Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Midwest+Z+Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
twisty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest+Z+Daily Driver?

So I've been lusting after a Z since the day it was announced. I finally have enought money to get a car in its price range, and the only thing that is holding me back is the same thing that makes it so nice... RWD. I can't help but notice all the posts about people who have crashed their Z's in snow. Problem is, there is always an explaniation; no snow tires, stupid driving, snow storm ect. This will be my only car, and I live in the midwest. However, I won't HAVE to drive it everyday as I walk to school and work. I want to hear from all the people who drive their Z consistantly in the winter, live in the midwest and haven't crashed it. I don't want to hear from all u lucky SOBs living in socal, texas or Florida. So, if u drive a Z in the winter and live in the midwest, post please.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
racer60634

well im from chicago, and my only car is my 350z. it can be an excellent daily driver, it just takes the right tires. if you have the cash id recommend a nice set of summer and winter tires. if your like me, get a good set of all seasons. i did this last winter on summer tires and it sucked, cause u get stuck in any snow, i just ordered som continental contiextremecontact. which are suppose to be good. i say get the z if u really want it. just take extra care in the winter and snow.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM
xedes

Chicago residents here too. Just buy a set of winter tire (Blizzaks) and you'll be fine.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Barmats

I live in Minnesota and the Z Roadster is my daily driver. I run dedicated snow tires and wheels in the winter, and it's driveable in up to 3 to 4" of snow. Beyond that, it stays in the garage.

It is by far not the ideal car for a snowy climate, but it can be driven on most days. If you're careful, use common sense, and appreciate how the laws of gravity will eventually overcome any degree of electronic intervention, you should be okay. If you're doing ANY driving in snows, you must have snow tires. Not all-season tires... snow tires. If you can swing it, get VDC - it will help keep you straight on the slippery stuff.

BTW, we're getting 13 to 21" of snow between today and tomorrow. I didn't drive the Z to work.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
acelesson

"and appreciate how the laws of gravity "

I think you meant physics.

This snow storm sucks. Im sick of shoveling. Twice in one week pisses me off!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Barmats

Originally Posted by acelesson
"and appreciate how the laws of gravity "

I think you meant physics.

This snow storm sucks. Im sick of shoveling. Twice in one week pisses me off!
I'm not sure if I meant physics, so I looked it up... and found at least 3 laws of gravity. But I guess in the final analysis, we're all subject to the same forces and limitations, aren't we?

I just cleared the driveway for the 2nd time today and will do it at least once more today. It's snowing like crazy -- we've already had about 12 - 14" so far today, and there's another foot or so on the way. We'll have received about 24" by the time this is over. I'm ready for spring.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

Summer = Z

Winter = Sentra [Z safe inside garage]
Old 03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Cheezwiz

Standard all Season tires have worked wonders in the last few snow storms in St. Louis, just drive slower than everyone else. The Z will be a fine car for you. If the tire is has a M+S branded on the sidewall, they'll do fine. Dedicated snow tires would be ideal, though.

The car has a bad snow rep because they come stock with summer tires.

Last edited by Cheezwiz; 03-01-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
drivenCSZ

jersey and PA here, daily driver for over 4 years now.

this subject has been beat to death, do a search!!!! the only reason ill respond is because of the the naysayers that usually post in these threads.

the RWD is not a problem, but you NEED snow tires if you plan on driving in the winter. With the OEM potenzas you will literally not even be able to move in an inch of snow and even you do get the car moving you might as well just call a tow truck ahead of time.

With snows like blizzaks or dunlop wintersports, i have the latter, the car will handle the bad weather just as good as most other cars. The only problem you cant escape is ground clearance. The Z is low and thus doesnt give you good ground clearance so although it might be possible to drive through a foot of snow on blizzaks the clearance just wont allow for that.

if you arent going to drive in snowy conditions the stock tires even in freezing temps will do ok AS LONG AS ITS DRY OUT. You just need to be light with the throttle until they warm up.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
oclor

Hey man, I'm in Iowa. There's been snow on the ground for a couple of months now. My car (WITH SNOW TIRES!!!) drives better than my gf's explorer (not 4x4 though). Just get snow tires and you'll be fine.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Smoked

Originally Posted by xedes
Chicago residents here too. Just buy a set of winter tire (Blizzaks) and you'll be fine.
Heard great reviews of the Blizzaks.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

well, I know where you are coming from but if you filtered through all of those mostly useless posts you read, you would have noticed that many of us HAVE replied that you will do just fine with snow tires and if you have snow driving experience. Do your snow tire research carefully becuase there are some that are not much better than all seasons. I have experience with Dunlop Graspics and now Michellin X-ice in the rear. I did not do any research on the Dunlops becuase when I got the car, Discount said I had two choices only. Turns out they were rated towards the bottom of the list but I still had little to no problems. So I have to park the car at the bottom of the driveway and clear the drive before I can get up it once in awhile - big deal. Now there are more in our sizes. The X-Ice were one of last years top picks and I love them. I do notice one difference- that I can drive right up the driveway through almost anything. But, if I wasn't buying my wife a full set of new snows this year I may have splurged and got Nokian Hakkapellitas for the Z but they are $225+ for the 17" ers! Most tests show them to be one of the ultimate choices. That's what her car got- I comprimised, but apparently not by much with the Michellins. Next time I need tires I hope to put 4 Nokians on the Z.
Depending on the type of snow/weather conditions your results will vary but I have got through some stuff I thought would have stopped the Z with the ground clearance - basing those kinds of thoughts after driving a '94 Ford Probe GT for 10 years with snows - the only thing that ever stopped that car was a 15" snow storm we got one year. I only made it 2ft. out of my parking space before the snow plowed up over the rear bumper.
When it gets deep, just be sure and keep your momentum. And notice how other people are dealing with the snow around you. You'll notice that you do much better at times in a Z with good snows than other people around you.
Good luck!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 AM
azula

why not florida?? it gets kinda harsh down here sometimes....lol
Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 AM
FALLEN1z

i live in naperville illinois and the z is my only car. the car sux ***** in the snow but i wouldnt let that keep me from buying it. rwd isnt a big deal, you just have to get used to driving that type of layout. i've owned rwd since i got my permit and id rather drive rwd than fwd or awd. you just have to learn it and be careful
Old 03-02-2007, 07:00 AM
SportBikeMike

My Zs say in the garage....only the SRT-4 sees snow. I remember all the "thrills" I had with my 280ZX and RX-7 in the snow when i couldn't afford a second car. Not going thru that crap again.....
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

I drive a 4-wheel drive SUV. Can I turn it into a performance sports car by adding summer performance tires.

Last edited by davidv; 03-02-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:11 AM
I1DER

What is west about the mid-west? Isn't it east of the middle? Seriously, you can do fine by following the advice of northerners in your situation.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 AM
realcom2

I'm another chicago guy and I think the car is really bad in the snow. I'm sure patience and expereince counts for a lot but really with the cost of fixing even minor damage so great for our car it seems well worth it to just buy a 2nd beater which would be about the same cost as a typical crash which injures more than 1 panel.

I have never tried snow tires so I cant compare but the potenza arent much good in the sun. Plenty of people do it but they also probably take a lot longer to get places and debating in their head whether or not they can get small snow drift. IMO if you buy a Z you shoudl have a second car even if you want your Z to be your daily driver.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
jshin10

Originally Posted by davidv
I drive a 4-wheel drive SUV. Can I turn it into a performance sports car by adding summer performance tires.

+1!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
spljeremy

Take the money that you were going to put towards snow tires and buy a beater car/truck/suv. If you can afford a Z then you should be able to afford a $2000 beater. Plus beaters always come in handy for when you're working on the Z and need to go somewhere or any time you don't want to take the Z.

Quick Reply: Midwest+Z+Daily Driver?