Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z a good choice for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Roody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z a good choice for me?

What's up guys? I'm 16 and extremely interested in the 350z. I'm curious about owning a 350z Coupe. This coming summer, my parents are going to give me my mom's '04 Chevy Tahoe, which I will be allowed to sell. (Note: Before continuing, keep in mind that I'm an extremely responsible kid. I will NEVER street race, and I will always obey the speed limits. Also, I'm not a stuck-up rich kid...I'm very thankful for what I have). So, I'm thinking of buying a used car that I can drive daily and eventually turn into an AutoCross racer. I'm considering the 350z, S2000, Subaru WRX (Wagon), Acura RSX Type S / Honda Civic Si (I group them together because they have the same engine), Camaro, and Mustang. I'm leaning towards a used 350z Coupe because of the looks, I've heard that it's very easy to live with, and they sound amazing. So what do you guys think? I really appreciate any input! THANKS!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
zstreet86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for an autocross racer you should probably get something awd like the wrx, for a cool daily driver... get the Z

Last edited by zstreet86; 04-19-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM
alan86

a good choice for all
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the mustang.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:49 PM
03performz

You'll shoot your eye out.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
PWSHHOCKEY44

RSX ftmfw
Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM
GSoccer24

honestly go for a WRX/RSX/Si first then get a 350Z or similar after. you'll learn a lot from your first car and you'll probably mess it up some too.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:53 PM
NewZland

Originally Posted by 03performz
You'll shoot your eye out.
+1

But seriously don't take this the wrong way but i really do think that 16 is too young for this car. Hell i'm 22 and at times i feel it's too much car for me, i couldn't imagine having it at 16. I know you say you won't street race but we all know when that car comes up next to you growling ya just can't help yourself. But, to answer your question, the Z is an amazing car at a great price and looks absolutely zexy.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Shinin350z

16 is way too young for a Z. I think you need to learn to drive for a couple of years before you get a Z. Get the Civic Si. I had one and they are very nice cars. Cheap to repair too. I'd hate to see you in the stats for driver deaths with a Z.

Last edited by Shinin350z; 04-19-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Roody

Trust me, guys, in no way, shape, or form will I abuse the power of the car. I'll be driving it like a grandma to tell the truth. Anything to be safe.

Now I know I sounded dumb coming onto this board and asking if the Z is a good car, but you can't beat the opinion of the people who own it!

I'm staying away from the RSX and Civic because they're FWD, and I'm not a fan of it. The Mustang and Camaro are awesome also, but to me they seem more like bare-bones, all-about-horsepower cars, and that's NOT what I want. I'm going to stay away from the S2000...a convertible wouldn't be safe for AutoCross, even with the roof up. That narrows it down to the 350z and WRX (Wagon). Would the WRX be better for me? I'm just now remembering that we get snow and other bad weather here, so I may want the security of AWD.

Again, I appreciate the help!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
bofa

WRX for you... RWD sports car is probably not the most forgiving car to start driving and/or racing. Start with AWD or FWD imo.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
cavallino33

I had a WRX before the Z. The WRX is easier to drive although if you don't know how to drive a manual the is a little harder to learn on at first but then its fine. It's harder to screw up with the WRX, its very very forgiving. If you want to Auto-X the WRX is pretty good in that with some mods. Plus it will to better in snow and rain etc.

The downsides are 1. the transmission isn't great (nothcy and sloppy) 2. Doesn't have as much power (although maybe thats a good thing for you being a new driver) 3. the interior isn't great and it doesn't look as good though this isn't really a huge huge issue.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 PM
03performz

Kidding aside, I'm thinking that a WRX is prob. a good car for your needs. It's a decently powerful car with a bunch of mod. options to set it up for autocross and the AWD will help on your daily drive year round. The winters can get nasty up here.

Mustangs and Camaros suck for auto-x unless you fully dedicate them to the task, which will drastically reduce their practicallity come winter.

Or you could get a cheapy used Miata and get some decent track rims and tires and spend the rest on your daily driver. They're great auto-x cars. Good luck w/ your decision.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
GSoccer24

Originally Posted by Roody
Trust me, guys, in no way, shape, or form will I abuse the power of the car. I'll be driving it like a grandma to tell the truth. Anything to be safe.
yeah i said that too. i got my z when i was 21 and whacked a telephone pole the first week i had it. you WILL mess around with the car, despite what you say now. plus what will you drive in winter? you're from NY right?

WRX FTW
Old 04-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's my advice: Purchase a beater where you can learn the basic fundamentals of driving in a car and on the street, i know you're saying that you wont street race but the temptation will be there once someone tries to rev at you. And all it takes is one simple miscalculation to get into an accident, possibly injuring or even killing yourself or others around you. Save your money for now, study and work hard.. eventually you'll know when you're ready. (hopefully)
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Strider619
here's my advice: Purchase a beater where you can learn the basic fundamentals of driving in a car and on the street, i know you're saying that you wont street race but the temptation will be there once someone tries to rev at you. And all it takes is one simple miscalculation to get into an accident, possibly injuring or even killing yourself or others around you. Save your money for now, study and work hard.. eventually you'll know when you're ready. (hopefully)

Strider619 you hit it right on the head. Very, Very good advice.

Bob
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM
zeekle

agree. There is a difference between experienced and responsible. Get that beater and save up for a z. Beater will save your z in the winter and maybe you will get some more miles under the belt before you get one.

Of course you are 16 so you aren't gonna listen to us old farts.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Tubbs

The more time you spend here, the less time you have to drive an RSX. Just get the damn RSX. If it's good enough for god, it's good enough for your pasty azz.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:31 PM
supra crazy

no

Get a RSX
Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,667 Posts

+2 get the car you want when you can actually afford it and when you a little older.

Quick Reply: 350z a good choice for me?