Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I hate the rain..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 AM
TUNER350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man glad to hear that you are okay...do you have gap insurance?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

your car will be a total loss, dont let them fix it.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 AM
S8ER95Z

Dear god ... Are the tires the cause of these rain accidents??? I have cheap Kumho ECSTA Supra 245/50 R16s and never really had an issue with heavy rains and I have more of a chance of breaking the tires loose than you guys. WTH?? Are you using cruise control in the rain or something?? I just sit in 6th gear all the time and never had a problem.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by budweiser4me
The tires are Nitto NT555s and probly 10k or so decently hard miles on them.
Doh..explains the whole thing... I have friends with Nittos that won't even drive home from a store if it starts sprinkling. Brave man!
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Dear god ... Are the tires the cause of these rain accidents??? I have cheap Kumho ECSTA Supra 245/50 R16s and never really had an issue with heavy rains and I have more of a chance of breaking the tires loose than you guys. WTH?? Are you using cruise control in the rain or something?? I just sit in 6th gear all the time and never had a problem.
No. Tires do not cause accidents. You can push any tire too far. There are tires that are better in the rain than others.

I urge also 350Z drivers with new tires to test the tires. Find a big empty parking lot in the rain. Drive figure eights. This will give you an idea what to expect in an emergency.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
No. Tires do not cause accidents. You can push any tire too far. There are tires that are better in the rain than others.

I urge also 350Z drivers with new tires to test the tires. Find a big empty parking lot in the rain. Drive figure eights. This will give you an idea what to expect in an emergency.
It would be hard to find a parking lot with a 63 mph crest with enough water to hydroplane…

Still, you’re right. Drive slowly enough to give time to the water to get displaced and you can drive on slicks in the rain.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Richy350Z

Time for the '07!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this was a hydroplane incident at the crest of a hill, more likely just a loss of traction due to wet greasy tires.

Chris
Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 AM
S8ER95Z

Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Κράτος αστυνομίας
Banned

Originally Posted by berferd
This is the most dangerous time period, just after it starts to rain. The oil and grease on the road has not yet been washed off and the road becomes very slick. The road becomes less slippery after it has been raining for a while. Best of luck with the insurance company.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
AUtigers350z

I am thinking if it gets totalled I will just buy this..

http://www.warehousemotors.com/store/item.asp?id=253

Old 04-02-2007, 04:40 PM
chriskabobbers

wow that is terrible! im so sorry =(
Old 04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
wckdclw

its gonna be a total.....rear body panel....both quarters are damaged...probably the trunk floor......lights bumper crash bar and anything else unseen......good luck on a new car though
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 PM
BebeGurl273

Originally Posted by Nexx
ive never felt "phenomenon" before. anytime ive felt the car loose any sort of traction in the rain, it was due to my driving error. your car shouldnt just loose its back end cause of rain. ive felt my car hydro planning but getting off the gas and letting her regain traction is pretty much common sense. when i was 17 i spun out in water because i was an idiot and gased her pretty hard around a turn. i dont buy it when people just blame the car. in anycase glad you are alive and well. hopefully she gets fixed up.
Dammit, it's lose not loose!!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
AUtigers350z

Oh yeah, one more thing. I also noticed the exhaust is really mangled up from the wreck. Is it possible when the exhaust slammed into the guardrail or whatever it hit that it had enough force behind it to damage y-pipe/test pipes/headers? Also, from inside the car it looked like the trunk was smashed up because my cargo mat was pushed up by the spare. Sigh.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
alan86

yea the rain scares the **** outta me, im used to driving it now, i just use 25% throttle and no spin at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
tmak26b

I hate to be negative here, but why not work on the driver rather than blaming the car or just the tires? Your car and tires can only do so much before they give out, learn how to react before something happens. Please do it for yourself and help keep my insurance coverage down too. My insurance had been on the rise every year because the Z are rated more and more dangerous due to people keep wrecking them. If you have trouble controlling the car, take the time to learn how to use it. Don't just push it like an idiot and put yourself and everyone around you in danger.

I don't mean to be negative, but it's just honest opinion.

TCS actually cuts engine power to control wheel spin. It's actually quite an annoying tool as it always kick in for no reason. I found it to be more hazardous than useful, I always hit the button when I start driving the car. As they state, it is a driver's aid. It is not a must have.

I have done some crazy things in my Z before, but I don't remember the last time I spun it on the street. I have gotten stuck in the snow before, but I never spun on it at all.

Originally Posted by angelzhope720
hope everything works out. i'm really curious about Z's without VDC. i can't say how many times it's saved my rear end. does TCS cut power to the engine much like VDC? i heard it just messes with your brakes.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
cqntialstarco

and don't drink and drive, because you might spill your drink
Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 PM
AUtigers350z

Originally Posted by tmak26b
I hate to be negative here, but why not work on the driver rather than blaming the car or just the tires? Your car and tires can only do so much before they give out, learn how to react before something happens. Please do it for yourself and help keep my insurance coverage down too. My insurance had been on the rise every year because the Z are rated more and more dangerous due to people keep wrecking them. If you have trouble controlling the car, take the time to learn how to use it. Don't just push it like an idiot and put yourself and everyone around you in danger.

I don't mean to be negative, but it's just honest opinion.

TCS actually cuts engine power to control wheel spin. It's actually quite an annoying tool as it always kick in for no reason. I found it to be more hazardous than useful, I always hit the button when I start driving the car. As they state, it is a driver's aid. It is not a must have.

I have done some crazy things in my Z before, but I don't remember the last time I spun it on the street. I have gotten stuck in the snow before, but I never spun on it at all.
I appreciate your constructive criticism, but I know how to drive my car. I can control my Z very well in most situations and I am decent at drifting so I know how to control slides. My wreck yesterday happened so fast and sliding out on a state highway on accident is much harder to react than sliding out on purpose in a parking lot. Obviously, going up a hill you would give it a little more gas than if you were coasting down a hill, but right when i got to the top of the hill, my tires lost traction and it threw the back end around so fast there wasn't much time to react. I've personally never been in a wreck before and it was somewhat of a shock to me. In that situation my brain wasn't calmly thinking about how to correct the spin. You don't realize until it's happening to you how quickly your life or someone elses could be taken and it is quite a scary feeling. Granted I drive my Z hard sometimes, I know the limits. Driving hard in the rain is just stupid and something I would expect a 16 year old who just got handed a fast car to do. The reason insurance rates are so high on the Z is because either mommy and daddy buy their 15/16 year old one for their first car without giving them time to properly learn how to drive or people act stupid and street race or try to show off to their friends. Obviously I was the one driving the car so I'm not going to try and blame the wreck on someone else, but it isnt like I was speeding or doing anything stupid of which resulted in the wreck. The best drivers in the world have accidents, hints the name.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bottom line, accidents happen...

Quick Reply: I hate the rain..