Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Which kind of people drive the Z in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 AM
bones srt-4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have only seen 5-6 in my area and they all had women driving them.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Totally mixed bag, every type of person, young, old, white, black. I will admit that the women I have seen driving have only been hot, no dogs or grandmas.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Dr. Knowitall

Default Inference

I think I can explain the original thread. This area of VA is the wealthiest tri-county area in the US currently. It is known as the Technological Gateway, a new millenium catch-phrase which is in comparison to "Silicon Valley". What this means is that there are going to be alot of young people at the early stages of thier careers. What do people do when they finally make it through college and then land a high paying job...? They purchase a new car.

Two seated vehicles, historically, have always been a demographical trend. For example, the current issue is, on average are 350Z owners young, wealthy, and Asian? The 350Z is no exception when it relates to other two seated cars in that, it is impractical overall. When looking at a group that is demographically in contrast to our "sample" we will find that those people probably have children. In this area I am amazed at the absence of children, but it makes sense. We are after all looking at young people who are at the start of thier career. So this means they do not need or want a family vehicle at this time in thier life.

Another variable is that these young people are not going to just get any car. Because they are new to the field in which they work, they are being compensated minimally, especially when considering the cost of living in this area. Two seated cars produced by manufacturers that also produce family cars hisorically are cheaper. No exception here, the 350Z is a steal in comparison to the remaining majority of Nissan's vehicles.

So what does all this mean? Absolutely nothing...because you drive a 350Z you are only noting trends of the 350Z; it is not a Simple Random Sample...it is selective. Being that the car is produced in Japan there probably is a trend there of drivers who are young, male, and Asian. And in SOCal the birth of import racing was intuitive. Young men off to school inherited the parent's car which had to be modified. If you could show statistically that Asian parents most often purchase imported cars then that would make sense. Also it is common knowledge that speed is a young man's game. But real speed is expensive which is why Ferrari doesn't waste thier time by marketing to young people. I would not be surprised about the earlier observation of 30-35 year old males driving Corvettes. That is the age where the insurance is actually feasable and these buyer have enough work history to afford it.

However, oddly enough, last week I watched a young, classy, Asian guy leave my Verizon building and climb into a trimmed out 350Z. So go figure!?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 AM
gringott

Originally Posted by bb1314
Not being a racist, but I've never seen one black woman driving the Z!
There is a black woman on the forums with a TT Z.

I have never seen an Asian driving a Z, although the forum seems to have Asians well represented. And I might add there are plenty of Asians around here, mostly Korean, Filipino, Chinese.

And G35's I have seen in Louisville area are almost 100% female.

Last edited by gringott; 12-19-2006 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 AM
HighwaySpeed

Talking

Originally Posted by Dr. Knowitall
So what does all this mean? Absolutely nothing.
LOL!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 AM
lxlHoTsAuSelxl

Only females and me O and the cool people.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP might want to go to a few NOVA meets before saying all the Z drivers he sees are "young rich asians". Every meet is a potential United Colors of Benetton Ad. I'd also like to know what the OP's definition of "rich" is.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
The OP might want to go to a few NOVA meets before saying all the Z drivers he sees are "young rich asians". Every meet is a potential United Colors of Benetton Ad. I'd also like to know what the OP's definition of "rich" is.
Wow, meets are attended by people wearing loud, overpriced clothing bought at the mall? BRILLIANT! [clinks Guinness Draft bottle with closest neighbor]

Rich = 100% of people who live in the DC metro area (at least according to the latest census) and anyone who attends a Z meet wearing Benetton

Attending a local NOVA meet = sorry, hanging with the proletariat is against my religion.

Last edited by GalvatronType_R; 12-19-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 AM
_Donovan_

Me= 23, white, pair of desert combat boots, jeans, a hoody, a shirt from tshirthell.com, and a army ballcap on. Haven't shaved in a while usually. Sometimes skip showers for the day. Drives around blasting old rock like Aerosmith, or theme from night at the rocksbury. Sometimes some country. Work for army and govmt.

Does that sound like the normal Z owner.

Anyways, I have seen a few Z's around but not many. And haven't gotten a look at the drivers.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:13 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Attending a local NOVA meet = sorry, hanging with the proletariat is against my religion.
looks like you've already inquired about our Mid-A meets ...

https://my350z.com/forum/mid-atlantic/222471-a-question-regarding-meets.html

here's a few pics of our Mid-A "Toys for Tots meet"

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 12-19-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:22 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
looks like you've already inquired about our Mid-A meets ...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222471

here's a few pics of our Mid-A "Toys for Tots meet"

Oh, noes, I've been discovered!

Okay, all right, somehow, I had to inquire or how else could I determine that meets were attended by the Benetton-wearing unwashed masses that my spiritual advisors warned me against?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Rackilla

currently unemployed, long haired, alcoholic, smokeaholic, jamaican male here.... did i thorow the curve off course yet ?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Rackilla

but i do live in a "rich" area, everyone round here got lexus, bimmers an benzes... and there is this white chick that lives a few houses down, seems to be 30-ish
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Rackilla

ooh yeh, she drives a Z too, i bad that i typing so many separate messages... this cognac got me twisted
Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Z_rican

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
I live in Northern VA, a pretty rich area which is awash in BMWs but only a few Zs here and there (thank goodness).

When I do notice other Z drivers, they tend to be younger (25-35), rich-looking (can't really tell for sure since I don't roll down the window and ask how much they make), Asian males. It's gotten to be dependable like middle aged white guys and their Corvettes, most of the time when I see another Z, it's usually driven by a young, rich, Asian man. The Z and the S2000 seem to be the rides du jour if you're Asian and make pretty decent money and live in Northern VA. Being an Asian man myself, I take some pride in this.

So who tends to drive Zs where you all are?
+1.

I'm 24, PR. Not even close to being rich.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Joe2

younger guys who work for microsoft. apparently around here the Z has been dubbed the microsoft boy car.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:08 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by Joe2
younger guys who work for microsoft. apparently around here the Z has been dubbed the microsoft boy car.
I thought everyone in Seattle works for Microsoft or Starbucks, the Starbucks people ride mopeds or bicycles, right?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
TSG-Z

In Hampton Roads VA, 757 the only people that drive import, let alone Z's are Filiapino's. Fayetteville, NC is a Army town so the only people that can afford them around here are the military guys and we come in all colors, lol.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM
ODB42

Hey I'm in N VA commute every morning on 395 into DC and I see different people driving Zs now. I'm a white haired old guy but I've seen women, young people, old guys like me. Surprisingly I don't think I've seen that many young Asian males.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Sleeper01

Originally Posted by bb1314
Not being a racist, but I've never seen one black woman driving the Z!
hehehe i saw one in NY on Rockaway Blvd driving a blue 350z Auto

Quick Reply: Which kind of people drive the Z in your area?