2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stick and automatic what is yours

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 PM
lilquazyvietboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes but... one 1 gear at a time... and the response u get after u shift is slow too.

i test drove an auto Z before i bought my car because there was only auto convertable in stock.... i eventually bought my stick roadster from out of state.

OH.... did i mention the auto Z has 5 gears?.... the more gear = the wider the torque band. but... i guess the more shifting done the slower u be... so i guess that balance out.

also.. on a road trip to florida with a couple buddies... we drove in a hyundai sonata... it was an auto... since i started driving a stick... i didnt want to drive an auto... so at the very least... i went into M mode... so i can manually shift... and man, that was the WORST stick driving experience i have ever been on.... the response is slow... iono what gear it is in.... if i drop down 2 gears too fast... it wont count that 2nd gear drop... but that's a sonata... i know... but still... maybe im not used to that kind of shifting... but it is gay.... i rather have it be an auto

Last edited by lilquazyvietboi; 02-11-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Electricchild

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
ok? the fastest car is in an auto... ur point? the more drag racing oriented the car.. the less reliable it is on the street. what about rally race? sure the top auto cars can go from 0-120 the fastest... let's say

but... on the street and on a roll.... trying an auto would do u no good. here's why.

let's say we're going 80mph... and (3 horn = let's roll)... since i know we're gonna go on 3rd horn... i lower my gear to 3rd gear in the torque band at around 6rpm (starting at 80mph)... on 3rd horn... all i gotta do is slam on the gas. where as if u drive an auto.... when u slam on the gas... it takes like a full second or so before it can go from 6th down to 3rd gear. ASK ANY Drag racer... a full second of response at the start of a race = very very bad

there's a reason why most street sport car are manual. because we can manually adjust the car to our own taste accordingly to the condition. the drift king tsuchiya always drives a stick and not an auto why?

all touge racers drive a stick because they can keep their car at the torque band regardless of the situation: uphill, downhill, tight corners, wide corners, u-turns,... an auto will **** u up cause every second counts... if u slam on the peddle half way... it shifts u into a certain gear... then when u slam ALL the way down, it gets u down to ANOTHER gear.

another this is... let's say we're speeding up to hit a corner... u know u gonna slow down so u let go off the accelerator... an auto will go to the next gear... u hit the brake upon cornering... accelerate a little cause u losing speed... brake a little more to adjust.... and slam on the gas at the corner exit.... ur auto will shift like crazy.... i bet u... u'll lose like 2-4secs of response.

where as with a stick... i can just slow down... heal-toe to an appropriate gear and do the whole cornering within 1 gear.... and at the corner exit... i just slam on the gas? ^_-

u brought up a worthless fact... cause Z is a road sport car... not a track car.... they use these crazy 7 seconds car with parachutes in the rear fo the brakes. that does not mean an auto is better than a Z when

1. it isnt stock auto
2. it is for the track 1/4 drag time (no professional draggers choses a Z for 1/4 anyways)

auto z is not BETTER than a stick... and here's MY reason why stick > auto

1.pre-adjust my car to be ready for a roll.
2.keeps me active and not bored
3.i can drift better.
4.i can rev up my engine (sure u can put N and rev... but that's not safe while u are on a roll :P )
5.im a lefty... so my left foot needs to be doing something.
6.i can watch my time and improve.. instead of slamming on the gas for 1/4... well unless u are a pro drag racer... what fun is it to slam on the gas at a 1/4?
7. and finally....... i can shift to the beat of the music

CASE CLOSED... u people who use "the top 1/4 mile Z is an auto"... U GOT OWNED!!!! cause ur fact is pointless... just admit ur fukn lazy and want to relax on a cruise
Old 02-11-2007, 10:17 PM
md350

so i guess that balance out.
All I was saying. In the end no one can really say MT is faster than AT or AT is faster than MT.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
lilquazyvietboi

exactly... that's why i didnt state that as one of the reason i think MT > AT
Old 02-12-2007, 07:21 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please lock this now and someone local kill the OP.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by md350
In auto Z's you can manual shift and choose your gears.

...there goes that page of writing
+1. Some people need to learn how to step away from the keyboard.

And.......stop.......writing...........like................. ...this
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 AM
s13SRmadness

In auto Z's you can manual shift and choose your gears.

...there goes that page of writing
you cant really though.
be honest. i'm not an AT hater, but be realistic about what it is.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by s13SRmadness
you cant really though.
be honest. i'm not an AT hater, but be realistic about what it is.
Ummm, what do you call the MANUAL shift mode then? Ohhhh, thats right. It just randomly picks a gear for you to use
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

shifting to the beat of the music is not recommended by DROPPEDIT2WCE lol!!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 AM
s13SRmadness

Originally Posted by camaro194
Ummm, what do you call the MANUAL shift mode then? Ohhhh, thats right. It just randomly picks a gear for you to use
"manual shift mode" is great and all, but you're still letting the car shift for you via a tourqe converter.
it is not really manual shifting. i'm not saying this is bad, i'm just saying it's not equivalent to actual manual shifting.

shifting to music is stupid btw. (i also feel the same way about drag racing, lol)
Old 02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by s13SRmadness
"manual shift mode" is great and all, but you're still letting the car shift for you via a tourqe converter.
it is not really manual shifting. i'm not saying this is bad, i'm just saying it's not equivalent to actual manual shifting.

shifting to music is stupid btw. (i also feel the same way about drag racing, lol)
I was using it as point to lilquazyvietboi that you can select your gears with an AT.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is that it's PERSONAL PREFERENCE! I enjoy my AT "Z" just as much as some of you guys enjoy your manual Z so let's all just enjoy our own ride and have fun with it. All this argument and hating is annoying. This belongs in the ricer forum, not a Z forum.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
s13SRmadness

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
All I know is that it's PERSONAL PREFERENCE! I enjoy my AT "Z" just as much as some of you guys enjoy your manual Z so let's all just enjoy our own ride and have fun with it. All this argument and hating is annoying. This belongs in the ricer forum, not a Z forum.
great sensible post there.
this thread should now be locked.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 PM
wooochang

i think the point that MT drivers are trying to make is that AT drivers would derive much more pleasure out of MT.

the ones that already know how to drive MT and choose AT are fine, but the ones that never spent the time to learn MT seem to really be missing out.

personally, i cant see how anyone could choose AT over MT other than the traffic excuse.

the "i dont know how to drive MT" AT drivers are just weak.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by dave079
LOL
Old 02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
alann

Neither is faster. You shift or the computer shifts. AT's have manual shifting available anyways. People blow this way out of proportion.
VERY TRUE

It is blown way out there in left field. I was a serious drag racer from 1967 to 2004. EVERY ONE of my drag cars was an auto. They are much more reliable and will take quite the beating. However, for sheer fun and road course driving I prefer a manual. As you can see, both have their place and either one can be just as fast as the other. If it works for you then it the "right" one.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:33 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind auto, but I prefer MT
Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
keosh

what have i done some one lock this dang thread i made hahahah people are just makeing fun of one another
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
adrianko43

If you know you're going to be sitting in traffic all the time, why buy a Z? Why not get a luxury car for crusing? The point of getting a sports car is to have fun, and MT is more fun than AT.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Suvlaki

yes but... one 1 gear at a time... and the response u get after u shift is slow too...

If you flick your wrist twice quickly up or down, your auto will skip a gear for you. I.e. you can shift from 5th down to 3rd or 4th down to 2nd if you choose.

I hate to add fuel to the fire but damn, most of these hardcore MT guys have never driven an AT Z in their lives, and if they have, they have not used all of it's features because they are not open to the idea. They assume the AT Z is the same as a 1990's AT camry.

Whatever, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Quick Reply: Stick and automatic what is yours