Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

is there a deffinate warranty void?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:02 PM
FALLEN1z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a deffinate warranty void?

hey guys, i know certain things like turbos and such will void a warranty but after reading a bunch of people's experiences with warranties im afraid to do things that shoulodnt void the warranty because i have a feeling nissan would somehow use it to try and void it.

for example.... the test pipes and y pipe that i just installed. supposedly (from what a guy at the dealership told me) you can do anything you want to your exhaust because the exhaust isnt warrantied. then the service manager told me that test pipes will only void your emissions warranty which makes sense.

but say i take it in for an oil consumption problem or something like that im worried that they'll say well clearly the car is raced and beaten on because the car has test pipes. or maybe even say that the test pipes caused the problem altho i dont see any way that's possible. i've read some stories about people with these same examples and it kinda makes me lose all faith in the warranty that's offered because even if the part couldnt directly cause the problem, they may try and use it as an excuse to not replace the part.

an example that i heard the other day was someone had test pipes on the car and brought it in because the trans was bad, and they said that they wouldnt warranty it because the test pipes were an indication that the car was beaten on and thats probably y the trans was bad.

i have 17k miles left on my factory powertrain warranty and 4 years/48,000 miles left on my extended bumper to bumper warranty but i dont know whether i should expect nissan to honor those or not. any thoughts??
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
im afraid to do things that shoulodnt void the warranty because i have a feeling nissan would somehow use it to try and void it.
Then the answer is simple - leave the car stock.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:32 AM
MasterRacer

Dude you know when you start moding any car that some warranty's will be void depending on what you do, everyone has a different opinion on this but there IS a law that protects consumers from this type of act from dealers. I believe its called the Magnum-Ross act or something like that, the only way a dealer can void your warranty is for them to prove that your mod directly affected the failure of the component in question.

BTW use..............SEARCH next time, this has been discussed 10million times
Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

dosen't Frederick NIssan warranty anything they install if you also buy it through them? Nismo accessories bought from and installed by the dealer should also be covered but water damage from the CAI is not as I found out!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Boostd4

Yup, this topic is beaten to death on every car forum. As there are laws in place to protect us as consumers...we still have to use common sense. The bottom line is that if you intend to take advantage of your warranty, keep your mods mild. If you slap a TT setup on your Z (as well as the rest of the supporting mods) kiss your warranty goodbye.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 AM
FALLEN1z

sorry guys i forgot to search this one. my mods are mild but i dont have very much fate in the nissan warranty. they already tried to screw me witht he z i had before this one. i bought a black 03 base about a month and a half ago and i only had it for three weeks because i found out soon after i bought it that they lied about the car being in an accident and i didnt see this in the carfax because they didnt show me the complete car fax. the trans also needed to be replaced because the third gear synchro was gone. i didnt notice it on the test drive because it felt fine until you tried to shift above 3k rpms and i only went above that once and hjust felt like an idiot because i thought i missed third. they insisted that they did a very thorough inspection of the car before they sold it to me but i guess they failed to see that the front control arms were junkyard pieces, the undertray was cracked, the front bumper didnt even utilize the factory mounting locations anymore and the transmission fluid was black with little metal flakes scattered throughout. i had also bought the extended warranty on the car but was denied a new transmission under warranty because they said "clearly because of the condition of the fluid, the car was neglected so we wont help you out". this was after i'd only owned the car for 2 weeks and was told by two dealership representatives that there were 0 mechanical flaws with the car. it's not my fault if the car was neglected, that's y i bought a warranty. they should've also known that if they did any kind of inspection because the most basic inspection would be to check all fluids
Old 02-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Ztalker

cancel the extended warranty and get your back ASAP.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:27 AM
On Nightfall

Originally Posted by Ztalker
cancel the extended warranty and get your back ASAP.
x100000000000000000
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by FALLEN1z
sorry guys i forgot to search this one. my mods are mild but i dont have very much fate in the nissan warranty. they already tried to screw me witht he z i had before this one. i bought a black 03 base about a month and a half ago and i only had it for three weeks because i found out soon after i bought it that they lied about the car being in an accident and i didnt see this in the carfax because they didnt show me the complete car fax. the trans also needed to be replaced because the third gear synchro was gone. i didnt notice it on the test drive because it felt fine until you tried to shift above 3k rpms and i only went above that once and hjust felt like an idiot because i thought i missed third. they insisted that they did a very thorough inspection of the car before they sold it to me but i guess they failed to see that the front control arms were junkyard pieces, the undertray was cracked, the front bumper didnt even utilize the factory mounting locations anymore and the transmission fluid was black with little metal flakes scattered throughout. i had also bought the extended warranty on the car but was denied a new transmission under warranty because they said "clearly because of the condition of the fluid, the car was neglected so we wont help you out". this was after i'd only owned the car for 2 weeks and was told by two dealership representatives that there were 0 mechanical flaws with the car. it's not my fault if the car was neglected, that's y i bought a warranty. they should've also known that if they did any kind of inspection because the most basic inspection would be to check all fluids

lol sucks to hear that I hope you got a brand new Z wit 0 miles.
I hope you hired a Lemon Law attorney
Old 02-12-2007, 09:08 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

The best way to mod a Z is to get a Base model with the extended warranty (it covers individual stuff for you).
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 AM
kj98r05

They tried screwing me too, I had test pipes on my 06 and I spun a rod bearing and because of the test pipes they said the warranty was automatically declined. Well come to find out there is a warranty act called magnuson-moss and I called nissan back and they were all of a sudden on my side and told me to take it to another dealer. They told me that the original dealer couldn't deny my warranty unless it was proven that i spun the bearing because of the pipes.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nissan will do any thing they can to get out of warranty service. You just have to be smarter than them IF you have an issue. Fight for what you know is right and mod away! Most of the horror stories are urban legends anyway.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think with my mods I will have any problem getting my tranny replaced? I got the extended warranty btw.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:41 PM
FALLEN1z

it's good to know that law is there. i cant think of anything that could really go wrong because of the test pipes. there's plenty of backpressure because although i have test pipes and a y pipe, i have the factory catback which im pretty sure is still more restrictive than nismo cats and an aftermarket catback.

i didnt contact an attourny, i went back there and made them take it back and i bought my 03 silverstone performance. so i went from base with an accident and blown tranny with 60k miles to an 03 performance with no accidents and a good tranny with 43k miles. they did try and screw me again though. i did get my new one from the same nissan dealer but this time i made them put it on a lift so i could check everything personally.

they originally said alright well the list price for this z (the silverstone one) is $18,900 and we're willing to give you $15,000 for yours (although i bought it for $17,300 3 weeks before that). i flipped **** because they were trying to make money off of me again for selling me a ****ty car. because of the whole incident i got them to extend the warranty from the 2 year 24,000 mile warranty that i had on the lemon to a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty for no charge. it still has 17k of the factory powertrain also so im covered now i think.... im a lot more confident in the warranty now knowing that there's laws out there so they cant screw me on getting something replaced.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
Do you think with my mods I will have any problem getting my tranny replaced? I got the extended warranty btw.
Yeah, I think the tint is going to cause some problems
Old 02-12-2007, 03:37 PM
alann

If you mod it they will find a way to void the warranty. Sure, you could call them on it if whatever broke has nothing to do with your mods. However, can you afford to fight them? Most of the time the consumer will loose simply because of lack of rescourses. If your gonna mod/race your car it's gonna break! The only question is when? Just remember you gotta pay to play. If you get serious have the funds to rebuild or buy a new motor/trans sitting there. You will need it.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alann
If you mod it they will find a way to void the warranty. .
Simply not correct!

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

DO NOT be afraid to take your modded car to the dealership for warranty repairs.

bill
Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
alann

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Simply not correct!

"Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law."

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2669.html

DO NOT be afraid to take your modded car to the dealership for warranty repairs.

bill
If you read the entire post you will see that I did state that even if the consumer is in the right; the dealer has a much larger bag to pull tricks out of. It does not matter that you are in the right. If in this position go ahead and use the MM. Howerver, you will need a lawyer. Have you priced one lately? Sadly the courts are not about right and wrong; they are a playing field for lawyers. Usually the one that can build the "best" case will win whether right or wrong. It's all about money and the corp. has more than the little guy. Yes, I am passinate about this. In fact my son is a Patent attorny and CEO of the Public Patent Foundation. (pubpat.org) He deals with issues like this every day, fighting for the little guy. The MM act is good but, in reality who has enough $$$$ to drag a dealership through court.

Last edited by alann; 02-12-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Yeah, I think the tint is going to cause some problems
The most diabolical hater over here. Lol I was just wondering cause I dont want them to give me any crap when I bring it in.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I guess you're suggesting you shoudn't even bother trying to get legimate warranty repairs done?

Sorry, I disagree. Like I said "DO NOT be afraid to take your modded car to the dealership for warranty repairs."

Many owners with mods have gotten a wide range of warranyt repairs done simply by going to the service department and making a request. No attorney needed.

bill

Quick Reply: is there a deffinate warranty void?