Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Traded my Z today....For a.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 11:26 AM
POWERZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by droidekaus
My favorite thing to do with every fratboy ******** or midget soccermom in an SUV is to lead them into hard sweepers and watch the spectacle in my rearview as they nearly roll their lumbering pieces of **** trying to match my speed.
I think that quote should be in your sig!

Don't know if my Jeep puts me in with the SUV crowd, but I bought it for the 'fun to drive' factor. Impractical, loud, rough ride, bad gas milage - just like my Z. But I love them both!
Old 04-01-2003, 02:08 PM
zeroday

if this isn't one big stupid april fools joke...

ironic that this is april fools day and you made a really foolish swap...I had a 99 chevy tahoe sport 2dr (new) and within 2 months of ownership the paint started peeling from the car. GM wouldn't repaint the entire vehicle, only spot paint the peeling areas leaving craters continually peeling paint on my 'new' truck. Anyway one year and one good lawyer later I got my money back from those GM SOB's.

I'm sorry but the avalanche is the most hideous land yacht I have ever seen....it has more body cladding than a thanksgiving day parade float.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:50 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by kaiser23
SUV's safe? Where'd you hear this? Most SUV's rate WELL lower than your average car in crash tests. SUV's are notorious for doing poorly in crash tests. Though it is getting better.
Would you and your family rather be in a Suburban or a Toyota Echo in a head on?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:56 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by ares
they are nice driving cars cause they have independent suspensions, dont mistake that with an ACTUALY SUV. trucks do not have independent suspension, well they do if your never taking it off the pavement. in which case why not get a car that can do its best performance ON THE PAVEMENT, which I think a sports car would be.

I had a dodge ram for 3 years, slap me and call me sally if they ride halfway as nice as the Z, and the Z is a long way off from a regular sedan ride. they also have little power(I had a 5.9liter with 245hp and 300+torque) and I got 10mpg on a good day, no Im not even joking, filled up the tank once a week with 20gallon(26gallon tank) and I would be high if I drove 200miles a week.

anyway, thats all I have to say about SUVs, they are a waste of space.
A Ram is a pickup. I said SUV. A light, unloaded pickup rear end is going to bounce and ride rough.

I'm talking about truck SUVs, of which I've driven my fair share of. I've put a few miles in Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, Blazers, Jimmies, Explorers, etc for years. On road ride is pretty good in a lot of those vehicles. My sister, for instance, has a Bravada and loves the way it rides and drives with its full time AWD.

You say SUVs are a waste of space, I can easily say the Z is impracticle in the opposite way.

This "hate SUV" thing that has started in the last few years is laughable. Let people enjoy driving what they like. It isn't really your business.

As for the "bad drivers in SUV" discussion...are you guys implying if these people suddenly switched to minivans or cars, that they'd become an excellent driver (like Rainman ). That just isn't rational.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:06 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, the dakota is a pickup, and shares its chassis with the dakota, as does the tahoe and the chevy pickup.

I fail to follow your opposite bit, I do not need room, so how is it impracticle, I have more space than I need. if I needed more Id get a sedan. if I needed more than that, Id get a pack of condoms.

as for safety, thats where Ill flip. they are really neither. in crash tests, it is typicly a car rolling towards an obstruction that will not "give" except slightly. thus the SUV litterally crushes itself under its own massive weight, look at SUV crashes, they buckle, and if they flip they cave. but in the real world, the object they hit will give, if it was a miate, they would toss it out of the way. but if you hit a light pole, or a wall, bye bye.

by the way, the avalance is a half pickup type thing right? I do have the right car dont I? so what is its benifit, its large, poor mileage, has not much more space than a coupe, and doesnt have much more trunk than a sedan. its not like it can even carry 8 people like some SUVs or haul a sheet of plywood as a pickup could.

and as for april fools, if it is, I think it was a day early.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:21 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

The Z is impractical in that you have a small car with more engine than it needs, burning more gas than it needs, and not able to haul more people to share that gas if you need to.

As for the pickup chassis, I don't think you are following well. A pickup is made to haul X lbs of weight in the back, and uses springs to carry that weight. When you drive around in an unloaded pickup, you are basically in an oversprung state, which creates a bad ride. If you get some weight in the back, they generally ride significantly better, since that is what the springs are designed to handle.

An SUV is not oversprung by near as much, since they don't generally carry 3,000 lbs of people even when full like a truck can carry in a bed.

If you think you would be safer running into another, say, unibody vehicle in a small car than you would in a full steel framed truck designed to haul large loads...well, I just can't explain the obvious logic. Am I saying every truck is much safer in every impact? No, but I'm saying if two vehicles collide, the more substantial vehicle is generally going to win. Pure physics.

Are you honestly telling me you would rather be in a Toyota Echo in a head on crash with a Suburban?
Old 04-01-2003, 03:25 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

by the way, the avalance is a half pickup type thing right? I do have the right car dont I? so what is its benifit, its large, poor mileage, has not much more space than a coupe, and doesnt have much more trunk than a sedan. its not like it can even carry 8 people like some SUVs or haul a sheet of plywood as a pickup could.
You aren't very familiar with them apparently.

It seats 5 (or 6 maybe in some configs). It is based off the Surburban chassis (not the pickup). With the hatch folded down, you can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood flat in the bed. It has large towing capacity. It is a 4x4 for bad weather, off road driving, or pulling a boat off a slippery boat ramp, etc.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<SUV rant>

99% of SUV owners are the WORST drivers in the country. They have ZERO spatial sense, don't pay one bit of attention to the discipline of driving and have no regard for any other vehicle that HAS TO share the road with them. My favorite thing to do with every fratboy ******** or midget soccermom in an SUV is to lead them into hard sweepers and watch the spectacle in my rearview as they nearly roll their lumbering pieces of **** trying to match my speed.

I recently had the pleasure of witnessing one ******** slam his Escalade with 20s into the median as he tried to take off when he saw me coming up behind.

</SUV rant>
Nice rant.

I would imagine '********' has probably been uttered in your direction based on your driving habits.

Enjoy the ride....and when you can't...calm down!
Old 04-01-2003, 06:25 PM
jplvr

This has to be a joke.

I was excited about the Avalanche BEFORE I saw one. WTF was Chevy thinking? I can't people actually buy that thing. Oh well, to each there own. Caddy's EXT (XLT... I always forget) is pretty nice though.

I'm not an SUV hater either. I'd like to have a Landcruiser, Escalade, etc. in the drive-way. I've got a Wrangler as well and the Z will be in the driveway tomorrow.

A bit off topic: Would someone please shoot the person/people involved with the thought process that brought us the Jeep Liberty. I can't stand the fact that this thing carries the Jeep name. Recently my Honda was in the shop again for tranny work, and I was offered this car as a rental. I explained to the guy that if I drove this car (that's really what it is... framewise), I would take the insurance and put it in the Mississippi river on my way back from Mardis Gras. He hooked me up with a different vehicle.

That's all.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Z_Pride

I think SUV's blow and are larger than they need to be. Thats my opinion, as well as others. Great if you love SUV's, I love my smaller and agile Z, but you SUV lovers seem to think b*tching and getting all pissy as us is going to change our minds and have some sort of revelation on the SUV rant? Is this a joke?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:11 PM
superman78

Nope, not an April fools joke! My Z was in the shop with major suspension work at 300 miles! One of the two retaiing bolts that hold the entire upper assembly together snapped in two! What did they replace it with? Parts from the Altima! Oh well no big deal thats why the Z is so affordable right?
Well guess what happened after another 600 miles...yep, snapped again.

Secondly, in the town I live in you don't have the oppurtunity to really "enjoy" the Z. So I decided to go buy a ski boat to really enjoy going fast. Naturally I couldn't pull it with the Z so what better all-around versatile vehicle than the Avalanche?

Again, I have enjoyed mileage at 17 on regular of course, while the Z using premium would get 1 MPG better at best! HMMM...what a gas hog?
Old 04-01-2003, 07:29 PM
lemans

Cool

ok, the dakota is a pickup, and shares its chassis with the dakota, as does the tahoe and the chevy pickup.

I fail to follow your opposite bit, I do not need room, so how is it impracticle, I have more space than I need. if I needed more Id get a sedan. if I needed more than that, Id get a pack of condoms.

as for safety, thats where Ill flip. they are really neither. in crash tests, it is typicly a car rolling towards an obstruction that will not "give" except slightly. thus the SUV litterally crushes itself under its own massive weight, look at SUV crashes, they buckle, and if they flip they cave. but in the real world, the object they hit will give, if it was a miate, they would toss it out of the way. but if you hit a light pole, or a wall, bye bye.

and as for april fools, if it is, I think it was a day early.
I have driven a 2 seater for over 30 years a my daily driver. Have not needed any more room or seats. Hardly impractical for me. But if you carry around family friends etc. hardly makes sense to buy sports car(2 seater) in first place. but for those who do not need backs seats, no kids and don't haul things around it works fine. If you need to haul somehting once every year or two, rent a uhaul. damn sure ain't going to by a daily car for once ayear needs. just my opinion. think this thread is about april fools though.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:32 PM
slaponte

Superman, you just keep adding fuel to the fire, with no added value. Your car broke, mine didn't, so who is right?

You remind me of somebody who bought a chi-hua-hua to then realize he actually really wanted an elephant. Geez. If fun for you is towing your fast boat, what would ever posses you to buy the Z to begin with?

SUV wars : Many cars are NOT practical. Corvettes are practical? Ferraris? Porsches? Giant luxury Escalades that never go off road? If we only had "practical cars"we would all drive the one single size economical car. Thank God, this is not the only reason we buy cars.

Practical is as practical does. I have a Z, and an Expedition. For some chores, the Expy is practical. To drive to work by myself, the Z seems more practical. The first thing I did when I bought the Z is forget practical, I LOVE the car. Lets be honest. A two seater in most minds is not practical. Who cares.

Thank God for freedom. All my fellow Escalades, mini-vans, off road trucks on the road, on road trucks off the road, be well. Just one thing : GET OFF THE F*&%*% CELL PHONE!!!

Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 AM
montemac

This Z is impractical in many respects! It really shouldn't be driven on slippery/snowy roads and if you live in the northeast like I do, a few months out of the year, the Z is in the garage.

But who cares! I have an old '94 Grand Am that I use for the winter and my husband has a Pathfinder.

I have no kids or pets and personally, I wouldn't want anyone in my new Z to trash it. Not having a backseat is perfect!

But I love this car! Even though it is impractical in many ways, I knew that when I bought it. So what. This car rocks. It has a lot of power and corners like a dream. Ever since I got this car, I actually look forward to driving in traffic. Driving is actually fun again.

DB Touring
Old 04-02-2003, 04:09 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by montemac
This Z is impractical in many respects! It really shouldn't be driven on slippery/snowy roads and if you live in the northeast like I do, a few months out of the year, the Z is in the garage.

But who cares! I have an old '94 Grand Am that I use for the winter and my husband has a Pathfinder.

I have no kids or pets and personally, I wouldn't want anyone in my new Z to trash it. Not having a backseat is perfect!

But I love this car! Even though it is impractical in many ways, I knew that when I bought it. So what. This car rocks. It has a lot of power and corners like a dream. Ever since I got this car, I actually look forward to driving in traffic. Driving is actually fun again.

DB Touring
Exactly. As we all love our Zs, others might love their trucks and SUVs for their impracticality. That's what's great about the free market, we can all have close to what we want.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

I have a Z, Tahoe, and Jeep Wrangler - The Z is my daily driver but the Tahoe is comfortable and is great on the beaches of North Carolina...and taking the trash to the dump. My son drives the Jeep so I never see it.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:19 AM
droideka

Originally posted by Scafremon
Nice rant.

I would imagine '********' has probably been uttered in your direction based on your driving habits.

Enjoy the ride....and when you can't...calm down!
Oh, I've heard much worse than that. Let's break down my hatred for all things SUV. Can a Z or similar sports car take a decreasing radius sweeper at 70MPH? Absolutely. Can an SUV do the same? Absolutely not. So why, tell me, do these ******** that own SUVs try to drive them like sports cars? THAT's the SUV owner I HATE.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:26 AM
slaponte

Droi, there are asses driving every kind of car out there. Unfortunately, we live with other humans around us...

Don't have to be an SUV. Some of those mini-van, honda, BMW, Audi, etc, etc drivers are something else. Some people should really NOT drive. But what can you do?

Here is what I saw next to me, coming on an on-ramp at 65 or so : the lady is doing 70, looking at herself in the mirror, cell phone on shoulder, coffe on one hand (no hands on the wheel) and at the moment I look, she yawns sooo big her eyes are shut....

She was driving... a Yukon... I like the style of Yukons. The problem is her, not the Yukon.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Jason Bourne

Oh, I've heard much worse than that. Let's break down my hatred for all things SUV. Can a Z or similar sports car take a decreasing radius sweeper at 70MPH? Absolutely. Can an SUV do the same? Absolutely not. So why, tell me, do these ******** that own SUVs try to drive them like sports cars? THAT's the SUV owner I HATE.
I have a very similar viewpoint to Droidekaus. I cannot for teh life of me unerstand why people would willingly subject themselves to drive what is effectively the closest thing to a greyhound bus or dump truck. WHY? SUVs just suck...

But one thing I would caution you on:
I was driving my BMW 323i (suspension mods and R-copmound tires, even on the street) through some twisty roads in the neighborhood that I know like the back of my hand. There was no traffic and I was taking the corners at a decent but not overly fast pace. Anyway, this Explorer driven by some 18 yr old comes up behind me and starts tailgating me (even though we are already at ~20mph above the posted limit). So I accelerate a bit and he keeps following me. I could tell that he didn't really know what he was doing because by this point he was overslowing for some corners and coming close to overcooking it in others. But since he was basically trying to match my speed through everything, I decided to mess with hime. I led him through all the corners at approximately 7/10 for my car (which was close to 9/10 for him) and he was starting to slide a bit but still keeping up. Then I came into this decreasing radius, blind corner and only slowed to take it at about 10/10 with no warning to him. He followed me into it, suddenly realized there was no way he was making the full corner and promptly drove offe the road into a copse of small trees and rolled his POS. That is where I felt really bad. He was a jackass and pretty much deserved it but I was damn glad that he wasn't hurt and I will never lead anyone on that way again.

So just be careful whe you are messing with someone.

Jason
Old 04-02-2003, 06:47 AM
slaponte

Again, the problem been the driver, not the car.

My mom had a great Malibu Station Wagon back in the mid 80s. Big red sucker, huge, with a powerfull 350. When my brothers got to driving age they used to JUMP the sucker over small hills, etc. A STATION WAGON?! They "thought" they were driving a sports car (a long one with 3 rows of seats)...

I think one way to understand this better : every time you say "this car is not practical..." finish that sentence with "for xxx". What isn't it practical for?

My Expy (SUV) is practical to haul lumber, take my 5 dogs to the vet, tow small trailers, move furniture around, take 6 people to lunch with me...

My Z is practical to drive by myself to work every day, to take corners at 50MPH+, to put a big huge grin on my face.

Everything has a reason and a pourpose. You will whish you had a Greyhound bus if you need to take the High School soccer team to a game at the town next over! It might not put a big grin on your face, but it works.

The Z is NOT PRACTICAL. Lets all say that out loud, and be PROUD of it!! If we are to be accepted as drivers of inpractical cars, we must learn to accept others as well.

"My Z is inpractical to carry 6 people, your SUV is inpractical to take the next turn, now move over and let me use one of those three lanes you are hogging!"

Quick Reply: Traded my Z today....For a.....