2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Maybe buying a Z ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Miche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe buying a Z ..

Hey all,

First off all, let me introduce myself.. I am Michael, 19-years old. I currently own a MG-F (1.8, 135HP). I fell in love with the looks of a Z .. I'm not really a performing type of guy, but I like fast cars tho .. But still, I think the looks of a Z are very nice, and I am really wanting to buy one .. but still, i'm having some doubts. The MG-F I own was a birthday gift from my father, If I would buy a Z .. I would have to sell it, and probably loan 15000$ .. My mother currently gives me 500$ / month, as long as i'm living at home .. I don't really have fixed expenses, except for my car insurance and fuel. I work full-time, and I make about 1300$ (without the 500$ from my mom). If I would buy a Z, and make the loan, my mother would pay it off with the 500$ budget she gives me, and so stop giving it to me..

Would you guys advice this to me? Or do you think I'm just a crazy buy who fell in love with a car .. while i'm actually way to young and it would be money thrown away..

By the way, I like the fact that my MG is a convertable .. So i would actually like to have a roadster, but that's probably a little to expensive .. so I might go with the normal Z ..

I'm actually just looking for some suggestions, I kinda wanna hear what people think of my "plan" .. Sometimes I think it's silly since I now own a car that's not ugly at all .. But it's getting a little old. She's from '99 and I have a lot of expences .. there is always something broken with MG and I hate that .. I just want a car that's beautifull, drives well, and is Solid .. If you know what I mean

Let's hear it..
Old 05-04-2007, 04:08 AM
MrSteak

F*** it... you only live once.

But seriously... you can always consider buying a slightly used one or even a roadster. Just make sure you're making enough to live with as far as going out, vacations, general expenses go. I wouldn't suggest spending all your money just to own a Z, cause if anything goes wrong, you're screwed.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:22 AM
zeekle

Cultural differences aside I have to say you have a pretty sweet setup there.

I have to ask though.. you are working full time and get for lack of a better word an allowance from your mom. Is your working status going to change much over the next couple of years? Is school coming up? Are you in your career or is your current job a stepping stone to something that pays more?

The rule of thumb I use on cars(and boats and bikes) is that a person should not own a car(total) that is worth more than half their yearly gross income. You bring home about 24k (including your allowance). The reason for this is that these sorts of things are continually going down in value. You don't want to tie up too much cash in something thats always worth less than what you bought it for.

If I was going to do it I would for sure look to the used market but even then I would feel better about it if you at least socked a little money (besides the trade) away before you went into the dealer.

The 350z is a sweet car for sure but its not worth screwing up the rest of your life over. Cars can really get you in a hole thats very hard to get out of.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:28 AM
JunkStory

didnt know what was an MG-F until I googled it. Looks like a cool car for your age.

I don't think its worth it for you to get a Z, because where you live, the Z should be quite expensive
Old 05-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Miche

Thanks for the replies so far.

The MG-F is a nice car yes, I like it .. but .. it's from '99 and it's an english car, there is always somethin wrong with it .. i have to keep changing stuff and buying new stuff because everything falls apart. Really, it's actually a piece of junk let's put it like this :

I can sell my MG-F for +- 7000€
My mom gives me 500€ / month
I'm currently a bartender in the most famous disco in my country .. it's an okay living, but in one or 2 years maybe I will be at a much better bar in that disco, where I can triple up my income .. The plan is to put a little money aside aswell, and maybe with the help of my father and a loan, start my own bussiness in let's say, 10 years or so.. that's my plan.
So far as the Z goes .. I can buy a used one for 23.000€ (normal one) and a roadster for 32.000€ .. Is the roadster really worth the 9.000€ more? I kinda like it ..
So I will have to loan like 15.000/20.000€ .. To pay off the loan, I will have to use my entire budget that my mom gives me.. so actually.. it's my mom who is buying my car, if you see it like that.. she gives me the car instead of 500€ / month.. The only thing I'm worried about are the taxes/insurance wich is very expensive for this kind of car in my country .. I will have to look that up. Or does anyone know a good site for that kind of stuff, for my country that is, Belgium .. I have no idea for the moment.

Is the Z also a car where you need to change a lot of stuff? Small things braking or malfunctioning? Any known "Z-deseases" ?

I'm still having doubts.. I will have my Z paid off in let's say 5 years, with my mothers budget .. In the meanwhile I will keep on working, putting money aside for taxes/insurance .. I think I could still make an okay living, buying some clothes, going out, etc ..

Oh yeah, and could anyone tell me how much those sideskirts costs for the Z ? I've seen pictures with some sideskirts (ofc there are diffirent ones) but aproximately how much do they cost?

Anyway, thanks all, appreciate it !
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 AM
MUZZY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude is your mom adopting? WTF she just gives you $500?
why not just ask your parents to buy you the car like all the other rich spoiled kids. Just dont crash it into a ditch the next week.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you plan on living at home and have them make the payments, things will work out well. Once you do decide to move out, you'll have not only the car payment but also rent/mortgage, utilities, and a bunch of other expenses. Just think hard about this and if its feasible. It is a big decision.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
enuff4life

^ +1

if you are planning to stay home next 3 years or whatever your car payment is up to. Buy it~! It seems like you are in a safe zone...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
JunkStory

Originally Posted by Miche
Thanks for the replies so far.

The MG-F is a nice car yes, I like it .. but .. it's from '99 and it's an english car, there is always somethin wrong with it .. i have to keep changing stuff and buying new stuff because everything falls apart. Really, it's actually a piece of junk let's put it like this :

I can sell my MG-F for +- 7000€
My mom gives me 500€ / month
I'm currently a bartender in the most famous disco in my country .. it's an okay living, but in one or 2 years maybe I will be at a much better bar in that disco, where I can triple up my income .. The plan is to put a little money aside aswell, and maybe with the help of my father and a loan, start my own bussiness in let's say, 10 years or so.. that's my plan.
So far as the Z goes .. I can buy a used one for 23.000€ (normal one) and a roadster for 32.000€ .. Is the roadster really worth the 9.000€ more? I kinda like it ..
So I will have to loan like 15.000/20.000€ .. To pay off the loan, I will have to use my entire budget that my mom gives me.. so actually.. it's my mom who is buying my car, if you see it like that.. she gives me the car instead of 500€ / month.. The only thing I'm worried about are the taxes/insurance wich is very expensive for this kind of car in my country .. I will have to look that up. Or does anyone know a good site for that kind of stuff, for my country that is, Belgium .. I have no idea for the moment.

Is the Z also a car where you need to change a lot of stuff? Small things braking or malfunctioning? Any known "Z-deseases" ?

I'm still having doubts.. I will have my Z paid off in let's say 5 years, with my mothers budget .. In the meanwhile I will keep on working, putting money aside for taxes/insurance .. I think I could still make an okay living, buying some clothes, going out, etc ..

Oh yeah, and could anyone tell me how much those sideskirts costs for the Z ? I've seen pictures with some sideskirts (ofc there are diffirent ones) but aproximately how much do they cost?

Anyway, thanks all, appreciate it !
9,000€ = $12,000 USD for the convertible is totally not worth it.

The hardtop is lighter and more rigid.

What year of Z do you plan on buying? I recommend the 05, because the 05 doesnt have tire feathering (03/04) or oil consumption problem (06).
Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
realcom2

I would keep getting the $500/month and save it. You will have plenty of expense life expenses in the next few years and if you are ok with the car you got than just like a wife its cheaper to keep her.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You work, do not pay room and board, dad buys you cars, plus mom gives you $500/month allowance. Hell. Tell mommy and daddy that you want a new 350Z.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSteak
But seriously... you can always consider buying a slightly used one or even a roadster. Just make sure you're making enough to live with as far as going out, vacations, general expenses go. I wouldn't suggest spending all your money just to own a Z, cause if anything goes wrong, you're screwed.
+ 1

Tyres alone will be more expensive given they're bigger and wider than your standard MG. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:52 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Formula To Teen Posting on MY350Z.COM: