Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

6MT grinds when cold in 1-2 upshift

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Barmats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6MT grinds when cold in 1-2 upshift

I have an 06 ZR with 3500 miles that has a tendency to grind during the 1-2 upshift when cold (mid 30s or colder). The colder it is, the worse it is. It ranges from a slight "nick" feel in warmer (but still cold) temps to a real grind when it's really cold. As soon as the engine is warmed up, it's fine. The dealer says this is normal. But he also said the AT is worse, and grinds even more during the 1-2 upshift when cold...??? When he said that, I figured he didn't have a clue so I stopped asking questions.

If I don't have a chance to warm it up a bit before taking off, I do the 1-2 upshift very slowly, and very gently. Or just start off in 2nd until it's warm. The only other vehicle I had that did this was a 93 Pathfinder, also a Nissan product. No other vehicle with MT that I've ever owned has done this in cold weather.

I did a forum search but didn't find any similar posts. It's going in for service soon and I'll have it looked at.

Anybody else experience this?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 1 - 2 shift use to grind when it had lower miles, it went away after awhile, haven't heard it since, and I'm only at 6k now.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:47 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by Barmats
he also said the AT is worse, and grinds even more during the 1-2 upshift when cold...???
LOL! That guy is clueless. 0 problems with my '06 5AT. Most problems involve the '03-'06 6MT.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 06 does that too? woohoo.. I'm feeling better about my 03! :-)
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Beer Goggles

Lots of cars will be harder to shift in the cold. If it's 30 outside the metal on the car is probably 10-degrees colder. Sounds like you're not letting the tranny heat up, as the syncros will be slowed by the colder fluid.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:14 PM
TimeAttkZ

I have this problem as well. Only today is when I really noticed it. Its very cold in So Cal believe it or not( Well 40 degrees is very cold to me ). This morning when I started my car my shifter was literally locked into nuetral ... it went to get my dad to show him my tranny problem and by the time i went back outside to get in my car it was fine. I believe that the unusual cold wether caused that.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
modzs

It's probably because its a new clutch. Wait until you break it in some.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM
ke0ki2k

yeah i have an 06, it feels like it really drops into 2nd gear...stock clutch is just kinda feeble...replace it whenever & get a light flywheel...they make flywheels half the weight of the stock one
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
drumminguy81

mine does the exact same thing it is an 03 the tranny has been replaced once and only has about 17k miles on it now.. but it is definatly something i have noticed since it got cold i have actually been thinking about taking it to the dealer and asking about it.. i think next oil change i will..
Old 01-14-2007, 09:45 PM
jordanj77

Mine doesn't exactly "grind" but the 1-2 shift is definitely difficult. Certainly hurts my 0-60 time. 06 with 6000 miles.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:02 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When the car sits overnight, and the temperature is below freezing, the transmission fluid is like molasses. As you mentioned, once the transmission warms, shifting is fine.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Krux

Simple fix is to let your cars warm up guys Jesus, you all know Nissan is going to give you the run around on the issue your just wasting time and air trying to talk with them about it.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I found in most all the MT cars I have owned that 1-2 in a little stiffer to shift when cold. Try putting the car in neutral and letting the clutch out for 30 secs before you take off when it's under 40 degress outside. What happens when you do this is the gears inside spin, warms the gear oil and splashes the gear oil over those syncros to make it a bit easier to shift.

What I do is:

1) Start the car
2) Put the car in neutral and let the clutch out
3) Set the parking brake
4) Stow my computer or whatever else I'm taking in the trunk
5) Take my time putting on my seat belt
6) Check all my mirrors
7) Set the radio station or CD that I want
8) Put away my cell phone
9) Take off

I know this seems to be a waste of time but it sure does help everything get lubed up nicely before before you take off.

You could also try to just go really slow and easy until your oil warms up.

Lastly, I notice if you do drive when cold if you give it just a little gas (100-300rpms bump ~1000rpms) between the shift it goes in smoothly as well. This confirms to me that the syncros are a little sticky when cold with stiff gear oil.

Other things you can do .... take out a quart of oil and replace it with Automatic transmission fluid or, use Lucus gear additive. That has helps some.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 01-14-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 PM
hidehide

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
I have this problem as well. Only today is when I really noticed it. Its very cold in So Cal believe it or not( Well 40 degrees is very cold to me ). This morning when I started my car my shifter was literally locked into nuetral ... it went to get my dad to show him my tranny problem and by the time i went back outside to get in my car it was fine. I believe that the unusual cold wether caused that.
I have the problem of getting into 1st or 2nd gear from neutral when my car isnt warmed up, especially in cold weather.. Its 31F in LA last night
Old 01-14-2007, 11:06 PM
hidehide

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I found in most all the MT cars I have owned that 1-2 in a little stiffer to shift when cold. Try putting the car in neutral and letting the clutch out for 30 secs before you take off when it's under 40 degress outside. What happens when you do this is the gears inside spin, warms the gear oil and splashes the gear oil over those syncros to make it a bit easier to shift.

What I do is:

1) Start the car
3) Set the parking brake
6) Check all my mirrors
9) Take off

I know this seems to be a waste of time but it sure does help everything get lubed up nicely before before you take off.

Lastly, I notice if you do drive when cold if you give it just a little gas (100-300rpms) between the shift it goes in smoothly as well. That confirms to me that it is just that the syncros are a little sticky when cold with stiff gear oil.

Other things you can do .... take out a quart of oil and replace it with Automatic transmission fluid or, use Lucus gear additive. That has helps some.
Well, it helps a little bit for idling the car to wait it warm up.. Its better to take it slowly at first. And wait all the component to warm up when your car is running slowly. Because idling the car, just the engine get warmed up, other parts arent...
I usually rev the engine up about 1000rpm before I put it to 1st or 2nd gear..
Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
boomer gt

My 06 did it to. I found that a little higher rpm helped the shifting, but 1 to 2 really is a bit rough. Above 4000 helps some.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
imseksy

Originally Posted by Z_Driver

What I do is:

1) Start the car
3) Set the parking brake
6) Check all my mirrors
9) Take off

Lastly, I notice if you do drive when cold if you give it just a little gas (100-300rpms bump ~1000rpms) between the shift it goes in smoothly as well. This confirms to me that the syncros are a little sticky when cold with stiff gear oil.

when u do those steps, how much time elapses from the time u start ur car to the time u take off?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
shushikiary

I recently had my transmission replaced, have about 3000 miles on it, changed the oil in it out to motul 300 75w90 at 1000 miles, and it does that when it's cold too, and it's a 009 transmission (same as the 06's). Mine takes about 5 minets to warm up before it wont do it. I hope it goes away like the other person aboves did... though it's doesnt really "grind" like I missed a gear, it just goes into gear and kinda makes a sound like the 2 gears had a ruff meeting and missed 1 or 2 teeth.... Of course it also got a new clutch in it, cuz you get a new one with the 1st transmission replacement for some reason (if done under warrenty by a dealer). So dont feel alone in this.... first tranny was replaced for actual grinding/refusing to into 6th gear.

I will say that replacing the tranny oil did reduce the harshness of the "grind" in 2nd gear when it's cold and made all the shifts feel better, even in the cold.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Barmats

I've gotten used to giving it a few minutes to warm up when cold. I just don't want to face potential tranny issues down the road because the grinding stripped the hardening off of the gear faces. It sounds like it is indeed "normal".
Old 01-16-2007, 07:59 AM
sniper26

i actually had that problem at one time but i believe it was shifting to fast and not pressing the clutch in all the way thats normally what causes the grinding.

Quick Reply: 6MT grinds when cold in 1-2 upshift