Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hey guys. New to the forum. I have an 00 S4 stock, thinking about switching to the Z.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Alano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys. New to the forum. I have an 00 S4 stock, thinking about switching to the Z.

I love the S4, love the AWD, and love the power, but financially the cost to fix everything that needs to be fixed is just too much, especially me being a full time college student. Other then it being an automatic and me wanting to swap over to a manual, the Z has always been one of my favorite cars. Im just worried about the RWD and the winters we get here sometimes in jersey and if its worth it or not. Anyone have any suggestions as to this switch? Was looking for a used Z at around 17 - 19 grand, is that wishful thinking or realistic?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:52 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's like two different cars. How about an '07 G35X? Yea, it's still an auto on this one. Not sure what your priorities are hehe, and welcome!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Alano

Yeah I hear you on the two different cars, although I havent driven the Z yet. I just think its more of a realistic choice for me at this point anyway. The S4 is great, and you get respect from people for having one lol, but other then the turbos and awd, its not all THAT special. Believe me I love it, but I also love the Z
Old 02-26-2007, 06:03 AM
DIGItonium

So are you willing to sacrifice AWD and Turbos [and auto, tee hee!] for a RWD, N/A [and 6MT], 2 seater?

The new HR motor is interesting. At least you don't need any bolt-on upgrades out of the box with the '07 Z. Don't forget the 7500 RPM redline! Well since you'll lose the AWD, you can get a staggered wheel setup with some FAT rubber. It's sooo cool haha. Wheel upgrades are so nice on the Z.

If you're looking for turbo upgrades in the near time frame, it may be too early with the new HR motor.

You might want to visit the Forced Induction sub forum to satisfy your hunger for twin snails :-)

I still have a 2003, and I'm not complaining about practical power. I barely press the gas pedal when driving. Yea, it's embarrassing. I don't have a need to open it up, and the throttle response is already nice it just feels natural :-)

Oh yea, the steering is great. I really love the tight turning radius in parking situations.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 AM
Alano

Well the S is more then I need at this point. I never press the gas all the way either heh. The only thing that would be hard is letting the AWD go, and well the turbos too. I know if I dont get rid of the S sometime soon, its going to just suck out more money out of the pockets. Especially if the turbos end up blowing.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 AM
DIGItonium

Eh, is it whining badly? My bud had the same issue with his RX-7. Even with a "new" motor, he was having maintenance issues. He's driving the M3 now (good deal on Ebay).

Test drive the '07 G35X first. I never driven one, so you can be the guinea pig haha. It is currently my "test" platform for my CarPC before the '08 G Coupe comes out later this year.

So what do you look for in the Z?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Alano

Lol like I said, full time college student, not looking for a brand new car. Was hoping to pick up an 03 or something like that. My cousin drives the M3 also in Laguna blue, car is an animal. Ive just always loved the Z and pretty confident thats what I want to be my next car. Ive wanted to put money into the S4 also, mod wise, but realistically with what could happen in the future is not worth it. I presume the Z would be a little cheaper to mod, and not that it would be "more reliable" per say, but a less blow on the pockets since its not a german when something should be fixed?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
drewb612

I am coming from the EXACT situation you are in...in had a 00 tip S4 and just recently made the switch to an 03 track. Here is my response to a friend when he asked me about the switch. ill paste it right here

Originally Posted by drewb612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomGT
Wasnt the S4 faster than your car now? Thanks and good luck with your Z.

Dom

Well theres no easy way to address the question so here it goes. The S4 was nearly 7 years old, had 75k miles, and was beginning to really show its age. It had some suspension problems, other minor issues, and just overall had become a ticking time bomb. I was also still on the stock turbos which many claim to have a short shelf life when used on a chipped car anyways. Now the S4 had amazing straight line acceleration, no turbo lag really, and great AWD…however the 350z completely trumps it in nearly every other category. The S4 looks like a nicer A4, most people couldn’t tell the difference. I get way more compliments in the 350z. Also I made sure to buy a track model for the brembo brakes, LSD, VDC traction control, and 18” forged wheels that weigh only 18lbs a piece. Overall a great package from the factory, as far as performance goes, the Z stock for stock was faster then the S4, handled better, and braked better. The only advantage I would really give to the S4 was that it was def. faster then the Z when chipped, but I felt this hindered the overall reliability of the car. The Z also lacks the luxury of the audi, but I think makes up for it with its nice driver centered interior. Everything is well laid out and really centered around the drivers experience. Also although AWD is great up north, I moved to Miami and RWD really is a lot more fun. Other then that I really do miss the brutal launches the S4 had and its luxury but the 350Z is way more fun to drive and looks much better imo. Anyways if that doesn’t answer your question let me know, I have a ton of seat time behind both and can really provide any objective answers if you need any.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Alano

Wow heh, exact situation. Well I was thinking the same thing about the S4, its got 78k miles on it, timing belt needs a change, and overall its too much money to maintain, and I know its going to just get worse. I love the launches as well, but I honestly like the look of the Z more as well. Although i LOVE audis, the Z has had my eye since day 1. Also, I really like the interior of the Z more then the Audi, as well as the layout. The only thing I will really really miss and have to debate over is the AWD that I would need...also, this would be my first stick car, I hear some horror stories on new RWD drivers with decently powered cars. Do you have AIM or an email?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure that you know which is more capable in the snow.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 AM
drewb612

Originally Posted by Alano
Wow heh, exact situation. Well I was thinking the same thing about the S4, its got 78k miles on it, timing belt needs a change, and overall its too much money to maintain, and I know its going to just get worse. I love the launches as well, but I honestly like the look of the Z more as well. Although i LOVE audis, the Z has had my eye since day 1. Also, I really like the interior of the Z more then the Audi, as well as the layout. The only thing I will really really miss and have to debate over is the AWD that I would need...also, this would be my first stick car, I hear some horror stories on new RWD drivers with decently powered cars. Do you have AIM or an email?
aim is drewb612...feel free to im me when im on
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM
DIGItonium

Horror stories come from lack of experience or just plain bad luck. The Z isn't the only one to suffer from such weather-related mishaps. I'm not a perfect driver either, but I have not had any major issues. I've driven on snow many times. Getting stuck was probably my worst situation, but I managed to get out without a scratch. It is not ideal to drive this car in the snow, and I spend more time dodging other drivers.

The Z is very fun to drive under full throttle, and it is fairly civilized. I've taken it on a short road trip, and it was surprisingly comfortable. Just make sure you have some good tunes and avoid the stock stereo haha!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Alano

Yes I know the S is more capable in the snow, which is my only concern about the swap. I guess I have alot of thinking to do, anyway, whats a realistic price on an 03 Z? Or should I try and look for one thats already modded? Im goign to do alot of research before I buy the car because I didnt on the S4. If I had waited and learned more I would have went with the 2 tone seats, sport package, etc. Ive seen some pics of 03 Bronze/Orange Z with the interior a 2 tone Orange/Black. What do you call that specifically? I know in the S its called alacantra..
Old 02-26-2007, 09:58 AM
DIGItonium

You should be able to get an '03 Z for under $20k. Avoid modded ones because you don't know half the things that were done to it, unless it's from a reputable member here. If you want to save $$, just get a stock one. It's fast enough.

The orange interior color is called "burnt orange." Just browse the Nissan site to get some ideas on the options and terminology of options and look at some photos. I wonder if the gallery section here still works.

Mine's an '03 and I don't really have much to complain or the urge to upgrade even with these new models that are out now.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Boostd4

Having come from an '01 S4 (manual) I can tell you that you will probably be pleasantly surprised by the Z. Since you are driving a Tip now, going to a manual will be 10x the fun right off the bat (I never understood why people went with Tips on the S4).

In terms of steering feel, I'd say that the Z is more responsive. There is definitely a lot less understeer and to me the S4s steering was a bit numb at times. Obviously since you'll be moving to a RWD car there is less understeer, but the Z tends to plow in certain situations...but still not as bad as the S4.

In terms of power, the S4 "felt" faster than the Z...but in hindsight I think it was the turbos that created that "rush" feeling. The S4 is a bit heavier than the Z so in terms of actual quickness, I'd say that they were relatively even.

Ultimately it comes down to what type of car you want/need. I think there will be a bit of a culture shock when you realize that your trunk space is very limited and you're losing a back seat. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it definitely takes some time to get used to it.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

FWD/AWD make a lot more sense if you live in NJ, unless you can afford college and two vehicles.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Alano

Well about the Tip part. It was my first car, and I didnt know how to drive manual, and I was hesitant on learning to drive it on an S4, plus my mom kept saying "what if I have to drive it for some reason", guess what, she never did. So its time for me to move on to a manual just like ive always wanted. Plus it looks so fun As for the 2 seats and small trunk, I can honeslty say so far, I havent used the trunk really, and my S is basically a 3 seater since barely anyone can fit behind my seat heh. As for the AWD/RWD in jersey that again, is my only concern. My father drives an expedition, my mother drives a ML Benz, so in the case I have an emergency I could take one of their cars, other then that, I barely even drive the S in the snow. Plus I think this is the last year we're going to get hit pretty hard lol. But again, Ive always loved the Z before the Audi so I really like this move. As for getting a stock one, I think that was going to be my move all the time, the only thing was I wanted stock specifics, such as Nav etc. Do all the Z's come with the 3 gauges ontop of the dash or is that an option? And can all the colors, including daytona blue get the 2 tone seats inside?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 PM
bobS

The z is really horrible in the snow. If you aren't planning on getting winter tires then forget the z in the winter. On stock tires it is just dangerous. I used to live in NJ and drive my z but i had a beater. We don't get that much snow in NJ anyway. I think you will like the z and u'll find you get just as much respect and more looks in the Z. The s4 is so plain plus your car is now a 7 year old car. Its a good time to get rid of it before the maint. really kills u.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Alano

Exactly what I'm thinking. We get 3-4 bad storms a year IF that. As for the winter, I would definatly invest in snow tires anyway. I guess my main concern now is if I can just get a decent amount for my S and get that Z!! As for the looks, anyone who doesnt see the S4 Emblem will think its a normal A4, and while it looks nice, the Z definatly stands out more, to people with no knowledge on cars, especially girls Heh. Anyway, aside from selling my S, I guess I should be looking for a Lemans Sunset with all the options I want in it, which will probably take me a long time. Any idea on how much you think a n 03 Lemans with nav, MT, and orange/black interior would cost?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
bobS

I'd say a 03 leman sunset with nav, burnt orange leather and good miles 30k or less should go for around 20-21.5K assuming the car is in absolute perfect condition. Be careful, some 03's had tire feathering problems, rear axles clicking, 6 disc changer not working right, and window grease or the window motors going out. I had a 03 touring and had the window grease which was fixed and never came back and also the rear axel clicking fixed. My 03 had no other problems and was a great car. I sold it with 50k miles on the clock for $19.5

Quick Reply: Hey guys. New to the forum. I have an 00 S4 stock, thinking about switching to the Z.