Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z in the Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:54 PM
dsh172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z in the Snow

I live in a western suburb of Chicago and have just experienced my first major snowfall ~7 inches with the Z. I couldn't even make it out of my neighborhood without getting stuck and spinning tire.

Does anybody have any tips about driving the Z in the snow? How about snow tires? Do they help?

The Z is my only mode of transportation right now so I plan on driving it throughout the winter.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dsh172
I live in a western suburb of Chicago and have just experienced my first major snowfall ~7 inches with the Z. I couldn't even make it out of my neighborhood without getting stuck and spinning tire.

Does anybody have any tips about driving the Z in the snow? How about snow tires? Do they help?

The Z is my only mode of transportation right now so I plan on driving it throughout the winter.
My crystal ball says you will be - your deductible in a few days!

Last edited by zand02max; 12-02-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:14 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by zand02max
My crystal ball says your will be - your deductible in a few days!

you tried to drive your Z in that weather on stock tires? you must have a death wish. Its not possible on stock tires, dont ever try that again, seriously you WILL get into an accident if you are able to make it onto the roads. Get some snow tires like Blizzaks LM25 or WS-50 or Dunlop wintersport M3's and youll be in good shape. The Z obviously doesnt have the ground clearance to go driving through huge snow piles or anything but the snow tires will allow you to drive the car pretty effectively in bad winter weather.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow tires will make it a much better and safer experience. Get a set!!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:49 PM
bamyi

There are tons of threads out there about winter storage, snow tires, and driving in snow. We get these threads every winter...go figure.

Originally Posted by bamyi
There are ways that you can still drive in snow with the Z without snow tires. I just wouldn't recommend it.

I was at work when CO's snow storm hit. I had Toyo T1R! Here's some of my rules that I've found helpful when driving the Z:

1. Start off in 2nd or 3rd gear with your VDC OFF. Once you get going you can turn it back on.

2. When braking or acclerating, be gentle on the pedal. Smoothness is control. Allow plently of room for braking.

3. Your Z can only handle one imput at a time. That means when coming into a corner, brake first, then turn, then acclerate out of the turn. Don't try to brake AND turn or turn AND acclerate at once. You will see your taillights in front of you if you do so.

3. Hills are your enemy. Try to preplan your route with the least hills, turns, and stops.

4. When entering a hill, try to keep a constant speed or gently deacclerate. If I'm entering a hill too fast, I let off the gas and let gravity do the breaking. I don't use my brakes. I've found it best to enter a hill just a little fast and keeping that speed. That momentume will push you over the hill. But if you slow down during the hill, you won't have traction to speed up again.

5. Drive in fear! Be two steps ahead of yourself and always think of the worst. What if that vehicle in front of me spins? What if that bridge has black ice? What if I start spinning now? I've learned that if you drive in a "Control Fear" your mind will force you into a state of "commons sense" vs "tombstone courage".

6. If you are spinning or are in trouble of some sort, remember to still be gentle on the brake or gas. If you start smashing pedals you will be in alot of trouble. Smoothness is control.

7. ALWAYS look at where you want to go. DON'T EVER look at what you are going to hit. Your body will naturaly steer to where ever you look. This takes practice and discipline but its the universal rule to all moving sports (skiing, biking, racing, boating etc.)

Drive safely every one, and remember to get those snow tires. They REALLY help.

You can also try to put extra weight in the trunk for tractions but remember that it will effect your suspension in the long run.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 350Z works with snow tires. Not fantastic but it works. The front of the Z is low so forget driving in 6 plus inches.

Last edited by davidv; 12-02-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Jyoder7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could put summer tires on a 4WD truck and it will be horrible in the snow. Snow tires and a careful right foot and you'll be fine in the Z as long as the snow isn't too deep.

It seems like everyone that comes on here complaining about how bad the Z is in the snow has summer-only tires on. What did you expect!?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
tattoo60012

Default I got an idea

here's a tip, Don't drive, barring that remember you are a liability on the road, and you don't belong. Your best bet: Call a cab, ask a friend for a ride, order take out food for delivery, wait for the plows to do their job, then go get your car.
Attached Thumbnails Z in the Snow-dscn1637.jpg