Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

would you by this salvage '05 350z for 15g's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:37 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03Zilverstone
I'm sorry, I see this all the time and it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone notice anything about the bottom of this car?

If you don't notice anything go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unibody#Automobiles
Yeah, it needs a true dual exhaust.............................................
Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 AM
03Zilverstone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
Salvage title?? Just say No...
Care to elaborate? I've had a few salvaged vehicles. I've never regretted any of them.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
gothchick

Care to elaborate? I've had a few salvaged vehicles. I've never regretted any of them.
When a car is wrecked bad enough to be a salvage title, there's no tellin' what other collateral damage may have happened to the car. And no guarantee it was even fixed correctly. Who know's if they even found and fixed *all* the damage. They're only gonna fix what they have to (and what the consumer can see) to sell the car. You just got lucky that's all. I wouldn't touch a salvage title. There's no greater pleasure than chasing down phantom electrical problems a few years down the road, squeaks, alignment issues that never stay quite right, engine/ drive train anomolies, etc, etc, etc... A car is made up of thousands of parts with tight tolerences, alignments, etc. It only takes a few choice parts to fail inconspicuously to ruin your day (or mine at least).

The peace of mind knowing your ride's integrity is 100% as you hit that sweeper @ 100+ MPH = Priceless.

Edit: Now if we were talking a '97 4-door honda civic, then I'd say go for it... But not a Z.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-08-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by gothchick
When a car is wrecked bad enough to be a salvage title, there's no tellin' what other collateral damage may have happened to the car. You just got lucky that's all. I wouldn't touch a salvage title. There's no greater pleasure than chasing down phantom electrical problems a few years down the road, etc, etc, etc...
If it's done right there will be no problems. I wouldn't care to count how many cars I've fixed. The only ones you have to watch for are water damaged cars.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would only buy a salvage vehicle as a project car, and even then, it would have to be at a very low price.

For example, a salvage Z for 10 - 12k would make an excellent track car project... provided it drives straight

The reason for sticking with a low price is that the resale of a salvaged car is horrible (for obvious reasons).
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you still don't notice a 350Z does not have a frame. It's a unibody car. It has a reinforced body and a front and rear subframe. Therefore it cannot have frame damage.
Though Technically True, once that sub-frame gets damaged enough its just as bad. The way cars are glued and only spot welded in some places, you have to worry about what might have been jarred loose or cracked.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by sq40
Though Technically True, once that sub-frame gets damaged enough its just as bad. The way cars are glued and only spot welded in some places, you have to worry about what might have been jarred loose or cracked.

Yeah, but you can get a subfrae for $150 and bolt the new one up. You'd be surprised how strong today's panel adhesives are.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
CaliTouring

I'm sorry, I see this all the time and it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. Does anyone notice anything about the bottom of this car?

If you don't notice anything go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unibody#Automobiles

If you still don't notice a 350Z does not have a frame. It's a unibody car. It has a reinforced body and a front and rear subframe. Therefore it cannot have frame damage.
o **** my dad was right! i didnt beileve him lol.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
HighwaySpeed

No.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
rythex

I have a salvage 350Z that my dad and I repaired, it was for myself.. I don't regret buying a salvage car.. but I know how we repaired it... and if anything falls apart it's my fault

If you buy something that is a salvage vehicle and been repaired, you don't know how well it was put back together. :P
Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 PM
kizzzottt

Rule #1- Find out what happened to the car and what was repaired. More than likely it was stolen at one point.

Rule #2- The people that buy insurance cars...ie- auction salvage cars- buy them normally for about ~33% of trade in value. That means that after they fix the car they generally have about 50% of trade in actually in the car. So, if the guy selling the car is a dealer, he's probally making 4-5K at $15K for it. If the damage was not substaintial and you want a Z for cheap, negotiate the price to something you feel comfortable with.

Rule #3- Make sure the repairs were done right and make sure the car drives good.

Rule #4- If you buy it, do lots and lots of donuts in it the first day...you'll feel much better about your purchase!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Deftones

No.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:31 PM
MR_X

$15k for salvage is a lot. I picked my 04 enthusiast with 36k miles for $16k.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
03Zilverstone

Originally Posted by MR_X
$15k for salvage is a lot. I picked my 04 enthusiast with 36k miles for $16k.
Yeah, but this is an '05 with probably just a few thousand miles.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM
HollywoodTuner

Hey guys 1st post! Im in the same boat, Im looking at an 05 350z with 13k Miles on it for 15k. It has exhaust looks good from a far....far from perfect. Not to happy about the paint it has dull spots and the hood doesnt line up and the trunk lid is alittle off. He wants 15 im going to tell him 13k is the most I will spend. Its blue lowest level Z. I Love the leather interoir in 350's but the car im looking at is cloth. Im thinking I should just wait and find a more expensive car thats not salvaged but money is an issue.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:21 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Don't buy a salvage title anything!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
keosh

i wouldnt buy anything salvaged unless you expect to do some wort of swap engine like for example on a 85 supra celica ( might do that )
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No. I own a 350Z.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 AM
WCoon

Well, I bought a Salvage title car from a impounded car auction. It was a theft recovery and the only thing I had to replace were the keys, ignition, a front fender, and some wheels. It was a 2000 Audi S4 with 84k miles, I paid $6300 for it two years ago. I sold it last year for $12k!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HollywoodTuner
Hey guys 1st post! Im in the same boat, Im looking at an 05 350z with 13k Miles on it for 15k. It has exhaust looks good from a far....far from perfect. Not to happy about the paint it has dull spots and the hood doesnt line up and the trunk lid is alittle off. He wants 15 im going to tell him 13k is the most I will spend. Its blue lowest level Z. I Love the leather interoir in 350's but the car im looking at is cloth. Im thinking I should just wait and find a more expensive car thats not salvaged but money is an issue.

If money is an issue... DON'T BUY A Z!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's crazy how many people post here asking "what's the lowest price I can get this car for", "I barely have enough money for the cheapest Z I can find". You're going to buy an 05 that ALREADY has panels that don't line up? A lot of people here have problems affording regular maintenance such as winter tires and so forth, and you're going to buy someone else's bumper car? If he took such care of the body, I wonder how the engine runs. Consider the fact that the hood AND trunk don't line up. That either means he was in one hell of a single accident or multiple ones.

Anyways, back to topic. Salvage can mean lots of things. It doesnt mean the car has been in an accident. I had a friend who bought a salvage integra because it had been stripped of its rims, seats, etc. The dealer had replaced all the missing pieces with oem parts and sold it.

Quick Reply: would you by this salvage '05 350z for 15g's?