Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 12:42 PM
dkny_boi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Gerry
Ive had this problem several times also and it is a Z problem! I was told on another forum that there is a flap or a valve that does not open in the tank. I have found that if I fill up at a 1/4 tank it happens, and if I let it go way down then it will fill up. This is a very annoying problem when you can only fill a 1/2 tank!
This was exactly what was happening with my car. And the dealership told me that it was something wrong w/ a "fuel check valve" in the filler tube that didn't open properly when i'm filling up.

Either way... i took it to them to have it fixed under warranty and now mine works just fine. So if you guys are still having this problem just take the time and have the dealership take a look at it and fix it.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:55 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to pick up my plates today. I will let them know.

I hate dealerships, mine has been great and they did a kick *** job with my clear bra, but I still hate dealerships...

but I cant freakin gas up!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Gerry

I have found that letting it go till about 50 miles remain on the Miles to go gauge and It fills up every time. If I fill up with a 1/4 tank or more it will almost always stop early.

Originally posted by DrVolkl
There's definitely something going on with the Z's gas tank.

I never had the problem until about a month ago...and it was both my gas guage and my tank being off.

Then it went away and hasn't come back. I haven't had any problems with the gas tank in 4 fill ups or so...crossing my fingers.

Like someone else said, there may be some sort of extra splash back due to the nature of our tank, and some pumps are more sensitive than others. Who knows.

I've owned 11 cars and trucks over the years, and I've never had this sort of problem.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM
dkny_boi

That's true, but that gets to be a pain in the ***, what if you're on a trip or something and you just need to fill up at 1/4 tank... you have to sit there for 15min just to fill up a half tank if even.

If you have the time, try to get it fixed, it shouldn't cost you a thing.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Gerry

You are absolutely correct! Problem is everytime I take the car to the dealer even for an oil change its an adventure. They left the oil cap off on an oil change once. I definately dont want them messing with a fuel valve.
Im looking for a better dealership here in White Plains, NY

Originally posted by dkny_boi
That's true, but that gets to be a pain in the ***, what if you're on a trip or something and you just need to fill up at 1/4 tank... you have to sit there for 15min just to fill up a half tank if even.

If you have the time, try to get it fixed, it shouldn't cost you a thing.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
GQ 350z

This happens all the time! Needless to say at chevron the gas has somehow spewed on my rear bumper twice.

It's quite embarassing not being able to fill gas anywhere you go--especially with the onlookers when you fill up. I have noticed this problem especially recently.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:24 PM
dkny_boi

Lol... i know how you feel. I'd stand at the station for who knows how long just to get 5-10 bucks worth of gas in. I had the gas spew up once cuz i was just impatient and tried to keep pressing the lever even though it clicked off.

Gerry, i know what you mean... i've heard so many horror stories, and seen a few myself that the first time i went for an oil change i was so nervous that i stuck around and asked to watch "cuz i've never seen it before" lol... No real problems w/ my dealership, other than the guy kept kicking the kickplate on his way in/out of the car. I hope you have better luck w/ the next dealership
Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM
dmeara

I purchased an 04’ Tour Roadster three months ago. I have had problems filling every time. Once, it wouldn't take gas at all. I took it in to the dealer and they tested the tank with nitrogen and said that the gas filler check valve was the problem and that they would order a new tank. They also said to plan on two days in the shop as it was a major R&R. That sent me to the forums because I didn't want my new car disassembled.

After carefully following all the suggestions and reading all the posts I have deduced the following:

1. This is a Nissan problem not a pump problem. Some pumps flow at a higher rate and this may manifest itself in gas surging back or cutting off rapidly.

2. This is probably a clearance or tolerance problem on the fill valve because of the range of issues (no problem, intermittent, consistent or affected by temperature).

3. It may improve over time/fillings. When I first began tracking my fills, I had to drizzle 4+ gallons in over 10 minutes before the valve would open. Last night it was down to 2.5 gallons and then the valve opened completely as indicated by its ability to take fuel on the highest setting.

4. I have been told that there is no way to correct this problem other than tank replacement as it is one unit.

5. I am keeping careful track of my fills and the problem. If this is as bad as it gets, I'll live with it. I'm hopeful that over time it will get better or go away entirely.

I urge everyone that is having this problem to document it and post back if they find a solution or can establish a trend.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Aggro_Al

I've recently just started having the problem. I think it might have something to do with the gauge because the tank will overflow even when the gauge says I'm low. After driving a little bit it seems like the gauge seems to moves to where it should be.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an '04 Touring Roadster...No problems at all. However, I do make sure that after I pumped the gas in and when finished I turn the cap just 2 clicks! That might be the answer?? Good Luck
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 AM
dkny_boi

I dunno bout them having to order a whole new tank... my dealership told me they'd just need to order a new check valve... i brought it in the morning and it was done by the end of the day (mind you i'm in a fairly small city so it's not all that busy)

I don't know how long before it might start to get better or worse, all i kno is that having it do that everytime i filled up (since june 04) drove me crazy that i just had to get it repaired.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:21 PM
poorbastard

it happened to me fillin my dads car its cause you hold the nozzle high so the the 'male' part of the nozzle is pointing down at a steep angle which i guess makes a safety thing stop the pump
Old 10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I've filled over 20 times now and nothin happened to me ever.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 PM
TAZBomberman

what gas do you guys fill ur cars up w ? 87 89 or 93 ?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM
dkny_boi

it's not cuz of how you fill, what pump you fill at, or what octane you use... the fuel check valve on the car was deffective plain an simple. my friend used to be a gas jockey and we also tried every trick in his book in regards to what angle the nozzle was held and how much to pull the trigger for the gas to come out... as well as many different stations, still always had the problem. it's just a problem that appeared on some cars.

and for the record i use 91 octane myself.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
obsidian02

Mine has no problem, only the fuel cap (sometime) sticks and won't open. If this happened I have to go back several times into my car and reopen
Old 10-25-2004, 10:51 PM
HenryLee

Originally posted by Gerry
I have found that letting it go till about 50 miles remain on the Miles to go gauge and It fills up every time. If I fill up with a 1/4 tank or more it will almost always stop early.

Thanks for the info guys, I always wondered why sometimes my gas tank would only fill to 3/4 of a tank.....but when my fuel light came on and I filled up, it would fill up all the way. Solves the mystery: I'm just gonna drive until the damn Miles Til Empty light starts flashin'
Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
stonesfan

I'm not so sure that this is a problem with the Z alone because I also have a 1996 Nissan 200SX and it just happened twice to that car. I'm starting to think it's the pumps at the station.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:09 PM
FLZ

only trouble I've had is in my wallet..........
Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

Originally posted by FLZ
only trouble I've had is in my wallet..........
Ditto, i'm hitting the $40 mark every 5 days.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have trouble filling up with gas?