Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:51 PM
ttuberz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the car when you are a few years older. Don't say all the responsible crap because w/ a 350z and a 16 year old brain your going to mess around with that car. I know because I was in the same shoes as you. Get a civic si or something first. just my 2 cents
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
jmunzing
Z

Personally, I've liked the Z since I've been 16 also. (18 in June)

If you do trade in the Tahoe and get mommy/daddy to buy you a Z how are you going to continue to pay for it? Even if you don't have monthly payments, gas and insurance alone will kill you, specially if your a male. Unless, of course, mommy and daddy are going to pay it for you.

You also have maintenance costs for the car on top of that. (Oil, tires, brakes, etc.)

I'm not saying this to 'flame' you or anything of that sort. Just stating some obvious things that do get overlooked sometimes.

- - - - -

I'm 17 working as part time while finishing High School and a used Z is still out of my reach a little, but it is possible. I'm a Molecular Assistant in a Laboratory in Newark, DE. ($15/hour)

I currently drive a 2000 Intrepid.

Last edited by jmunzing; 04-19-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 PM
SB04

if you plan on driving year round in NY....forget the Z....unless you have other form of transportation in the winter
Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
SB04

you can put blizzaks on it, but, winter driving will still beat the crap out of it
Old 04-19-2007, 08:34 PM
SB04

I say keep the Tahoe...save your $$ and get the Z or WRX a year or more down the road
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
slambball88

its not what everyone else wants or thinks, its what you want and think. It is your money and your life. You have to make choices throughout your life as you get older and older and you cant depend on what a bunch of strangers have to say.

only 4% of the people here will give you a decent reply and 3.8% of those probably havent even viewed your post.

later
Old 04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Korki Buchek

Originally Posted by Strider619
here's my advice: Purchase a beater where you can learn the basic fundamentals of driving in a car and on the street, i know you're saying that you wont street race but the temptation will be there once someone tries to rev at you. And all it takes is one simple miscalculation to get into an accident, possibly injuring or even killing yourself or others around you. Save your money for now, study and work hard.. eventually you'll know when you're ready. (hopefully)
Hit it on the head. I drove an '87 Toyota all through high school and, as much as I hated not having a nice car, it was the perfect car at the time. First of all, you'll drive like a grandma for all of about 3 hours. Then one buddy will try to drag race you and that will fly out the window. I used to race constantly. But the thing is, you're racing a car with 150 hp rather than 300 hp. I had several close calls and a few serious problems even with that, I can't imagine doubling the horsepower, I would probably have wrapped it around a phone pole or tree.

You also get to learn the limits of the car, what works, and what will throw a rod. You don't want to do that when a) the car is about $30k, and b) you're parents are going to have to pay for fixing it. Trust me, they won't be happy if you come home and tell them you burned your clutch to the rivets trying to impress some girl. In the beater you can push it as hard as it will go and still not be (that) dangerous and not actually lose control.

But, all of this doesn't really matter because you're 16 and are going to have a significant amount of money for a car. So, when buy the Z (or the others) try to be responsible with it.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 PM
rlw222

Originally Posted by Strider619
here's my advice: Purchase a beater where you can learn the basic fundamentals of driving in a car and on the street, i know you're saying that you wont street race but the temptation will be there once someone tries to rev at you. And all it takes is one simple miscalculation to get into an accident, possibly injuring or even killing yourself or others around you. Save your money for now, study and work hard.. eventually you'll know when you're ready. (hopefully)

Best advice you can get
Old 04-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Casanova

Originally Posted by Roody
What's up guys? I'm 16 and extremely interested in the 350z. I'm curious about owning a 350z Coupe. This coming summer, my parents are going to give me my mom's '04 Chevy Tahoe, which I will be allowed to sell. (Note: Before continuing, keep in mind that I'm an extremely responsible kid. I will NEVER street race, and I will always obey the speed limits. Also, I'm not a stuck-up rich kid...I'm very thankful for what I have). So, I'm thinking of buying a used car that I can drive daily and eventually turn into an AutoCross racer. I'm considering the 350z, S2000, Subaru WRX (Wagon), Acura RSX Type S / Honda Civic Si (I group them together because they have the same engine), Camaro, and Mustang. I'm leaning towards a used 350z Coupe because of the looks, I've heard that it's very easy to live with, and they sound amazing. So what do you guys think? I really appreciate any input! THANKS!
Ofcourse u can get the Z man... for $40,000 its a fkn Nick... its a cheap *** car but it does the job... right boyz
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
VQ35GANGSTAR

heh heh you said 350z coupe heh heh.. you mean the altima?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
03Zilverstone

My first vehicle was a '96 GMC Sonoma. Nearly 250 ft. lbs. and 185 HP. Not a lot, but it was rwd and a truck. So it was real light in the rear. I never had a problem with it. I'm not going to lie I went faster than I should have, but I knew when to slow down. I still have it, but I got a '99 Eclipse RS my senior year. FWD sucks. Torque steer is awful in bad weather. I've drove my dad's Z (mine's not titled yet, since I'm still doing a few body things to it) numerous times in the rain. Not once have I ever lost it. I've been scared by the Eclipse more times than I can count. I drove a modded LT1/M6 Trans Am a few times and never had a problem when it was wet. This is long, but what I'm trying to say is you can wreck in a Festiva and kill yourself. The car has little to do with it, it's mostly in the driver. Get what you feel like, but take it easy and be mature.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Roody

Thanks for the constructive replies, guys. Thanks for keeping me away from the Z. I know that I wouldn't do anything stupid, but it sounds like RWD would be a bad configuration for my first car.

So now that that's out of the way, what would you guys suggest? RSX Type S, Civic Si, or WRX Wagon? I'm definitely not keeping the Tahoe. It may be "safe" because of its size, but it's negatives are enough to make me not want it. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:16 PM
gnar-Z

Note to TC: in the future, never post your age if you are 16. or 17 for that matter. even 18 is a risk. You will (as you have noticed) be eaten alive.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 PM
infamous350

Why dont you just get a regular wrx not a wagon lol? Why do you want a wagon? if i were you i think i would go with Wrx as my first choice then the rsx and civic if all else fails. Why would you want a wagon ur nutz. A z is defitnly not good for you wait atleast 2 years of driving then maybe a Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Guy

Originally Posted by infamous350
Why dont you just get a regular wrx not a wagon lol? Why do you want a wagon? if i were you i think i would go with Wrx as my first choice then the rsx and civic if all else fails. Why would you want a wagon ur nutz. A z is defitnly not good for you wait atleast 2 years of driving then maybe a Z.

My friend got a wsx wagon, and loved it. He could pack surf boards, snowboards, camp gear... anything in it without worries, and it never gave any problems. If you actually want a practical vehicle that can go anywhere and do anything the wagon is amazing. It'll never give problems, and you'll never be inconvenienced by it. It's fun and the only thing lacking is bling appeal.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Roody

Reasons for a WRX Wagon:
-More practical...
-Can hold more.
-Easy cargo access (SUV like).
-I like how they look.
-I can put on a "You just got beat by a wagon!" sticker.
-Etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 PM
kPaNdA350

Originally Posted by Roody
Trust me, guys, in no way, shape, or form will I abuse the power of the car. I'll be driving it like a grandma to tell the truth. Anything to be safe.

Now I know I sounded dumb coming onto this board and asking if the Z is a good car, but you can't beat the opinion of the people who own it!

I'm staying away from the RSX and Civic because they're FWD, and I'm not a fan of it. The Mustang and Camaro are awesome also, but to me they seem more like bare-bones, all-about-horsepower cars, and that's NOT what I want. I'm going to stay away from the S2000...a convertible wouldn't be safe for AutoCross, even with the roof up. That narrows it down to the 350z and WRX (Wagon). Would the WRX be better for me? I'm just now remembering that we get snow and other bad weather here, so I may want the security of AWD.

Again, I appreciate the help!
Thats exactly what I said before I got the Z. It just isn't going to happen, you cannot resist the power of the Z.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Korki Buchek

Also, an RSX can outrun a Z hands-down like 6:30.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! When I was 16 I bought a 1987 200sx... for $300. The car had no working wipers, no rear brakes, and unknown mileage. WTF is going on???
Old 04-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Mtxzptlk

Sti

Quick Reply: 350z a good choice for me?