Wet Weather Spin Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
2) how the hell do the modded guys keep their car from just flying off the road
We line our tires with 3M double sided tape.....
Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell would you guys do with some real power to the wheels?? I see guys on here spinning/wrecking their cars bone stock... if they are really that dangerous it raises two things in my mind...

1) how the hell could you claim the 350z is a great handling car if it spins out at the first sign of moisture...and...
2) how the hell do the modded guys keep their car from just flying off the road

I know for a fact that z28 drivers suck too, but most probably haven't figured out how to use the internet yet.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:53 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by UGOTZ'D
IT'S ALL ABOUT DRIVER'S EXPERIENCE/ COMMON SENSE!
And not disabling the traction control in the rain is a useful tip.
I have seen plenty of f-bodies lose it in the rain over the years as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I know for a fact that z28 drivers suck too, but most probably haven't figured out how to use the internet yet.
No cable/DSL/phone lines ran to their trailer park yet probably.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by UGOTZ'D
IT'S ALL ABOUT DRIVER'S EXPERIENCE/ COMMON SENSE!
+10000 , and learning to drive autocross and HPDE etc etc help out so much .
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Korki Buchek

In highschool, I slid my POS 85 celica down a hill sideways, I ended up sliding into the driveway of a mercedes dealership with the front half of the car and missing a new E-Class by about 18 inches. One of the scariest nights of my life. (This was from hard breaking to avoid hitting a car).

Doing donuts won't mess anything up but your tires, unless you hit something. Then expect serious alignment issues.

Be safe, don't let it happen again.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
Doing donuts won't mess anything up but your tires, unless you hit something. Then expect serious alignment issues.
Who was doing donuts? Just curious.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by Waveridingone
Does anyone know if there is an HPDE or local auto-x event in the Dallas area?
Check here:
https://my350z.com/forum/meet-ups-events-texas-455/
Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Kegsbane

Wow, we almost added another one to the pile.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Korki Buchek

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Who was doing donuts? Just curious.
If English is your second language I apologize, but do you read? Are you an idiot? Have you graduated primary school?

Maybe I should have said "Even if you were to do donuts in the car, it would not damage anything..." I figured that people would understand that what I meant was even if you intentionally spin the car completely around several times, it will not damage anything but the tires. So, spinning it around once at low speed will also not damage anything.

I don't understand why you feel the need to come into every thread and spew nonsense. Go play somewhere.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:43 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wet road with new tires from a stop. I am trying to figure out if I could spin out from a stop if I was trying. I guess if I turned the wheel hard, and hit the gas its possible. Other than that I don't get it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:47 PM
drivenCSZ

-Driven ( is just sitting here shaking his head, thats all i can do at this thread.)
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 PM
DJMatrix1067

alright, well there is only two ways i can imagine spinning from a 5-10 mph roll.

probably the first and most obvious is that he freaked, and accidentally slammed the gass instead of brake (both are a mistake in the case of a spin)

Second, i am suprised no one asked this, but what was the road surface paved with. In dallas, you can either be running on concrete (the most slip resistant), or Tarred roads (yes we still tar and feather in texas), or asphalt (the most slippery **** out there).

In my Z, the road i run on to get to my house is paved with asphalt. from 15 mph in first gear (once i start getting into the power band, my car will immediately start to go sideways in wet conditions, and i have 275/35/18 G-Force T/A KDW (flame tread pattern) in the rear. without VDC i could eassssily go 180. 5 mph, i cant really see, but in an auto, maybe it shifted weird around 5-10 and caused a sudden wheel spin? i donno, i mean the possibilities are endless.

just go easy. and get new tires. seriously. potenza's are ****.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Waveridingone

DJ - I'm just North of Frisco and the road is asphalt and it was raining. Like I'd mentioned the vehicle in front of me started and slipped and when I moved up I slipped as well. I took it easy and was rolling when the next thing I knew I was sideways like on ice and that was all it took. No slamming on the gas. I'm not new to driving so we can put that one to rest as well. I've just never experienced something like this before and after having the Z for a short time I didn't want to have screwed something up. I'm still thinking that a combo of the rain, oil, and new noob mistake of taking the traction control off contributed to the spin. The other vehicles that I've owned have been standards except my Excursion. The wheel was straight as well but tried to stear into the spin and then had to the reverse the wheel as I went backwards so I'd go into this driveway and not the ditch. The light that we all had to stop at was flashing because the storm had knocked out the power in the area by the way. After the spin I went to the police station and reported that the surface my have something on it so others wouldn't have a similiar experience. The office drove off to the location to investigate. Hopefully that helps explain some more to everyone interested.

Last edited by Waveridingone; 05-25-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 PM
HighwaySpeed

Lightbulb

DRIVE MORE CAREFULLY IN BAD WEATHER.

The GREEDY dealership representative is full of sh*t.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) how the hell could you claim the 350z is a great handling car if it spins out at the first sign of moisture...and..
Uhh...it DOESN'T. It is ctually very difficult to break teh rear end loose, even on wet pavement. You have to really hammer on it.

bill
Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 AM
NYPZ

i have an 03 base with no traction control, and ive driven in some downpours , slick roads , huge puddles....never spun out, never lost control. Just take it easy plain and simple.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:21 AM
06Gcoupin

Seriously, these cars ( I have a Gcoupe ) are very well balanced cars. If you want to go fast, do it in a straight line in dry weather. Around turns, simply dont mash the pedal, take it easy around the turn, and once you straighten out, mash that ****, and chirp every gear you want. In rain, dont disable VDC, and drive slow and cool. There is no need to be a speedracer everywhere you go. I swear, some people dont simply know how to drive in a cool, relaxed, cruising matter. These cars have power, but that doesnt mean you have to speed everywhere you go... I drive maybe 10+ above the speedlimit on city streets, IF that... When im coming on to an onramp to go on the highway, thats when I wind out 3rd, hit 4th hard and merge onto traffic, then I simply put it in cruise control and cruise.... Driving is not hard, I guess being an idiot is easy...
Old 05-26-2007, 04:57 PM
NightRida

Originally Posted by vo7848
I'm not sure why one would turn traction control off in the rain. Leave it on during rain, and if you must, turn it off when it's dry outside. Safe driving my friend, we don't want your next thread to be, "I totalled my Z"
"we don't want your next thread to be, "I totalled my Z""

Yes we do, the less Z's on the road the more unique ours will become.
Not trying to be an *** but if you don't have the common sense to leave TCS on in the rain, then perhaps you should have wrecked your car?
Peace!

Quick Reply: Wet Weather Spin Out