Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Finnaly got my second tranny (3rd) WOWWWWW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Slexis200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finnaly got my second tranny (3rd) WOWWWWW!!!

So this is my second transmission replacement, and all i can say is woooooooow. It feels amazing!The clutch pedal is soo incredibly light, it feels amazing...... just like the G35 coupe i tried. Its so S2000 like! All i have to say if anyones clutch isnt really easy to operate something is wrong and dont let the dealer tell you otherwise. My left foot used to get fatugued after just a while of driving. Now its amazing to drive...... Hopefully this tranny will be ok..... First day, so we'll see...
Old 04-25-2003, 06:07 PM
copperhead

Yeah my G35 coupe clutch and shifter feel S2000 like also. Very smooth and perfect. I am at 7500 miles with no problems.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Ricky
Banned

after about 1 hour in traffic, my foot kills.. but i figured that would happen to anyone after 1 hour in traffic.. right?

and what was the reason for your new tranny?
Old 04-26-2003, 08:44 AM
Slexis200

ya mine used to kill after an hour in traffic too..... Well the real reason for the new tranny was grinding into 3rd gear for no reason (on both the original tranny, and the second one) But this new 3rd one has an amazing feel to the clutch, its incredibly easy and light, like never before. From what i understand the clevis pin has something to do with the clutch pedal feel? someone correct me if im wrong. But if yours isnt extremly easy to push id say something was up, dont let them tell you oh its a sports car its supposed to be like that, well maybe on some, but this one nope!

Finnaly driving great................ woo hooo......

well see how long it lasts this time!
Old 04-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Gendo Ikari

I drive in traffic everyday...my clutch has been very light since day one so I never feel any fatigue whatsoever.
Old 04-26-2003, 04:51 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perhaps I just need to go to the gym, or you do mines not light as a feather, but fine for my needs, not sure what clutch feel has to do with tranny tho... arent they sorta 2 different things?
Old 04-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Slexis200

i honestly have no idea what they have to do with one another, but ill tell you there is a huge difference between now and then. It just feels 1000X better, now if it stays this way, everything is cool. It feels so much sportier when its so easy to push like this. Its stiff, but extremly light, meaning its not light junky light, its tight light i have no idea what im saying, but its great!
Old 04-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Brad4rdHay

Slexis, was the grind just a loud syncro crunching noise whe going into gear? I have that for 2,3rd.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:14 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the heaviest clutch pedal of any Z I've driven. Everyone who has driven my car agrees. Regardless, at close to 14K miles I've had no problems whatsoever, nor do I feel fatigued driving the car. I do two hours a day, five days a week in traffic. I personally feel that, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." and do not want to have any attempts made to lighten the clutch at this time.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:13 PM
importriders

I'm on my second tranny and it is night and day compared to my first tranny. My new tranny is smoother and faster. My clutch was always soft so that really didnt change. Hopefully it will stay this way. I had the third gear grind too. HFM also has a very heavy clutch.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:40 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by importriders
I'm on my second tranny and it is night and day compared to my first tranny. My new tranny is smoother and faster. My clutch was always soft so that really didnt change. Hopefully it will stay this way. I had the third gear grind too. HFM also has a very heavy clutch.
I got the definitive answer to this, along with about a dozen other questions, during a 20 minute Q & A with our So. Cal. Nissan man at the 2k3 Z Nationals.

Cars that were early production had a different Clevis pin. The later production Zs have a longer Clevis pin. The change was intentionally made by Nissan to better suit Z owners as the earlier clutch had more of the American muscle car kind of feel. My vin # is low enough to fall into the early production Zs that have the heavier clutch. The clutch engages very early to the floor. This is great for racing but can be a chore in daily driving.

He was kind enough to say that if you're having problems with the clutch or transmission, take care of it under warranty. You may want to wait for a while because the changes are ongoing. I may re-examine this at end of year one or mid-year two after all these issues are properly worked out by Nissan internal.

p.s. If you're reading this, thanks for going over all the questions with me. I owe you a drink on our next run.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:12 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

yep.....the Clevis Pin is too short on my clutch......and apparently, on a lot of other clutches also, since this part is now on national backorder.....my clutch isn't too stiff though.....i drive a hell of a lot, and in traffic a hell of a lot.....and its always been pretty decent
Old 04-28-2003, 11:23 AM
jran76

Good post and info, I had mine checked out, and of course the dealer said there is nothing wrong.... I will wait it out, and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:23 PM
themyst

I took it to the same dealer as slexis... they don't want to give me a new tranny... they want to try the clevis pin first... but if the damned thing grinds to hell and back anyway with the clutch fully engaged, its a shot transmission. they're just wasting my time, i think they should just give me a new tranny.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:43 PM
Slexis200

yeah i think the grinding is the tranny problems, but if your clutch isnt nice and light deffinitly go for a new clevis pin. Dont let the dealer make you feel stupid ( 3 different ones tried to) And two tranny later its finnaly going ok. The window fix didnt work. still have streaks. and i think they go up slowe than they used to.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Slexis200

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Slexis, was the grind just a loud syncro crunching noise whe going into gear? I have that for 2,3rd.

yes going into 3rd, and 5th...... terrible sound
Old 05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
da_cheif

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont use the clutch....just speed shift when the r.s are rite....snort
Old 05-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

great info! Mine are hard to engage into the gates, and sometimes it will grind on 2nd, but never 3rd. Gonna wait and see what happen...
Old 05-28-2003, 04:41 PM
zeroday

no offense meant by this, but do people read dates on threads before replying to them? Alot of old threads keep getting dug up around here.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Brad4rdHay

Has anyone conformed the 10/9 running change on the tranny?

Mine has that nasty syncro sound when going into 2nd, less into third. My problem isthat it makes shifting much slower, and thats deffinately not accceptable on a sports car that go fast much.

So, the "grind" isn't the same chill-inducing dog teeth grind when you try to go into gear with the clutch engaged, but is simply syncro "cough" with some resistance....cause i have the latter, and want to get the thing replaced.

Last edited by Brad4rdHay; 05-28-2003 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Finnaly got my second tranny (3rd) WOWWWWW!!!