Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Roody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm actually considering the RSX-S. It has a decent engine and a very nice interior. It's FWD, which I'm not too happy about, but what the heck, it's a nice car. And I can find a used one very cheap!

RSX-S is now added to the mix. WRX, 350z, and RSX Type S are now the options. I'm leaning towards the WRX Wagon for practicality's sake as well as the added safety of AWD in the bad conditions.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Saikou

You can never be too young or even too old for a Z! Don’t let your age keep you from getting something you want. Just thing carefully about what you want and go for it! I believe that as long as you a safe, responsible, and mature individual. Your age should not hinder you in anyway. I myself am 18, and I feel I am much more mature than many much much older people I know. Just remember always drive safely and be aware of what is happening on the road. Please do not add to wrecked Z's on this forum.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

first car should always be a beater. something you can learn how to drive and take car of, i wish i would have gone this route. silly me had a new 1992 mustang 5.0 by the time i was 16. bad, mistake, very very bad mistake.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
DJShan209

I would go AWD if your considering Auto X...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome. I am sorry but you are 16 years old and cannot buy a vehicle in the state of New York.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're serious about autocrossing, get the S2K.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 PM
TheGest

get the civic si for a first car and enjoy it, when you turn 20, get a rwd sports car
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Age argument aside. If I were in your shoes I would probably go for the WRX since you have to deal with snow. I've been in a g35c in light snow, and it absolutely sucked (at least with the stock tires). If you don't mind dealing with the snow, and really want to be competitive in auto-x, I'd go for the s2k. If you just want to have fun in auto-x and don't care about snow get the Z.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Unheralded

Insurance for a 16yr old on a Z has got to be outrageous.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Quijano187

wait , wait , wait a damn mintue. FIRST OFF, you say your looking for a car? Im guessing this is going to be your first car? I have a simple question for you? If you say your not going to be racing and you need a daily driver, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SELLING A 04 TAHOE? Last time i checked, THATS are great daily driver shhhh i wish i hadd it, im rocking a 99 corrolla with 250,000 miles for a daily driver.

I feel like i have to say this but You my friend make me sick. Your parents worked hard to pay off a 04 tahoe. YOur a spoiled **** and have no idea of a hards day work. I'd said that cause your only 16 years old. How can you have the ***** to sell a car that your nevered even payed for? I bet your never even payed for gas..

I feel bad for in a way. YOu just really have no clue. ANd please dont tell you earned it cause whatever you thinked youve earned is nothing, ITS somthing your suppoed to do.

Damn man i worked 4 months for 5 bucks and change to get my first car... I worded the whole summer to buy 500 dollar crx and to have my insurance paid off in year full adavance.. I had to do that cause school came first.

I hope your parents change their mind and make you work for it..

Last edited by Quijano187; 04-19-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unheralded
Insurance for a 16yr old on a Z has got to be outrageous.
Depends on what part of NY and other things, but yeah, I would imagine it'd be pretty high.

Honestly, I would get either the WRX or RSX-S/Civic Si. Any of those are great auto-crossing cars.

I learned to auto-x/race in a Honda Prelude and its a good way to start and get fundamentals down. For someone with no prior driving experience at all, I think the S2k or the Z is a bad idea.

Plus racing habits get expensive. Haha.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Quijano187

i forget to answer the question HELLLLLLLL NO!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
TurboTrey

I think if you want an autocross car you should keep the Tahoe and save up to get something else. When you are flipping cars for no real reason you are going to be giving up a lot of money to do that. If you have a $20k Tahoe and want a $20 WRX you will be getting $18k for the Tahoe and giving $22k for the WRX.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
phideltpowder

To the OP. I would suggest that you either stick with your 04 Tahoe or get the WRX. I'm 22(in a month) and have a 03 Legacy sedan. I love that car, but I'm going to be selling it for a Z when I get a job after graduation. When I was 16 I drove a piece of crap 90 Honda Accord. I didn't street race, cause well I couldn't, it had no ***** what-so-ever. But I also have my 1962 Porsche 356 C which my father and I have been restoring. I took that out as my fun car when the weather was perfect for special occasions. Honestly, that car was too much for me when I was 16. I was always scared to push it hard in the corners even though it defiantly can handle it. That car only puts out about 96 HP. There is no way I could have handled the power of a Z (287 HP) at that age. You say that you'll never street race, and be safe all of the time. I "totaled" my Honda when I was driving like a granny around a corner and hit a patch of black ice, went through a fence did about $2500 worth of damage, I then had to work my a$$ off for the money. There is no way to tell what you're going to encounter on the road. Honestly, the Z is a sports car, and unless you've been driving for a while, you are most likely going to put that car, and more importantly yourself, in danger. Go the safe route and stick with a car that isn't going to go THAT fast unless you want it to.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And I've never heard of someone flipping a car in auto-x, though I'm sure it has happened. Auto-xing you never go much faster than 60-70 and usually for a very short time.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Roody

Reasons for selling the Tahoe:
-Gas mileage. Averages 13.5 MPG.
-Size...the truck is monstrous!
-Roll-over...even at low speeds it feels like it's tipping.
-Can't AutoX a Tahoe!
-Did I mention the horrendous gas mileage?

EDIT: I repeat, I AM NOT spoiled! Don't make me out to be something I'm not!
Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Armitage
And I've never heard of someone flipping a car in auto-x, though I'm sure it has happened. Auto-xing you never go much faster than 60-70 and usually for a very short time.
i think that poster meant flipping as in buying/selling.

to the OP, the WRX seems like the most logical choice. go for the sti though..
Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
zeekle

Originally Posted by Roody
-Can't AutoX a Tahoe!

Well you got it a lot better than most at your age. I mean you got a 3 year old expensive SUV given to you to do with what you want. You have more car now than I had till I was in my 30s

That being said, My first car was a RWD car and it was a PITA. I must admit that luck saved my life during those first years. If I had a kid I wouldn't let them have a RWD car till they put some serious time in a FWD/AWD

I was mature and followed the rules and didn't speed but still crap happens on the road and without some time behind the wheel you are just asking for trouble.

Rain was is much more do deal with at that age not to mention SNOW. Luckily down in the south it is rare to get snow or ICE. You are in the middle of the ICE belt.

Theres a post on page one here talking about how the 350Z is at the top of the death charts... its not a Car for those that
Old 04-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Rcrapp74

Originally Posted by Roody
-Can't AutoX a Tahoe!

Youre not spoiled? youre getting a free car, then your going to sell it. Sounds like free unearned money from your parents, which would be in my opinion spoiled.
if i were you i would stick with the suv and learn to drive with that.

Quick Reply: 350z a good choice for me?