2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 06:52 AM
TBC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Questions

Hi to all,

I've just sold my S2000 and am thinking of getting a 350Z Touring in Silverstone with Orange leather with the Autobox when I get to the US. The website online is quoting a MSRP of about US$32-33. What are the prices like for a new car of that spec and colour? Are they going for below/at/above MSRP in the Bay Area?

Also, I notice a huge cross bar across the boot of the car, will I be able to fit a golf bag into it?

Thanks for any advice.

TBC
Old 04-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Nissan make a big deal about getting 2 golf bags in the car but that's wishful thinking. I can get a standard bag with my irons in but my woods have to go in out of the bag. For that reason, I put my clubs (in bag) in the front with me and put a seat belt round them.

I'm interested why you are asking about Bay Area prices and talking about US spec when you have a UK address ?

By the way - the 350Z is all that and you will not be disappointed but don't by an auto - 6 speed manual is the only way to go !
Old 04-30-2003, 07:14 AM
TBC

Coz I'll be moving there in a few months
Old 04-30-2003, 07:23 AM
JPinSF

Default Welcome to the Bay Area!

Since the weather here hasn't been that great lately, and when it was I had other plans.... So needless to say, I haven't had a chance to slide my clubs into the Z.

I have a stand bag, and it looks like it should fit. However, I don't think I would want to risk scratching up the area in front of the rear strut tie cross-member just to test whether or not another set will fit (according to the manual, one goes in the rear area, and another is supposed to go in front of the bar.)

Good luck with the move... BTW, in which city are you planning to live?

-JP
Old 04-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Originally posted by TBC
Coz I'll be moving there in a few months
Cool. I made the move from the UK to upstate NY almost 3 years ago. Good luck
Old 04-30-2003, 07:33 AM
TBC

I'll be going to Grad School and will be living in Palo Alto.

TBC
Old 04-30-2003, 07:40 AM
JPinSF

Default Stanford?

Palo Alto is a great area!

As for the local Nissan Dealer's, there are quite a few. I live in San Francisco, work in the East Bay. I purchased from a dealer in Berkeley. I sent emails to several dealers looking for a Z to take a look at up close, and ended up getting 1900 below MSRP on a Chrome Silver Performance model.

Before you arrive, do a search on Nissanusa.com for the dealers in your area. I think the zip code for the search you could use for that area is 94041? That is Los Altos/Mountain View I believe. If not 94040 which I know is Mountain View. Right next door to Palo Alto.

Best of luck with the move, and the new car.

As a side note, there are some great courses in this area. I am sure you will enjoy golfing here in the Summer!

-JP
Old 04-30-2003, 09:34 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, grad school at Stanford with a new Z & golf clubs! Nice way to come to the US of A. Congrats; Stanford is tough to get into.

On buying a Zzzz there are numerous Z dealers in the Bay area.
Generally, MSRP has been the going rate in NoCal but some guys have gotton a deal at a grand or so below.

One suggestion if you want to get the car thing going before you get here. You might contact a car broker who will do your shopping before you arrive. I've used a broker on my last two cars & won't buy any other way. Dealer pays the broker. If your interested my broker is in NorCal (Sacramento area). She has contacts throughout the state. If interested PM me & I'll send you her phone & e-mail info.

Or you could go the Nissan web site & contact dealers yourself.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:39 AM
MallocFailure

I live in Mountain View (which borders Palo Alto). I also just got my Z -- paid MSRP for a performance model. You MIGHT be able to get a bit under MSRP in some areas, but I wouldn't count on it.

Falore Nissan in Sunnyvale still lists a dealer markup on the window stickers. I'm sure you could negotiate it away.

I bought mine from Magnussen's Nissan in Fremont. I'm quite pleased with the service I've received so far (plus I feel they gave me quite a fair amount on my trade-in.)

I STRONGLY recommend avoiding Stanford Nissan in Palo Alto. I had the worst dealership experience in my life at that place. (Long story short: They took my trade-in keys for 'appraisal' and wouldn't give them back even after 3 requests. I nearly started to panic.)

Let me know if I can offer any other advice.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:54 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

By the way, I don't know about car dealers in the UK but over here you are wise to start with the assumption they are all ignorant lying thieves who would sell there first born for a buck.
Not all but most.

Eithor use a broker or let one of the good folk here who has bought a Z in the Bay area run interference for you by making an introduction.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
michaelgamrat

I can fit two bags of clubs in mine, no problems. Although the bags weren't anything big or fancy...
Old 04-30-2003, 11:34 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Er I think you made the wrong grad school choice going to the Stanfurd Junior University, j/k

I bought mine from Palo Alto Nissan for $1500 under MSRP in March. I know another poster had a problem with them but I went through their internet sales dept and had no problems (didn't hassle me when I asked about a trade in either, told me straight up that it's better if I sell it myself.)

Really wherever you buy you SHOULD NOT have to pay MSRP or above. More and more people in the Bay Area are buying for UNDER MSRP.

If you don't mind the drive you should also check out San Rafael Nissan in Marin (you'll want to familiarize yourself with Marin anyways, great place...) I've seen quite a number of posts from people went there with good results.

When I was shopping for mine Hayward Nissan and Hanlee's Hilltop Nissan in Richmond also offered below MSRP.

The one dealer you'll want to avoid is Steven's Creek...
Old 04-30-2003, 11:38 AM
TBC

Thanks for all the tips. Yes, I'm indeed going to Stanford this fall, but won't be expecting to move over till about september (unless my plans change).

As for buying a car goes, there's no way I'm going to put any cash down on a car that I havn't driven. The Z will be released here in the UK this October. I've seen quite a few in the flesh during my last visit to the Bay Area this March, but I always like to try before I buy.

The gf wants an autobox but if they're lousy to drive, I might consider a TT instead. Maybe also a G35? What do you guys thinks of that car?

Am really looking forward to getting some golf in, I havn't touched my clubs for almost a year now because of my academic commitments. I heard the Stanford golf course is supposed to be pretty good. And would be the best value for me in terms of $$$. I do know the big name courses there, Olympic Club, Pebble Beach, Cypress Point, even some of the more affordable ones like the Presidio, Tilden Park ......

Now all I need to do is take the damn CA driving test, apparently the DMV requires that I have to take a driving test again even though I've got a British licence.

Thanks for the well wishes.....

TBC
Old 05-01-2003, 03:08 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Originally posted by TBC
Driving test
Yes - I had to sit a NY driving test although I have a UK license. So easy though. Hope you've got a load of cash 'cos you may find that even although you have perfect credit rating in UK it will be nonexistent in US. If you are talking about the Audi TT they are pretty but there is no comparison with the 350Z. The G35 is a great choice if you want that sort of thing - but AT ???? 6 speed MT man!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:12 PM
D'oh

As a CAL (UC Berkeley) Alum, I must say BOOOOO! to Stanfurd, hehe.

Congrats anyways though!

Also, stay away from Falore! Those bastards tried to get me to pay 3K over MSRP on my preorder, when other dealers were selling with no markup. So, I went to Freeman Nissan in Santa Rosa (about an hour north of SF) and got mine for MSRP without any hassle. Not sure if they are offering anything under MSRP, but they were really cool with the pre-order.

Don't sweat the driver's license testing, they only care about things like, "How many feet are you allowed to park from train tracks," and "How far before turning should you signal." And remember, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road over here!

Take care!

-D'oh!
Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Z-Force

Default well....

i just bought one, it cost me 25000 out the door which means with tax and license.....hope this helps...(AUTO, TOURING, W/O NAV.)
Old 05-02-2003, 04:22 AM
Cyase

Touring for 25,000???? #($*@(!!
Old 05-02-2003, 06:02 AM
TBC

Well, my sis who graduated from Cal was pretty smug when I got into Stanford and not Berkeley. And I've actually been pulled over and towed (long story) in Berekley for driving the wrong way around a roundabout .

How bout insurance costs? I'm 25 and have 2 years no claims bonus here in the UK, can that be applied in the US to reduce my premium?

After reading some of the other posts, I'm beginning to consider some other alternatives (rightly so, given the amount of money spent) such as: G35c, used Audi TT, used Boxster, used 993?..... Any comment on the market for these in the Bay Area?

I would hate to buy a car and regret it, I had an S2000 for a year here in the UK and felt that it was one of the best decisions I made (to buy the S2K). Now I'm kinda hoping that my next purchase would be equally enjoyable (and financially prudent too).

Thanks to all for the tips.

TBC
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Welsh 350Z N

[i] How bout insurance costs?[/B]
I got my insurance through a company called AIG. They can take your UK history into account and gave me great rates - even lower than many people are paying domestic companies when they have years of US driving history. Most domestic US companies will not normally consider your UK NCB. I was hooked up with AIG through my company as part of my relo package and you kind of become a 'member' in order to get the benefits but I'm sure you will be able to do that. Just an idea. BTW - go for the Z !
Old 05-02-2003, 06:30 AM
TBC

Default Tax on used cars?

Welsh,

You don't pay VAT for used car purchases over here. I heard somewhere that in the US, you need to pay taxes on used cars. Can you confirm that?

TBC

Quick Reply: 350Z Questions