Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Floored it...burning smell?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive hard, but I dont analyze---I would have to analyze to analyze. I shift with out thinking because it has become a part of me like brushing my teeth. I cant give advice other than drive and have fun and if u *** up admit it and learn from it and make modifications in your habits. Some people cant do that,EVER, some can.

The advantage I have is, as Im operating a machine, any machine, in my minds eye, I can see everything that is happening. I can see the gears turning and the syncros speeding up to get a mesh,I can see the ring and Pinion transfering power to the tires, I can see the valves opening and closing and the cam/s spinning and the pumps pumping. I know the smells of brakes,clutchs,Auto trans fluid, brake fluid,engine oil, coolants leaking.
If there is a spot on the floor I know what it is.
Point is , no reason to get that intense, I started as soon as I could take apart an Erector Set. But learn what u can and never be too quick to blame the machine, sometimes its the "machine" that operating the machine that needs to modify.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM
black06z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, its normal, from my experience, right after you push the engine hard.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
It smells like victory. Not it's the smell of victory...
Stand Corrected
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 AM
xyberai

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
But learn what u can and never be too quick to blame the machine, sometimes its the "machine" that operating the machine that needs to modify.
Too true!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM
K2bordr03

Last edited by K2bordr03; 05-28-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:28 AM
MasterRacer

Ummmm the smell your talking about isnt your friggin clutch at least from "MY" experience. I normally jump on the highway changing gears
pretty normal and take 3rd to almost 6 RPMs before shifting to 4 quick and smooth then to 5th etc and i still get that smell that your yakin about. I always thought it was just exhaust fumes cause it happens everytime you push the engine kinda hard in ANY gear. If this was your clutch you were burning trust me it would smell for days, I did that in my old Maxima and the clutch smell was in my car for at least a day or 2.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 AM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myZter
the engine is still new so u will smell burning its normal..i still smell it sometimes on my car when i go crazy with it and i have 7k on my car
+1
Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 AM
azula

extremely normal dude, as long as the smell goes away...ur straight.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I1DER

If it is a clutch smell(probably), then it is usually that there was more than the normal "slippage" when you changed gears. There is always a certain amount of slippage(it's a clutch), but that increases if more power is being put to the gears when changing, you are not rev matching well enough, or you are taking too much time letting the clutch out. Also, the more wear on a clutch, the easier it is to slip(and smell).
Look at it this way. Since it normally doesn't smell, you were doing something to the car that it didn't like. It's a warning sign, not a disaster sign.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 AM
b00b00

CRAZY MY CAR does this too!! I was wondering the same thing, but my car doesent smell through 1,2, and 3rd. It only smells from 4th on up. When I get on it. It smells horrible kinda. It dont smell like oil or anything, but a diff smell. Does this have to do with the samething? or is it something else?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
push

Originally Posted by pss350z
+1 on the clutch and also don't be skipping gears.
What's wrong with skipping gears? There are quite a few cars that come with gear skipping technology in them stock. All the ls1 powered cars for example (t/a, camaro, vette) will force you into 4th from 1st if you are driving casually to save on gas. I have skipped gears in a lot cars and never had a problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Nismo 350z

Originally Posted by bremboboy
I floored the car today in first shifted to second and then when I settled down into like 4th I could smell this horrible burning smell for like 10 seconds. I definetly wasn't choking but it was very noticable since i had both windows openWhat is this? 2006.5 Z 1200 miles.
Same thing happens in my 04 with 25K miles on it.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
acelesson

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
Same thing happens in my 04 with 25K miles on it.

Happens to my 2004 with 24k on it.

I actually made an apointment with the dealership to check it out on Thursday. Ill let you guys know whats going on.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
JonsilvZ

I have over 34k miles on my 03 Z and it does have that burning smell. I think its from the car running rich at WOT. But when you do it again a min or 2 later the smell is not there.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:29 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2006 6MT and a couple times last summer, when I had about 8k miles on the engine and the windows were down I was out having some fun and pushing it hard from 0 to 80 mph, up and down thru the gears. After I came close to redlining it in first and 2nd then coasted down I would smell what I thought to be some engine oil burning off, and after reading about all of the claims of 2006 rev-up engines consuming excess oil I was pretty sure that driving the car hard would only exascerbate that problem. Since the OP mentioned he has a 2006.5 engine, could the post-WOT smell actually be some oil burning?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
bremboboy

I don't think it was a burning oil smell but im not sure... (ill try it again later)
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 AM
xyberai

Ok, i have a theory about this. On my Z (I believe on most z's its this way?) the RPM's seem to drop and raise really slow (heavy *** flywheel?). I noticed when i gun it and shift at redline, i make it into the next gear WAY before the rpm's drop to the rpms the next gear is at (essentially not naturally rev matching). Well if i gun it and shift to the next gear and let out the clutch and gun it (for maximum speed and time), the rpms are pulled down to where the next gear is and continues on. Its about this time i smell the burning smell. However if i gun it then when shifting, wait a little while till the rpms get farther down the band THEN shift, it rev matches perfectly and no burning smell.

So is it the clutch because its engaging at such a high RPM cause the RPMS arnt dropping fast enough? I came from a Saab 900 Turbo and the RPMs would raise and drop MUCH more freely than the Z. So im thinking because of the heavy flywheel, the burning smell is from burning the clutch cause its not revmatching when upshifting fast under hard accel?

Any chance this could be it?

Last edited by xyberai; 03-07-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Nero

Originally Posted by xyberai
Ok, i have a theory about this. On my Z (I believe on most z's its this way?) the RPM's seem to drop and raise really slow (heavy *** flywheel?). I noticed when i gun it and shift at redline, i make it into the next gear WAY before the rpm's drop to the rpms the next gear is at (essentially not naturally rev matching). Well if i gun it and shift to the next gear and let out the clutch and gun it (for maximum speed and time), the rpms are pulled down to where the next gear is and continues on. Its about this time i smell the burning smell. However if i gun it then when shifting, wait a little while till the rpms get farther down the band THEN shift, it rev matches perfectly and no burning smell.

So is it the clutch because its engaging at such a high RPM cause the RPMS arnt dropping fast enough? I came from a Saab 900 Turbo and the RPMs would raise and drop MUCH more freely than the Z. So im thinking because of the heavy flywheel, the burning smell is from burning the clutch cause its not revmatching when upshifting fast under hard accel?

Any chance this could be it?
ive noticed this too when revving to redline in 1st, it takes forever to drop down in rpms to shift into 2nd smoothly. kinda annoying
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
xyberai

Originally Posted by Nero
ive noticed this too when revving to redline in 1st, it takes forever to drop down in rpms to shift into 2nd smoothly. kinda annoying
Exactly, and when getting "in" to it, who really waits on the RPMS to come down? Maybe the smell is the clutch in this scenario?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Krux

Every car I have driven including autos has had some kind of smell right after it has been pushed hard. I don't see how this could be a burning clutch in every single case especially the ones that were autos.

If some one could explain this to me, I would really like to know how this could be possible.

Quick Reply: Floored it...burning smell?!??!