Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Panic Button used for Gas Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Luscious Luke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panic Button used for Gas Door

Not sure if this has been done or not, the search button found nothing on this topic, but has anyone seen or heard of people with 350's rewiring the control box inside the car that red panic button on your key FOB controls to actuate the elecronic solenoid for the gas door instead of honking your horn? I don't know about you guys, but with owning older vehicles that don't have electric gas door solenoids, I have become used to just getting out of my car to fill up with gas and not even thinking about hitting the button to pop open the gas door, then having to return to the car to hit the button. Just kind of a cool mod I thought about that would help forgetful people like myself.

And who really uses the panic button anyways. Anyone wanna help?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love using the panic button to scare the crap out of people who get a bit too nosey and close to the car when it is parked. it is rather hilarious to watch them jump
Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
daz311x

Originally Posted by Z04
i love using the panic button to scare the crap out of people who get a bit too nosey and close to the car when it is parked. it is rather hilarious to watch them jump
in for the vid
Old 01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
Not sure if this has been done or not, the search button found nothing on this topic, but has anyone seen or heard of people with 350's rewiring the control box inside the car that red panic button on your key FOB controls to actuate the elecronic solenoid for the gas door instead of honking your horn? I don't know about you guys, but with owning older vehicles that don't have electric gas door solenoids, I have become used to just getting out of my car to fill up with gas and not even thinking about hitting the button to pop open the gas door, then having to return to the car to hit the button. Just kind of a cool mod I thought about that would help forgetful people like myself.

And who really uses the panic button anyways. Anyone wanna help?

Hey, that's a great idea. I'd love to be able to do that.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:56 AM
usmanasif

But the thing is, how many people take the keys out of the car everytime they stop to fill up? Most people don't (I've never noticed any) since they pay at the pump anyway. In that case, you will have to retreat to the cabin anyway to push the fob; might as well hit the gas door button then!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
deezz

Originally Posted by Z04
Somebody is gonna kick the **** out of your car one day if you keep doing that to people.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
deezz

Originally Posted by usmanasif
But the thing is, how many people take the keys out of the car everytime they stop to fill up? Most people don't (I've never noticed any) since they pay at the pump anyway. In that case, you will have to retreat to the cabin anyway to push the fob; might as well hit the gas door button then!
I always pay cash for my gas, so I have to lock up the car while I pay, so this would be useful to me. I also can't count how many times I've forgotten to pop the gas tank the first time I get out of the car and have to open the car back up and pop the tank.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
2005daytonaZ

I think its rather funny myself seeing people jump....My dad did it one day when there were a bunch of people around his charger...It was priceless.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
THE TECH

Cool idea, but like was mentioned above, no real use.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Luscious Luke

I take my keys out every time, its just habbit, so this mod would be useful for myself and many others who take theirs keys with them.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 PM
deezz

Originally Posted by 2005daytonaZ
I think its rather funny myself seeing people jump....My dad did it one day when there were a bunch of people around his charger...It was priceless.
Yeah...I think it's funny too, but just be prepared for someone to not find the humor in it and take it out on your car.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM
orions empire

Yes, I take my keys out too, I would like to know how to rewire the panic button too.

I'm in, subscribiiiiing!!!

OE
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM
FleckDZ

i definitely take my keys with me everytime. i hate reaching down to pop the cap. someone i'm sure can figure this out.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

People from New Jersey dont have to get out of the car at all since you aren't allowed to pump your own gas, lucky SOB's. But for the rest of us I'm sure it could be done, especially with an aftermarket alarm w/ auxilary features on the fob.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
JCZ33

I have an 05' Touring, and this is what I noticed...

With the doors shut...

Turn off the ignition, and the map lights come on...

wait for them to go off, then hit the unlock button with the door shut and the map lights come back on.

I'd like to wire the windows ro go back up while parked in addition to going down.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by deezz
Somebody is gonna kick the **** out of your car one day if you keep doing that to people.
+111111
Old 01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Cannysage

yes you can program it to do so. I have a viper alarm with 4 buttons. I specifically asked around what I can program and what I cannot. you can open the gas tank door, rolldown AND up both windows, open the trunk and couple of things I can remember off hand. I was going to install Neon undercar light kit (don't laugh!) because you can push the panic button and it'll flash when the alarm goes off (also when you arm and disarm it). buttons can have multip-combo programming.. meaning double click, button a+b etc..
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
shushikiary

I dont know enough about the internals of the ECU/security system to really tell or not, but I dont think this would be very easy to do. If it's a seperate unit from the ECU, I bet there is a code that the microcontroller in the security system recieves from the key transmitter, and then it enters a state that causes it to activate the horn, etc and I doubt it's just a pin that goes high or something. So it would either require a reflash of that unit (or the ECU if it's embeded in the ECU), if you can even do that (if it's a separate unit). You could disconnect it from controlling the lights, horn, etc and have it pop the fuel door, but then it wouldnt do anything when the alarm went off...

It wouldnt be too hard to make it open the fuel door when the panic button is hit, if you just looked for the horn/headlights, etc to go on off as the panic button is pressed... of course then the car makes alot of noise just for you to open the fuel door. You could put (alot of work to do this) a unit that would detect the panic button pressed, and if it is, shut off the horn/lights, etc so that you dont get the panic reaction, even though the security system is trying to make it happen, and instead opens the fuel door... and then re-enables all those things after like 30 seconds so the alarm can go off if it needs to, and you can use them, etc.

It would be alot of work I think..... of course that is just my electrical engineering "sense" going off before I've looked into it too much. Something like the Viper unit said above, yes it's easy, because they designed it to be variable... I dont know enough about the actual security system that comes stock on the Z to know if it would be that easy or not... NEED MORE DATA... lol
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by Cannysage
yes you can program it to do so. I have a viper alarm with 4 buttons. I specifically asked around what I can program and what I cannot. you can open the gas tank door, rolldown AND up both windows, open the trunk and couple of things I can remember off hand. I was going to install Neon undercar light kit (don't laugh!) because you can push the panic button and it'll flash when the alarm goes off (also when you arm and disarm it). buttons can have multip-combo programming.. meaning double click, button a+b etc..
I am sure this is all possible with an aftermarket alarm like you said, but for folks like myself who don't want to spend the extra money on an aftermarket unit like that and would rather just firgure out the wiring of the stock system, to make it do what I want, it would seem to be much more cost effective.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by shushikiary
I dont know enough about the internals of the ECU/security system to really tell or not, but I dont think this would be very easy to do. If it's a seperate unit from the ECU, I bet there is a code that the microcontroller in the security system recieves from the key transmitter, and then it enters a state that causes it to activate the horn, etc and I doubt it's just a pin that goes high or something. So it would either require a reflash of that unit (or the ECU if it's embeded in the ECU), if you can even do that (if it's a separate unit). You could disconnect it from controlling the lights, horn, etc and have it pop the fuel door, but then it wouldnt do anything when the alarm went off...

It wouldnt be too hard to make it open the fuel door when the panic button is hit, if you just looked for the horn/headlights, etc to go on off as the panic button is pressed... of course then the car makes alot of noise just for you to open the fuel door. You could put (alot of work to do this) a unit that would detect the panic button pressed, and if it is, shut off the horn/lights, etc so that you dont get the panic reaction, even though the security system is trying to make it happen, and instead opens the fuel door... and then re-enables all those things after like 30 seconds so the alarm can go off if it needs to, and you can use them, etc.

It would be alot of work I think..... of course that is just my electrical engineering "sense" going off before I've looked into it too much. Something like the Viper unit said above, yes it's easy, because they designed it to be variable... I dont know enough about the actual security system that comes stock on the Z to know if it would be that easy or not... NEED MORE DATA... lol
Good insite man, I think someone may have a new product idea to run with for us 350Z guys. Anyone wanna take a stab at a plug and play unit like this? Possibly a piggyback box to plug inline? It seems to be an easy idea, just very labor intensive for the electronic build.

Quick Reply: Panic Button used for Gas Door