Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Caught in surprise snowfall, scary >_<;;

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:14 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caught in surprise snowfall, scary >_<;;

My sister is in town and the weather was nice, so I let her take my winter beater to go visit all her friends. I in turn took the Zed to a house party.

Everything was going great until I saw it start to lightly snow. My first mistake was not to leave right away, I stayed for another hour and got nervous and told them I should go now or I wouldn't be getting home this night.

It was the scariest drive of my life. I never went above 40km/hour, had to put the hazard lights on. A couple of time I thought it was going to turn out to be a very expensive night out. I was slipping and sliding all over the place. scariest moments were the stopping. My second mistake was to take the less busy street to avoid faster cars that might pressure me to go faster from behind, but then I had to deal with roads that weren't used so more slippery.

I had summer tires on, but still, I can't believe how dangerous it was. I don't know how winter tires would of faired. Gawd, I can't believe how happy I am to be home on a Saturday night.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 PM
drivenCSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tires make all the difference...no doubt about it.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM
tranceformer95

Glad to hear you and your Z got home safe. I've learned my lesson that way too.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Enthuzz

I recently bought my Z... I Thought "Hey, I drove my turbo mr2 in the snow plenty of times safely, this couldn't be nearly as bad as that." Boy was I wrong... I got stuck in the middle of the street in front of my house for 10min. I'll never drive with with snow/sleet on the roads EVER again. Worst car I've ever seen in the snow hands down.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:32 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see a happy ending, not another damaged Z.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 AM
FastZ33

lol i had my shares in that condition lol AND some black ice. wow soooooooooooooo bad
Old 03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
bobS

I had the same thing happen to me. I drove from my house in NJ into phillly to visit a friend, the weather said 20 percent chance of snow. I woke up to 2 inches and it was still snowing, i had to drive back to nj and still don't know how i didn't wreck going over those bridges and overpasses. I bought a beater.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 AM
jtabraham

My TCS and Dunlop Graspics Snow tires are what got me home yesterday through 50 miles of unplowed roads.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 AM
6SPD Z33

All I hear are horror stories about how people were scared sh!tless driving their Z in the snow. Never had a problem in mine. Of course I learned to drive in the snow in a 91 S-10. Thing was a sled on wheels.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 AM
bobS

Originally Posted by 6SPD Z33
All I hear are horror stories about how people were scared sh!tless driving their Z in the snow. Never had a problem in mine. Of course I learned to drive in the snow in a 91 S-10. Thing was a sled on wheels.
No offense but i just can't believe it when people say that. If your on stock or summer tires, no matter how good of a driver you are, you have to admit this car is way worse than most rear wheel drive cars. My first car was a bmw which was rear wheel drive and had traction control. It was wayyyyyy better than my Z. Like night and day.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:58 AM
SargentZ

You live in Canada and have summer tires? man..those two just don't go together. Get some Blizzaks friend
Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

3,127,963 Thread...

350Z + Snow = Oh Sh*t, Oops, I should not have, The damage is, Etc.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 AM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by 6SPD Z33

i dont care how good of a driver you are, you arent driving with summer tires in the snow. And if you are good luck, you'll be the next "i wrecked my Z thread". The car wont even move in an inch of snow
Old 03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Scarab440

Originally Posted by jtabraham
My TCS and Dunlop Graspics Snow tires are what got me home yesterday through 50 miles of unplowed roads.
I also Did a 50 mile trek home in MA (unplowed surface streets)on Graspics they were incredible! up hills that other cars were skating down (but trying to go up).. it was an adventure the car did great! You Just need to drive carfully and have to right tools for the job and the Z can hold its own in the white stuff!

Last edited by Scarab440; 03-17-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Jyoder7

Originally Posted by Enthuzz
I recently bought my Z... I Thought "Hey, I drove my turbo mr2 in the snow plenty of times safely, this couldn't be nearly as bad as that." Boy was I wrong... I got stuck in the middle of the street in front of my house for 10min. I'll never drive with with snow/sleet on the roads EVER again. Worst car I've ever seen in the snow hands down.

It's not the car that is bad in the snow it's the tires.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 AM
ZlleH

The weather has been really great for the past week, that's why I took the Zed out to drive on the nice days and drive my winter beater on the bad days. My sister flew into town, and I didn't want her to take the bus all over town to visit her friends. So I let her take the winter beater while I took the 350Z to the house party(and that is the reason why I had the Zed out with summer tires). Got to the party with great weather, chilly but dry. Then it started to "lightly snow", those are dangerous words to me now.

On another note, speaking of Canada. I kind of understand why Canada doesn't sell BASE model 350Z up here. It would be a crime to sell a 350Z with no Traction Control System up here, because my slip light was going off every couple of minutes. If I didn't have TCS, It would have been a very expensive evening.

Originally Posted by SargentZ
You live in Canada and have summer tires? man..those two just don't go together. Get some Blizzaks friend

Last edited by ZlleH; 03-17-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:35 AM
cfdemarco

Never driven my Z in the snow, but when I had my Camaro I took it out on snow covered roads once...talk about nerve-racking. And Camaros have a much worse weight distribution than the Z does. I was scared ****less. Luckily both the vehicle and myself made it home undamaged, and since then I would not attempt to drive a RWD sports car in the snow.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 AM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by Scarab440
I also Did a 50 mile trek home in MA (unplowed surface streets)on Graspics they were incredible! up hills that other cars were skating down (but trying to go up).. it was an adventure the car did great! You Just need to drive carfully and have to right tools for the job and the Z can hold its own in the white stuff!

Glad to hear you made it home safe last night Jon! Most of my driving was on the mass pike, and there were at least a half dozen cars off the road. I stopped to help a couple kids who slid off into a ditch in their Camry. The kid driving was asking if I had a cable and if I could pull him out with my Z (mind you the ditch was probably 7 ft deep and a 30 degree incline)

I told him to sit tight and wait for a wrecker to come.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:32 PM
tlox

Yea the weather really turned for the worse last night for us too. I had to leave this morning, no plows had touched anything. I GOT PNWED by the snow today. I put her in a ditch. Not a good way to welcome spring
Old 03-17-2007, 06:33 PM
tlox

PS, I was in my winter car too..

Quick Reply: Caught in surprise snowfall, scary >_<;;