Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
And thats true, the point I was making was how important it is to keep an open mind and relize numbers in all instances can be manipulated to the advantage of the author
Yeap, the biggest liers in the world are statisticians.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:13 AM
MichaelofHearts
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Every Car is a death trap, the line between dieing and living is drawn by the driver.
If the driver has a lead foot, yeah hitting something doing a buck thirty is gonna cause some damage.
Dont get me wrong, saying that sports cars are more capible of causing deaths isnt a false statement. But keep in mind a few things...
  • It's a light wieght car, so the body is gonna take some damage on impact.
  • It can reach speeds that most cars can't have a wet dream about.
  • If an accident does happen, the majority of the time it is your fault, and when its not your fault I doubt you'll be going 130. (If you were, guess what...it's your fault.)
  • You may say, "I dont see any other sport cars up there, why's that?" Thats simply because MOST people that own the high-end sport cars are ethier old and drive like my grandpa, or are scarred of the kind of power they have under the hood.

I've been driving my 350z(2003 Track) around for awhile now, it drives like a champ and barely has issues. Gotten into one accident, and it was my fault doing 80 on the highway I rear ended a buddy of mine(cut me off, but still my fault) I had to replace my intercooler, the front fenders and bumper of my car. Suprisingly, I didn't have frame, A-arm, Rim, control arm, or any other serious damages. My Z took it like a champ, maybe I got lucky, but i hit a PoS Civic that was going 60mph on the highway while I was doing 80. Cost me about 3,000 to replace cause I "know some people who know some people", and even my intake survived that bang up.

Simply to sum it up, don't blame the car for how many people that have died driving it, because most(NOT ALL)of them couldn't handle the car or were being overly reckless with their car. Don't get me wrong, you got a Z you better drive it like you stole it, but make sure you know how.

I do not mean any disrespect by this post Im just giving my opinion. RIP everyone that passed away in a car accident, driving a 350z or not.
Just don't blame the cars, its just not fair. Yall that do decide to continue blaming the 350, are prolly just jealous cause yall don't have one.

Later.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yeap, the biggest liers in the world are statisticians.
Hmmm yeah... Figures don't lie, but liars can do the figuring.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
lve2xlr8

It's probably because most of the people who drive Z's are kids.... The car itself scores highly in crash tests..
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, this is a repost. And as I pointed out in the previous thread, I believe the story is bogus.
Thanks Dave for the link, I checked it out and saw your old post which really make more sense. For anyone interested this is what Dave posted in the previous discussion

Interesting article, but I'm not sure I believe it. Not too long ago, I got a newsletter in the mail from Liberty Mutual (my former insurance co). It contained a chart showing the relative ranking of Injury, Collision and Theft for just about every car made. The data came from the same group that provided it for the USAToday story - The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety / Highway Loss Data Institute.

They ranked cars by group, with a score of 100 being "average" for that group. The Z scored 99 out of 100 in the Injury category. The Rustang scored 115. The Eclipse was the only "sports car" to score in the "worse than average" range at 134.

By comparison, here are the scores of some other high ranked cars
Mazda6 134
SRT-4 210
Lancer 207
Sentra 200
EVO 158
Civic 150
RSX 150
Scion tC 172

A lot of the small and a good percentage of the mid-size cars scored "worse than average".

The Z ranked 203 in the Collision Damage and 196 in theft.

Don't feel bad about the theft rating, the worse vehicles:
EVO 548
WRX 416
S2000 518
Escalade 4dr 1335
Escalade EXT 1728
Old 05-02-2007, 10:44 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

If a SUV is turned left then right suddenly it will tip over and flip. That is how they do it. If your just taking a hard turn one direction it won't happen.

Originally Posted by HardTech
I guess it is, but it helps not to drive like an idiot. I’ve dome some dumb moves in my explorer but nothing close to flipping it. In many instances of trying to find its limits, I found the front gives way before flipping. As in it just starts sliding strait before it will flip.

Now granted I have witness one flip at under 10 mph before so I know it can happen. My question is how people are able to do it.

As for the deaths in the 350z. I think half the accidents here will prove something different from the report. Granted cold hard facts rarely lie, but the 350z from all the hits and bumps(and torn in half) pic’s we have seen around here are a good demonstration to its build.

I would have been nice to know how they looked at these cases, what deaths they included and what deaths they didn’t. Out of that report how many are related to street racing? Good facts and figures to put in, but they where only worried about 2 numbers I guess. The number of vehicles and the number of people that died in those vehicles.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
Thanks Dave for the link, I checked it out and saw your old post which really make more sense. For anyone interested this is what Dave posted in the previous discussion
Thanks Al. If you'll notice, I also included a link that you can download the LM newsletter. It's a pretty interesting comparison of cars, especially the theft ratings
Old 05-02-2007, 01:49 PM
sadclown

i think it has more to do with the driver than the car.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
gotbooost

just post up the pdf that shows
1.fatalities by driver age group and
2.breakdown of 350z owners by age group

I think it may shed some light on this subject.

The Z has all 5 star crash test ratings except in 1 category - Passenger
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Index2.cfm

I was thinking of renting an american car for a road trip about a year ago. Looked up the car (think it was a monte carlo or something equivlent) and after comparing with my z I decided NOT to go with the rental. Look at this:

I'm happy with my z... and I went from San Diego to San Francisco in about 6 hours flat. Had to gas up twice though. The z ain't nice on gas when you're on it.

Edit:
Sorry those URLs are crap. You'll have to look up passenger car>nissan>2003>350z and compare to a 2006 chevy monte carlo.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:17 AM
eeZee

Are there data showing death rates per miles driven? That may be interesting. I don't think the story would be different though.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 AM
2003 Perf. Z

In my experience I have noticed that about half of the drivers of Z's are women - 30y/o+, young kids, and the other 1/4 30+males.

The kids are apparently what skew these results - I don't think the women and the old fogies are the culprits, but with such a high (assumed) crash rate among kids (under 24) it will drive the overall figures up.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
The RSX still beats the 350Z !!! Lol
LMAO It kills only in VTEC!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
35oZephyR

Take a relatively powerful sportscar with a 5 star crash rating and make it affordable.
Now put it in the hands of your everyday commuter, who's probably recently graduated from mashing pedals on a FWD econo.

Better Odds of crashing? yes
Deathtrap? no
Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Scrivner

Ditto everyone who says it's about the driver, not the car.

Evidence of this is that according to Consumer Reports Magazine
(from Feb or Mar 07) the 350Z got pretty high ratings in safety tests.

The problem is that those who drive Zs are more likely to drive more
aggressively and therefore, more liekly to be involved in accidents.

However another factor in the insurance equation is the cost of repair
which my wife (who used to work for State Farm) says is much higher
than average for the 350Z. (Why? - I dunno).
Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
twotonetrack

RSX beats us yet again.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:32 PM
SniperHunter

I didn't read the whole thread, but I figured I'd say this much:

This "study" is absurdly flawed. The cars on the worst list are cars purchased by teenagers and inexperienced drivers. Most of them are riced out and driven to their limits by ***** attempting to replicate Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. IIHS has the Z rated at 5 stars for head-on, and 4 star side-impact. It's a safe car.

It's an unsafe car at the hands of a late-teen who's hitting puberty 6 years too late. I saw this "study" when it was released weeks ago, and I can't begin to tell you just how many RSXs I saw ripping through the highway and city since then. I saw three crashed in the past month (anybody who drives on the LIE often in NYC can attest to this). In the hands of unsafe drivers, that Chevy Aveo can quickly go from safe to unsafe.

The problem with the Best list is that those cars aren't driven hard. They're luxury autos, or dredfully slow ecoboxes that can't be driven hard even if they wanted to be. The G35 is largely purchased in sedan form and AWD, so the numbers favor it. Additionally, people who drive G-coupes usually like their car way too much to drive it hard, either that or they're late 20s'/early 30s guys who are past the whole driving hard thing and prefer to enjoy the ride.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I didn't read the whole thread, but I figured I'd say this much:

This "study" is absurdly flawed. The cars on the worst list are cars purchased by teenagers and inexperienced drivers. Most of them are riced out and driven to their limits by ***** attempting to replicate Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. IIHS has the Z rated at 5 stars for head-on, and 4 star side-impact. It's a safe car.

It's an unsafe car at the hands of a late-teen who's hitting puberty 6 years too late. I saw this "study" when it was released weeks ago, and I can't begin to tell you just how many RSXs I saw ripping through the highway and city since then. I saw three crashed in the past month (anybody who drives on the LIE often in NYC can attest to this). In the hands of unsafe drivers, that Chevy Aveo can quickly go from safe to unsafe.

The problem with the Best list is that those cars aren't driven hard. They're luxury autos, or dredfully slow ecoboxes that can't be driven hard even if they wanted to be. The G35 is largely purchased in sedan form and AWD, so the numbers favor it. Additionally, people who drive G-coupes usually like their car way too much to drive it hard, either that or they're late 20s'/early 30s guys who are past the whole driving hard thing and prefer to enjoy the ride.

Just my 2 pennies.
The study isn't flawed at all. And you're pointing to that yourself by the way!

It's a ratio of death by car model. Certain car model are bought by certain kind of people. Certain kind of people are more prone to do silly things while driving a car. It just so happens that these people tend to buy RSX's and Z more than a Lincoln Towncar or a minivan.

For a company who's business is insuring cars, it's totally relevent.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Advent7

And i thought the Z was more dangerous....i drive a blazer as a commuter.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo

Originally Posted by HardTech

1. Chevy Astro (WTF?!)
WTF is a chevy ASTRO??
Old 05-06-2007, 08:57 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Kolia
The study isn't flawed at all. And you're pointing to that yourself by the way!

It's a ratio of death by car model. Certain car model are bought by certain kind of people. Certain kind of people are more prone to do silly things while driving a car. It just so happens that these people tend to buy RSX's and Z more than a Lincoln Towncar or a minivan.

For a company who's business is insuring cars, it's totally relevent.
It's flawed in the sense that it conveys the wrong notion regarding the cars. They're safe cars in the hands of unsafe drivers.

Quick Reply: This is why it costs to insure a 350z (Published study)