Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z/G review today

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Z/G review today

Today was beautiful at 78 degrees and perfect ZR weather. My fiancee and I are talking about changing our car situation so today seemed lika good day to go look. My fiancee thinks she would like a Z but since we decreasing the number of vehicles we own and have a son, a ZR and coupe just don't make sense to me but I guess its not just me so a looking we go.

The following were my impressions so far of what I drove. I also was able to make a comparison of the different Z/G engines from 05, 06, and 07. I drove an 05 Z and and a 05 G. I have a 06 ZR so the other car I drove was an 07 enthusiast Z. The 05 Z was a base and felt a little spartan but the car felt good. I test drove the G next and it was loaded or semed to be. It had all the little electronic toys G's have but most important it had the 19 inch wheels and sport suspension. This car felt the most sluggish of the bunch but the one thing that the infiniti does by choice I assume, is it isolates the passengers from outside noise very well. Last I drove an 07 Z enthusiast coupe. The sound above 5k rpm is deep and menacing and though I don't know any definite acceleration numbers it accelerates faster. How much I don't know because how much is real and how much is sound.

Summarizing stock for stock the Z has gotten progressively stronger. Obvious statement I realize, but if you drive them back to back you can actually judge the difference.The difference is there from a dig between the DE, RevUp and the HR but becomes real evident from 50 mph to 90 mph. The 06enthusiast roadster has power seats and I assumed the enthusiast coupe did as well. Either they had the 07 coupe stickered wrong or my assumption was wrong. The interior looked like a base, but now that I think about it, I can't remember the steering wheel controls were there or not. My initial reason for going was to drive the Z with the backseat otherwise known as the G. I will say that without a doubt, it suffers from weight by far more than my 06. Now granted I have the Nismo exhaust and the G starts out as 2 HP down already. So maybe max there is a 8-10 chp, that does not account for the diffence in acceleration of the G and my ZR. I would guess they are similar in weight but that is a guess. Also if the sound is part of the joy of your Z, then the G is a letdown as the cabin disconnects the sound. I have heard from some that the G with the performance package handles as well as the Z. Either the dealer lied about the presence of the performance tuned suspension or it simply does not handle as well as the Z.

The want/need of a rear seat and trunk led me to try out the G. What the C has done is reopen the door as to what to choose. When you consider what they want for a G, I can buy brand new. Regardless I think everyone ought to try to test these different packages back to back. Its thought provoking if nothing else especially if you are a bench racer talking about what version is faster