Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How is the Z on roadtrips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM
johnny3597

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive done a few roadtrips in mine...i find if you keep the rpms at 4000 or below during the trip, you tend to have good mileage. Atlanta to Detroit (600+miles) only took me two tanks when i did this. When i went over it took me two and a half/three tanks
Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 AM
s31t8n8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU GUYS NEED TO GET THIS:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e+Massage.html
Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 AM
tourinz

Default The Z has plenty of room and is very confortable

I moved form Cape Cod MA, to Boca Raton FL in my Z. I'm 6'5 and I was able to fit pretty much everything I needed (TV, Computer, Clothes, etc) and still be comfortable on the Z. I made it in 18 hours w/ an average speed of 93mph(according to the computer). The only thing I would recomend is get a sirius radio, makes the trip much more enjoyable.....
Old 05-10-2007, 06:02 AM
tranceformer95

Originally Posted by tourinz
I moved form Cape Cod MA, to Boca Raton FL in my Z. I'm 6'5 and I was able to fit pretty much everything I needed (TV, Computer, Clothes, etc) and still be comfortable on the Z. I made it in 18 hours w/ an average speed of 93mph(according to the computer). The only thing I would recomend is get a sirius radio, makes the trip much more enjoyable.....
holy schnikes!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Blue Highways

Default Road Work

I've made a few long trips in my Z,including a 22-day period where I put 8800 miles on the car.I found that I can squeeze 350-400 miles from a tank,and if I drive conservately (a steady 75-80 MPH) on Interstates that the car averages around 24 MPG.

One of my longest drives was from Little Rock to Ocala,FL,a trip that took all day and into the night.It was an 850-mile epic drive,a (nearly) Interstate-free day,one of the longest I have stayed behind the wheel since the '80s,when I used to drive from Florida to NY--1300 miles--in one swell foop just for the hell of it.

I try not to do THAT anymore,although last Summer I did drive straight through from Ocala to Austin where my cuz picked up an old National guitar that he bought on Ebay.It took fifteen hours.

We left Florida at sunset Friday,got to Austin at noon,bought a guitar,had the oil changed in the Z,and then explored Austin all day despite our fatigue.We did a few hours on 6th Street closing up bars,spent 7 hours zonked out in a motel,then drove straight back to Florida after a dawn breakfast and aspirin.
Cheat:--my cousin and I switched off driving,so it was less torture than it sounds.Got back to Ocala at 1 AM Monday,after a few-hour stop in a sad,empty New Orleans.
Nearly 2000 miles in 2 1/3 days.

When I travel,I try to do at least 600 miles/day if I'm in a big rush.Otherwise,I meander through backroads and small towns and may not clear 300 miles in a day.Sometimes,it takes me 3 DAYS to get to NY.

Little Rock/Ocala taxed me... I was totally ragged out when I got home.It became more like work than pleasure at about the 600-mile mark,something I HAD to finish,no matter what.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 AM
THE BARRON

[QUOTE=UGOTZ'D]
Originally Posted by Tubbs
Fits everything I need,
QUOTE]

+1 I JUST PUT MY OLD ICE HOCKEY BAG WITH ALL OF MY PADS INTO MY HATCH AND TWO STICKS NO PROBLEM!
damn i have a hard time fitting all my inline hockey stuff with 1 stick. i guess i bring alot of crap. my 300zx was better for hockey i think
Old 05-10-2007, 07:32 AM
THE BARRON

well i got a huge road trip planned for when i get out of the army. north carolina to california. im taking the southern route. and i was thinking about the gas mileage with cruise control but then i thought i have a base and dont have cruise control. haha sucks to be me. but i dont really like cruise control anyway. i was also thinking about trying to put together some cruise together for 350z members. since ill have diffrent legs planned out already i wonder if people will want to do it? its going to be around the end of december i think so if anyone is interested pm me. i know its a ways away.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
KenZee

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Get a lumbar support to add to your seats:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...latelumbar.php

then sit back and enjoy the ride. I've taken several road trips, from 5 to 12 hours long (one way) and arrived suprisingly relaxed and refreshed. The Z is actually a very nice ride at highway speeds on good quality roads. Stop every two hours or so to stretch your legs and move around and you'll do fine.
Thanks for the lumbar support info. I have an Infiniti I30T as my daily driver that has a lumbar support (3 position manual) and I have been able to easily drive 8-10 hours and get out without having to stretch back out before being able to walk away. I knew my Z needed one from the first 4+ hour drive I took, but hadn't seen one that I thought would fit. Wouldn't really need an inflatable one, but I feel a manual one would be really hard to install, if you could even find one to fit. I assume the inflatable model isn't very hard to install. Does it have any ties, etc., to keep it from slipping down inside the seat or does the seat covering hold it in place pretty well? I have factory leather on a SB 35th.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Skidfive805

Default .

nobody can beat the 7.5 hours round trip of 170 miles.

Ventura to South LA and back. yep

base model, about 3 hours each way at 7 mph. and then 45 minutes maybe of actually driving. minus, 15 minutes to grab a bite to eat at the half way point.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM
ZBigDog

Longest I've gone is about 275 miles each way, stiff back for sure, but with the Stealthbox cranked, cruise control engaged and fire nug burnin it went by in what felt like an hour.

The Z is a great cruiser on the highway.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
BallZdeepNYC

I will be making the 24hr trip from NY to FL. i hope its comfortable
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
marcuZ350

i got my Z and after 600km i drove it from montreal canada to boston...it was very comfortable ...not much luggage space though!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 AM
enthuZast

the Z is not good on long road trips
Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Kurru

sometimes i wish i took my Z on my roadtrip to cali. instead i took my fj cruiser which was comfy... but not on the wallet at the gas bar
Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 PM
StylesCD

don't sit striaght up or your back will HATE you
Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 AM
ocmd350z

I drive from Maryland to Alabama and back twice a year, something like 900 miles each way. I have done it for the past three years in my Integra Type-R, now I got my Z this year but I think its more comfortable than the R. Seats were sh*tty, suspension very tight, and no cruise control. Now got leather seats and cruise control think it will be a lot easier. But just have to wait and see.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Z is basically a GT car... Grand Touring is all about road trips...
Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
deblooz

I drove from MD to CA two years ago. Put the car in cruise and set the mph to 80-85 and got 28 mpg. I-80 was a real pain - try to stay in the "fast lane" which is a bit smoother - other than that it was enjoyable. I spent about 10 hours/day driving and got there in 32 hours.
Let me correct my "brain fade". It took me 3 1/2 days to make the trip, not 32 hours.

Last edited by deblooz; 05-17-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Abishop

Since im taking a 3500 mile road trip here in the next couple weeks i read this thread. Sounds like the Z is going to be a good car for the trip. My longest hauls will be 760 miles (Salt Lake to San fran and LV to Denver). What are some things i need to be prepared for when i take this trip? How many Gym size bags have you guys fit in the back? Also, any tips on making the ride more comfortable and gas friendly?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:28 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by Abishop
Since im taking a 3500 mile road trip... My longest hauls will be 760 miles ... What are some things i need to be prepared for when i take this trip? How many Gym size bags have you guys fit in the back? Also, any tips on making the ride more comfortable and gas friendly?
My gf and I did a 2400 mile trip last summer over 10 days exploring across 5 states. We usually mix camping and moteling.

In the hatch area only we packed 2 sleeping bags, tent, & air mattresses, each had 24"x14" leather bags for clothes, a 12 can "slim" cooler, and a large thick leather bag(backpack sized) for breakables, lights, cleaning supplies, hair dryer etc. There is still room for a couple of stuff sacks for dirty clothes, wet things, and trinkets. Seldom used emergency equipment fits around and in the tire in the spare well. Get a Z seat back accessory for storing whatever you need while on the go(maps, lotions, books, etc).

I told the gf she had to put her extra shoes in a bag that would be on the floor at her feet. (She decided on half the shoes originally planned.) You still have all the 8 or so storage niches of the Z, and floor behind the seats for whatever else you need.

Recommendations:
- Use a cargo net for the hatch to save your life in case of an accident.
-buy stuff sacks sized to fit your needs, not the other way around.
-Get up and on the road early. you can eat breakfast later when traffic builds. If you do this, you will enjoy the mornings and get some miles behind you. That way you'll be more inclined later to stop for sights or even finish the driving day early if a nice place shows up .
-Don't drive tired. It is no fun, you miss things and forget things. Take a stretch, switch drivers if not alone or check out some café.

Quick Reply: How is the Z on roadtrips?