Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Caught in surprise snowfall, scary >_<;;

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's driving around on snow tires here? How comfortable/confident are you driving on snow with them? I've never experienced snow tires, so I'd like to know what it's like. With summer tires, feathering the gas will break traction and induce oversteer. How much of a difference is there with oversteer and rear-traction with snow tires?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by Scarab440
I also Did a 50 mile trek home in MA (unplowed surface streets)on Graspics they were incredible! up hills that other cars were skating down (but trying to go up).. it was an adventure the car did great! You Just need to drive carfully and have to right tools for the job and the Z can hold its own in the white stuff!
+2 on the 50-mile winter treks in MA...Had to take the Z home from work in that driving snowstorm yesterday, but the Blizzaks handled it just fine. Drove past three one-car accidents on 495...they were all SUVs. LOL.

Like Jyoder7 said a few posts ago...it's not the car, it's the tires.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:53 PM
(K)

I was on RTE 24, not as bad as 495 but it was two lanes and unplowed. How fun was that at 7PM to watch civics and accords drive past me at near speed limit while i was slinking on the crown at half that speed. I JUST put away my snow tires when it got warm on Wednesday. Lo and behold, come the weekend I'm shovelling snow and driving the camry around instead.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Steve_03

Originally Posted by jtabraham
My TCS and Dunlop Graspics Snow tires are what got me home yesterday through 50 miles of unplowed roads.

+1 on the TCS and Graspics!

Boiler up!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Sleeper01

drove all day yesterday snow was crazy in NY but ohhh welll Snow tires help but it was scary though didnt go pass 30mph on the highway
Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Scarab440

Originally Posted by (K)
I was on RTE 24, not as bad as 495 but it was two lanes and unplowed. How fun was that at 7PM to watch civics and accords drive past me at near speed limit while i was slinking on the crown at half that speed. I JUST put away my snow tires when it got warm on Wednesday. Lo and behold, come the weekend I'm shovelling snow and driving the camry around instead.
talk about bad timing!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 AM
CelticPride2

Originally Posted by (K)
That's why my Blizzaks never come off before April, no matter how tempting the temperatures may get. It may suck having snow tires mounted on an unexpectedly beautiful day, but getting stranded someplace sucks a million times more.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:36 AM
jOeL350z

i had the same situation like urs..when i first got my s2k i thought the car is small that it will be stable on snow and tires are wider that its better...it was totally opposite of what i thought, i drove the car from my place which normally take 25-30 mins, it ended up being almost 2 hours and the car was driving sideways whenever i step on the snow...but im glad the car made it safe and that made me get another winter beater...in spite of all that, im still inlove with rear wheel drive cars...best car ive ever owned eventhough they suck on snow days...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:43 AM
damon75

Dude ...I never.... ever take the Z outta the Garage without checking the weather network ... sis woulda have to take da bus
Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Steve_03

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Who's driving around on snow tires here? How comfortable/confident are you driving on snow with them? I've never experienced snow tires, so I'd like to know what it's like. With summer tires, feathering the gas will break traction and induce oversteer. How much of a difference is there with oversteer and rear-traction with snow tires?

Put it this way I had my summer tires on and we got a light dusting I barely made it out of my parking spot and to work less than a mile away. Snow tires went on the next weekend and we got 12" of snow. I was driving as it was coming down and we had 4" already on the ground and on the unplowed streets I'd take it slow and I never once saw my slip light come on. Granted I could of punched it and gotten my back end to break lose, but it never did unexpectedly.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
v8sryummy

yea i just got my 350z 2 days ago and here on long island we were hit with an ice storm and me and my friend has to drive it 30 miles on the expressway. def the wort experience of my life every light we had to stop and go the car would instantly turn sideways very scary. looks like the z is goanna stay stock while i save up for a winter beater
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by cfdemarco
Never driven my Z in the snow, but when I had my Camaro I took it out on snow covered roads once...talk about nerve-racking. And Camaros have a much worse weight distribution than the Z does. I was scared ****less. Luckily both the vehicle and myself made it home undamaged, and since then I would not attempt to drive a RWD sports car in the snow.
I drive every winter in the Camaro.. what's the big deal??
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I1DER

OP, I can't believe you were surprised after all the time you've spent on this forum. But there is nothing like that first experience with a Z on summer tires in the snow. I know. I got caught in exactly the same way. Hills are impossible.