Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z 2 hard 2 control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM
ttuberz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going up to a car show when a red pickup ran a red light and was coming at me. I almost got killed and the Z saved my life. I cut the wheel to the right than to the left to get the back end to slide to the right in order to swurve around from getting t-boned. Than, i was heading straight for a pole sideways when my traction and brakes stopped the car a foot away from flying over the curb and into the pole. The Z will handle if you know how to handle it. just my .02
Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Tubbs

The Z has saved my life twice from people pulling in front of me on the highway. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car. People can't drive, that's all.

Or maybe the Z is 2 fast and much 2 furious for all y'all.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:19 PM
hardrock905

The Z has great control. It too has saved me from many close calls where I have almost been hit, ran off the road, needed to stop in a heartbeat, etc.
Just because so many inexperienced drivers have wrecked lately, has no relation whether the Z is hard to control or not.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
volcomrider6

I personally bought the base model so I wouldn't have to deal with traction control or vdc. The 350z is extremely predictable car. Anyone ever drive an S2000 in the rain?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by volcomrider6
I personally bought the base model so I wouldn't have to deal with traction control or vdc. The 350z is extremely predictable car. Anyone ever drive an S2000 in the rain?
So did I - '03 model in Nov 2002, Base as base gets. At that time no TCS, no VDC. Not sure you can buy one w/o it today (TCS). That makes 2 people I know who did that...

Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM
joe645733

this thread is pointless.

its called stupid decisions.

thats like asking why do people get into car accidents
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by volcomrider6
and u also dont have an LSD.

and cant u just turn VDC off with a push of a button? thats what i do with mine?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by cubu
stock Z tires suck. after getting more meat underneath me i've found it pretty hard to break the rear loose, with the stockers it would come loose sometimes when i didn't want it to. i have much more confidence accelerating out of a turn now.
I'll agree to this...

I now have 285's/255's, 100000x better than the shit-tenza's
Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by joe645733
this thread is pointless.
its called stupid decisions.
thats like asking why do people get into car accidents
Insightful.

The "stupid decision" you make in a Z or a G like pulling WOT 2-3 shifts that cause complete loss of traction, or esp many of the "driving too fast in the rain" crash stories won't bite your *** in a Camry or a Taurus the way it will in a faster F/R car like a Z.

The point if any of this thread was "Is the Z too hard to control?" - for many the answer is obviously "yes". If you doubt that go get an insurance quote for a sedan of equal value for a 19-21 year old and you'll find the stats agree.

For people who know the car and how to drive it, the answer is a BIG "no", it can save your butt in ways that Camry never will. Worst case, it's also really well designed to take a big hit - drive shaft will break, engine goes under the driver, they really did a good job making it survivable in a bad impact.

IF there is any point to this question, it is people should not buy one if they don't have the experience or patience to learn the car before pushing it. Both my Z and G Coupe have allowed me to drive out of near-accidents that would eat that Camry for lunch. For a more powerful car, it is one of the easiest to control and most forgiving considering what you can do with one. Try driving a C5 or Z06 in the rain hard on track sometime if you think car doesn't matter.

But clearly there is a point - there's at least one dead kid out there who posted on this forum, died street racing a car he had driven for 1-2 days. You may get away with that crap in a Civic, but then again a stock Civic does not have the torque to spin the wheels at 60 mph doing a 2-3 shift under WOT, either. He broke it in half on a tree when he lost control, going in a straight line (hard to believe, but it happened).

I have seen people who would likely have survived their stupidity in a less powerful car - too bad no one convinced them maybe they should have bought something else to cut their teeth on, maybe they wouldn't be dead.

Oh, but I digress, and that's "pointless"...to you, anyway. Maybe if and when you have kids of driving age you might think about it differently. I really don't understand the parents who outright buy or help their 18-19 year old buy one, IMHO they're 9 out 10 times idiots for doing so.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
bmore22

Well Im 20 Yrs Old N Got My 04 Z When I Was 19....n I Have No Problems With My Z As Far As Control...n E More That Is, Lol!!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 PM
wckdclw

http://www.leftlanenews.com/iihs-stu...-vehicles.html

?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Motormouth
did you really put '2 hard 2 control' in the title?
I know. The goggles, they do nothing!

I gave up my Grammar Police badge a few years ago, so I'm just going to say LOL and move on.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
C4talyst

I think there are too many inexperienced young drivers getting their hands on this car. 300hp + RWD + First Car = Parents Hate You
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe645733
and u also dont have an LSD.

and cant u just turn VDC off with a push of a button? thats what i do with mine?
yea but i believe the performance and track trim (03-05) hav ebd (electronic brake force distribution) which can never b shut off completely. so drifting/sliding by using the brakes is out, you hav to go in w/ pure momentum. of all the track events ive participated in, the stock brakes held up fine. i can see why alot off people cook there brakes, mostly because 2 many people rely on them, and not enough on engine braking + braking, and proper driving methods. although i did feel brake fade after 3 laps at elkhorn.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 AM
VENGEANCE

Anybody that has wrecked a 350Z is a damn idiot - you simply don't know what the hell you're doing and you need to buy yourself a Subaru or a Volvo. I test drove an 07 (first time I had ever driven a 350Z) and there was NOTHING I COULD do to shake this car's rear end out of whack. I took turns that would send some sports cars's tires chirping and squeeling but I got nothing but pure action. I got up to 100mph and pitched it to the right to avoid an idiot that cut me off - I made a precision turn right between two cars - there was no flex, no squealing, no nothing. Just pure action. It was like the car wasn't even at speed. Try that **** in a so-called safer, slower car and you'll run off the road or the damn thing will nose dive and slide forward.

A friend of mine let me drive his twin turbo 300ZX with nearly bald, soft compound Faulkens all the way around. It fishtailed a little bit under power but nothing uncontrolable. There's a lot of inexperienced people out there that will try those "Hey watch this" moves in a 350Z and haven't even cracked open the owners manual or even know how to operate the turn signals and wonder why they end up wrapped around a telephone poll. I'm pretty sure if you make a manuever in any kind of high performance car and just think it's going to react like an average car you deserve to be spinning on the roof of your car. That's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by VENGEANCE; 05-01-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ whoa, so ur telling me u cant break the rear loose in a stock z? u sure it wasnt a solstice lol.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VENGEANCE
I test drove an 07 (first time I had ever driven a 350Z) and there was NOTHING I COULD do to shake this car's rear end out of whack. I took turns that would send some sports cars's tires chirping and squeeling but I got nothing but pure action. I got up to 100mph and pitched it to the right to avoid an idiot that cut me off - I made a precision turn right between two cars - there was no flex, no squealing, no nothing. Just pure action. It was like the car wasn't even at speed. Try that **** in a so-called safer, slower car and you'll run off the road or the damn thing will nose dive and slide forward.
You're not going to lose control of the back end doing 100mph unless you dropped the gears and put it sideways with the intent of being MaD DiFtO KinG. That's probably when the car is most stable. Comments like that leads me to believe you are just as clueless about driving it as the people who crash it.

Last edited by bender; 05-01-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM
VENGEANCE

Originally Posted by bender
You're not going to lose control of the back end doing 100mph unless you dropped the gears and put it sideways with the intent of being MaD DiFtO KinG. That's probably when the car is most stable. Comments like that leads me to believe you are just as clueless about driving it as the people who crash it.
And people like you lead me to believe you waste time nit-picking the fukk out of other people's posts and insulting them mainly because you read too deep and jump to conclusions instead of asking for clarification.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
VENGEANCE

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
^^ whoa, so ur telling me u cant break the rear loose in a stock z? u sure it wasnt a solstice lol.
Look. the simple fact of the matter is despite all this foolishness about people wrecking these cars I couldn't find anything with this car that would leave me with the impression that this car was "HARD TO CONTROL." Try and manhandle a car like a Z06 or a Viper or a Ford GT and come back to me. Better yet, take a 77' Porsche 930 turbo (called 911 for production purposes) and try to whip it around the freeway or some canyon roads and see what happens to ya. Otherwise, a 350Z is too docile of a car in my personal opinion to consider it to be "2 hard 2 control."

Like someone said before - this is a stupid a$$ thread. The geniouses that wrecked a 350Z were obviously inexperienced, overzealous, and just plain reckless. Others have spent most of their lives behind the wheel of lesser powered, front wheel drive econo cars and expect the same reaction from a rear wheel drive car as with a front wheel drive.

Last edited by VENGEANCE; 05-02-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
BabyZiLLa

Everyones going on about the power?? The cars got 300hp at the crank with a HEAVY car.. Its not a fast car in stock..

Its the RWD that people can't drive not the power..

Quick Reply: 350z 2 hard 2 control?