify.