Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Joining the "totalled my Z" club....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Tarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said ABS did not help... I wouldn't use the brakes in such situation, if you did, then that might be the cause for your total loss of control.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Tubbs

How's your passenger side fender????
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's terrible. Glad you're okay. I've never seen wheel damage like that. How wide is your setup? I'm on 255/285 with my Volks. The rear tires keep hitting the fender, so I get scared if it hits bad enough to cause me to lose control. It almost happened when I just got my tires. Turns out I had about 40psi in each tire.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Takase350z

yeah, actually i did let off going through the puddle. I had some sliding issues before and know not to be confident in the rain w/ these tires. My stock set up was alot better in the rain. Most probably due to tires designed for dry weather, I'm not blaming them... not blaming myself. Things happen.. hence "accident". Not sure why some people can't understand that? Or why it is necessary to place blame when something happens. It is what it is.. let it go. Anyhoo... I believe the rims folded like that, because they are forged aluminum. Meaning their primary design is to be light, not super strong. But, we all know no wheel out there could have survived that anyways. Well, thought this would be great discussion material, which is what a post is for. I'll chime in once I decide what the heck I'm gonna do regarding replacement. Thanks for all the input
Old 01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
S-tuned

welcome to the club, drinks are free after 11pm
Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM
05-Z

Originally Posted by light
man.. i didn't know Work S1 are that weak.. bent to such shape
Trust me, these wheels are not "weak." Far from it.

Think of the stepped lip being constructed like an "I" beam for a building.....very strong.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by Takase350z
yeah, actually i did let off going through the puddle. I had some sliding issues before and know not to be confident in the rain w/ these tires. My stock set up was alot better in the rain. Most probably due to tires designed for dry weather, I'm not blaming them... not blaming myself. Things happen.. hence "accident". Not sure why some people can't understand that? Or why it is necessary to place blame when something happens. It is what it is.. let it go. Anyhoo... I believe the rims folded like that, because they are forged aluminum. Meaning their primary design is to be light, not super strong. But, we all know no wheel out there could have survived that anyways. Well, thought this would be great discussion material, which is what a post is for. I'll chime in once I decide what the heck I'm gonna do regarding replacement. Thanks for all the input
Man that sucks!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
stein

Big no no in my book! What brand tires were they? I've always spent the extra buck and got all seasons since you never really know what kind of conditions you'll run into.

I see people around here all the time with summer tires; because it saves them a few $. Then when it rains they loose control or are unable to stop because their stopping distance doubles when it rains.

Glad you're ok though, that is what counts!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Ianmtx

Maybe I was not clear on my post... I was NOT speeding or driving like an "IDIOT"... Again, 60mph on the freeway...it was a LIGHT rain, but the puddle was about a lane wide and TRUST me the hydroplaning surprised me as well. I am 32 years old and just on my way to the office CRUISING. Not changing lanes, racing etc. **** happens, this event makes that point VERY clear to me now. I am extremely careful w/ my car and my surroundings. A few words...CONTROL IS AN ILLUSION. Noone has it, you just think you do.

That being said... here is a pic of one of the WORK wheels... Not sure how it got to that shape... the other front is the same w/ the rears having the lips folded in. They are all worthless if anyone was wondering...

OMG I'm gonna be sick.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Takase350z

update... after test driving many cars, bouncing from decisions day after day.. i finally settled on just getting another Z. Picking up a new ppw 07' Touring tomorrow. I'll take pics of course. So lets try this again....
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry bro. glad youre ok. i hate driving in the rain in TX. w. all the oils on the roads then it rains = nightmare!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:29 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear you made it our relatively okay, even if your ppw didn't. So what spec and colour did you go for this time?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's a good thing that you walked away from the car and didn't flip over into the on coming lane ... and ended up as flat as a bug on the front of an 18-wheeler.

Be twice as careful as you were before. You got real lucky.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

oh btw... they were Nitto 555s 275's on the rear and 245's on the front... Brand new rubber... and YES, I have a base w/ no VDC or TCS... wish I had it? Sure...maybe it would have made a difference. Especially since the ABS wasn't any help... For the person who included "LSD"... an LSD is irrelevant in circumstances such as hydroplanning...

For those w/ the concerns and positive remarks thank you. I would hope none of you would have to go through this and to those that have, you know what I mean. As a matter of fact I wish I could blame it on myself or driving etc... but noones fault here. Its a great car regardless, stuff happens... I'm not going to blame it on the fact that it didnt have VDC etc...
Maybe in the future if my car gets hit by a meteorite I can blame it on the car because I failed to get the optional force shield...

Good luck to you all and your Zs... Hopefully I'll can be back!
Man dont listen to half of the guys..they are vultures. .Im glad your ok and you are correct about control being an illusion. Do you know how many wrecks i went on as a paramedic where the person told me they thought they had it under control.. Get you a new Z and get back in the saddle. Good luck to you.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 PM
modzs

That'll buff right out....

but seriously, I hate it for you bro.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
gsazabi

Man glad you're ok.
I am another victim of hydroplaning on Nitto 555s(read my sig).
If the car is totalled, I hope you use this chance to get a 07.
And like you said, those Works are completely toast.
Luckily for me, my insurance company covered my aftermarket rims and got me brand new ones.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
infiniteracing

I just want to say first off all that this sucks. It's easy for everyone to knock the situation but none else was there and iy could happen to anyone. However, for everyone saying "when i see a puddle it brace myelf and let off the pedal" this isn't the solution. Anyone that has taken a defensive driving or racing course knows that changing your driving style for an quick instant situation is what gets you in trouble. At 60 mph, taking your foot off the gas shifts the wieght of the car forward, taking grip off the rear wheels. also suddenly grabing the wheel causes a tensing reaction that causes drastic movemnts in your steering output. I think the best advice for anyone that drives any car let alone a performance car like the Z, should take numerous driving course and racing courses at their local track. The experience far exceeds the cost of the class and the situations that are covered will come up in real life and you'll be prepared. Sorry for the rant, but I don't think enough drivers take learning to drive seriuosly enough. So many of us pass our driving test at 16 and never bother to further our education. To me that's like learning 2+2=4 in kindergarten and deciding that's good enough. So get some friends together and instead of going out for beers during a baseball game, head out to the track and take a defensive driving course. You'll be amazed how fun it will actually be. Sorry for the length
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Fluid1

My insurance company says 'thank you'
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Viffer35Z

There's always a few lessons to be learned from an accident, but first off, Takase, the best part of this story is that you're ok! You'll have many more cars.

Since a new set of Nismo's is in the mail, TIRES, has been my focus for the last few days. I was initially going to go with BFG KD's but their wet weather performance was terrible, and even though my Z is never in the rain, If I'm on a trip or anything, I don't want to encounter a wet road and feel like I'm on ice skates. I'm going with Goodyear F1 GS-D3's.

VDC - Just a few days ago there was a post asking if the GT trim was worth it. I've stated a few times over the year and a half I've had my Z that VDC saved my a$$ at least once for sure. It's such a GREAT system for safety and people balk at spending the extra $2K or whatever for it. With a rear wheel car with a bunch of tourque, it's a necessity! IMO
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 AM
dejavu1096

sorry for your lost bro! now you can get an 07.

Quick Reply: Joining the "totalled my Z" club....